Arbitron's PPM

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

AmpedNow

Arbitron's PPM

Post by AmpedNow »

Is this coming to WV anytime soon?

In markets where this has been rolled out, the results have been quite interesting.

Formats like alternative, active, and even oldies that were left for dead a couple years ago are way up. The Buzz in Houston has went from #15 to #2 12+. Rock is also way up in Philly and L.A. The rumor on the other boards is that CC/Los Angeles may flip KBIG to alternative to challenge KROQ, since they completely own the 18-34M demo, and are just about the biggest moneymaker in L.A. now.

(Side note: I think that PPM could've saved the old WHFS from going espanol, and even the original CBS-FM from getting hiJACKed in the first place).

Country and AC seems to be relatively unchanged.

Urban radio seems to be taking the biggest hit under PPM right now.

It will be interesting to see how much the radio landscape changes in the next year or so...
ashton

Post by ashton »

That's interesting that urban is down in the PPM markets, considering the market segment's fascination for gadgets. You'd expect them to jump up a bit.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

As I've said before, I'm no radio man but I sense a change in television coming soon and if logic prevails it will happen in radio and even movies, theres gonna be a fresh white house coming in and the vibe of this country is changing, I got an eerie feeling the 90's are about to happen again.... :?
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

I have no idea what that means, but cycles are about 40 years, not 15.

So we're heading into the late 60s and early 70s again, not the 90s.

But we might be talking about different things.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

FearPeddler wrote:change in television coming soon
The data collected by Tivo on television usage (including time shifted television viewing) is vastly better than any stupid diary Nielsen can get out of a family of 5.

Diaries are obsolete and need to be eliminated from the results. We need more exacting methods of measurement.

Big Poppa Jay's response in 3.....2.....1.....
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

"Hello! This is 'Chris' calling from Arbitron, the company that compiles the ratings for the radio stations in the area, and we'd like to implant a chip in your head! Is that something you'd be willing to help us with? As a token of our appreciation for implanting a chip in your head, we'd be willing to send you one dollar....!"
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Oldiesdude

Post by Oldiesdude »

Arp2 said:
"Hello! This is 'Chris' calling from Arbitron..."
If you have not seen the new issue of "Wired", there is a good story about
Arbitron.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2005/05/67390
I'm just happy to know the Dougger!
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

PPM will never happen in small markets.

I've begged our Arbitron Council rep to at least bring up doing internet/email based diaries. Only 1200 in tab and a 30% response rate determine my destiny now and I'm not comfortable with that.

We'll see what happens. In the meantime you have to deal with what is in front of you. The way things are is the way things are. The sky is blue, water is wet, fire is hot, and Arbitron is your report card.

On the other subject, why is anyone surprised that Rock stations have much more listening that is reported in diaries?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

..since most rock radio listeners can't write.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Another rocker returns in Philly...

http://94wysp.com/

The only talk they have now is in drivetimes, with O & A keeping mornings and Kidd Chris in afternoons. They're still the Eagles flagship as well.

So far, they sound active... But the automation could be tightened up some.

This was predictable, but interesting because there are now three rockers in the market, up from one only six months ago. Philly is a PPM test market.

The rumors concerning KBIG/KYSR musical chairs in L.A. are still flying fast and furious. The flip to either alternative, 'Fresh', or Spanish is expected Monday, in some order. L.A. begins PPM really soon.

PPM is already shaking things up. But it will only be used in the top 50 markets, with the top 10 using it by year's end.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

http://kbig.com/main.html

Not very creative, but easy to remember.