SoundExchange Blinks

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Arp2

SoundExchange Blinks

Post by Arp2 »

http://kurthanson.com/archive/news/071307/index.shtml

Note the "And we don't want them to stop streaming."

The "geese" were about to commit suicide in defiance, and SoundExchange seems to have realized that smaller golden eggs are better than no golden eggs.

Of course, the "discrimination" against "real" or "bigger" broadcasters remains......
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Christ. Now I have an even bigger headache. :x
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Webstreaming will become huge, as a glut of wi-fi capable cell phones and wi-fi receivers will be hitting the market in the next 1-2 years.

The RIAA and their constant royalty rate arguments is the single biggest deterrent to this industry taking off.

So, I guess they're changing strategy now to pretty much ignore small webcasters, since the revenue there is small anyway, and instead try to make up the difference with the "big" webcasters, whatever that official definition is...

I think that a rate system that measures yearly revenue is much fairer than a "pay per play" system. What irks the RIAA more? Simply playing/promoting their music "ota" where a few hear it, or making a bunch of money off of playing their music, without compensation?

Most webcasters don't mind compensating so long as the rates are fair, but most webcasters don't make any money, either. If the original rates would have been enforced, then they would have had to shut down, leaving only a select few big groups to do all the webstreaming.

Some would argue that that was the original intent.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

PR move. They will come back with a proposal, as soon as Congress is safely out of town for the summer, that changes rates a few cents, but is otherwise just as onerous as their original proposal.
This organization is set up to specifically shutdown webcasting