WTF? And from one of our own???

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

herdgirl72

WTF? And from one of our own???

Post by herdgirl72 »

Senate committee OKs indecency bill
Posted on : 2007-07-20 | Author : Entertainment News Editor
News Category : US

WASHINGTON, July 19 (UPI) A U.S. Senate committee has approved a bill to extend a federal watchdog agency's authority over broadcast of one-time, fleeting expletives or images.

Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., sponsored the bill following a federal appellate court decision that inadvertent airing of fleeting expletives did not constitute indecency violations, Daily Variety reported Thursday.

The court, citing U.S. Supreme Court precedent that broadcasters should not be held liable in such instances, voided a Federal Communications Commission finding.

The Senate Commerce Committee approved the bill without objection. If signed into law, it would make broadcasters responsible for the slip-ups, Variety said.

FCC chairman Kevin J. Martin said in a statement the committee's approval "affirmed the commission's ability to protect our children from indecent language and images on television and radio. Significantly, members of Congress stated once again what we on the commission and every parent already knows; even a single word or image can indeed be indecent."

The National Association of Broadcasters said broadcast stations "go to great lengths" to prevent objectionable language.

"This bill is premised on the completely false notion that broadcasters are clamoring to air 'F-bombs' and 'S-words,'" said NAB spokesman Dennis Wharton.
Arp2

Re: WTF? And from one of our own???

Post by Arp2 »

herdgirl72 wrote:And from one of our own???
Who is "our?"
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

Ok..well technically not "my" own since I don't live in West
Virginia anymore. However, for the "ours" that still live in
West Virginia.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Jay bought the governorship, then bought the senate seat.

Carpet-bagger from way back.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

I wrote him in 2004 when this indecency crap first started, and told him what I thought about it.

His response was to go take a hike.

But at least he wrote back... I never heard from Byrd.
klever

Post by klever »

New York's own.
Sharon of course has been a big shot with Public Broadcasting for years.
He has never been a friend to the private sector broadcasting.
And, Mr. Taggart is right he most definitely bought his way into office, only way he could do it he is dumber than dirt, that is why he has floundered in the Senate for years, can't buy the Presidency and everytime he has been interviewed to be a VP running mate he has failed the test.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Re: WTF? And from one of our own???

Post by Zak Tyler »

UPI wrote: Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., sponsored the bill following a federal appellate court decision that inadvertent airing of fleeting expletives did not constitute indecency violations, Daily Variety reported Thursday.

The court, citing U.S. Supreme Court precedent that broadcasters should not be held liable in such instances, voided a Federal Communications Commission finding.
ok, i haven't taken a "government" class since 89. I may be wrong here, and i'm sure someone will correct me if i am.....

BUT
isn't it the supreme courts job to make rulings that could potentially change the way our government works??? the appellate court was just doing their job right??? or am i totally reading this wrong. i've had to read through the quote 3-4 times just to make sure i'm getting the proper message (not written very well, imho, maybe, it's, a, comma, thing,)

or is he trying to get the S.C. to reverse their own ruling???

i'm so confused.... i need coffee
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.