Photos WWOD Lynchburg, VA

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

fmksey

Photos WWOD Lynchburg, VA

Post by fmksey »

Here are some 1970s photos of WWOD. The station went dark in the 80s and the owners boarded up the building and left most the equipment. Some new photos were taken recently of abandon building - equipment still there. Kind of spooky!

http://www.twincitiesradioairchecks.com/wwod.html
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Thank you!

I'm not familiar with the station, but I love seeing all this radio history!!

:)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

"THIS IS THE AM TRANSMITTER" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone, at some point in their career, has had to work with (or even for) an idiot. That is an idiot label if I have ever seen one.

The 2007 pictures remind me of the old WZZW building in Milton shortly after ARG bought it and relocated the studios to 134.
fmksey

Post by fmksey »

fanofbigmedia wrote:"THIS IS THE AM TRANSMITTER" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was at an AM/FM combo in the 70s and the guy on the air did turn off the wrong transmitter. AM was a daytimer and signed off at 5:15 or 5:30 in the winter. He confused xmitters and FM went down. The xmitters were both Gates/Harris from the late 60s early 70s and, yes, the boxes looked alike --- except the AM was alot larger(AM was 5k, FM was 3000erp.) He didn't catch it until 7pm when a high baseketball was to be on FM --- and people started calling about why the game wasn't on.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

fmksey wrote:The xmitters were both Gates/Harris from the late 60s early 70s and, yes, the boxes looked alike.
WIRO and WITO had the same set-up ...

:)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

That was awesome! It was spooky, huh? Reminds me of the pictures of the abandoned Blues Brothers mall, or the vacated town next to Chernobyl.

How could he not have swiped some of those carts and tapes to see what was on them, though? I didn't see any evidence or damp in the pictures, chances are they would still have played. Of course, I'm a nosey bugger.... :wink:
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

a bystander was quoted as saying "didn't i see (insert old wv radio person) trying to crawl out of the rubble in one of those pictures?"
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Donald F. Niles

Post by Donald F. Niles »

I walked into WWOD in late 1971 and was told there was an opening but I was working at WBOY Radio in Clarksburg and did'nt want to make a move..I was hired at WLLL in 1970 when I was working part time at WHAR(My First Radio Job) and again backed out because I did'nt want to leave Clarksburg..The PD was Stan Jayson,who later was a newsman at WCHS-TV in Charleston..I remember WLLL being a Top 40 Daytimer with WWOD picking up the Top 40 after WLLL signed off..Other WLLL Jocks I remember were Jerry Rogers who went on to WSGA in Savannah,J. Paul Emerson,and Don Frye...I have a faint memory of maybe hearing Dick Bartley on WWOD.