Station Swap

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Mr. Jones

Station Swap

Post by Mr. Jones »

All Access:
Station Swap In West Virginia

TODD P. ROBINSON's WVJT, LLC swaps Country WKCJ (THE BEAR 103.1)/LEWISBURG, WV to MICHAEL J. KIDD d/b/a GREENBRIER RADIO for Oldies WRON-F (97.7 RON FM)/RONCEVERTE, WV. WRON has applied to move south to ELLISTON-LAFAYETTE, VA, between ROANOKE and BLACKSBURG, with a class A facility.
Airwaves

Post by Airwaves »

...so what does this mean for Greenbrier County radio? How could you move that class A so far to the southeast? Greenbrier County seems to be OK economically,a nd this is a loss of a frequency for them. Roanoke-Lynchburg (Bedford?) Is quite a distance, and if a class A at 97.7 existed there it could not step on one in Ronceverte? ....why not just get a frequency in Western Va rather than this shell game?? Maybe I'm just tired and can't think.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Three requirements for such an FM move:

1. If you disregard the existing site, the new site meets all minimum spacing requirements under the rules to other co-channel and adjacent channel stations;

2. The new site would be mutually exclusive to a station at the old site. For an A, this would allow a move of as much as 60 miles or so;

3. The removal of the station from the present community of license to a new town does not leave the former COL without service. In this case, there's the AM station licensed to Ronceverte.

This moves the 97.7 frequency into the Roanoke metro (it would appear) which required an extra showing that Elliston-Lafayette is an independent community. Otherwise, this was just a "minor change" under the rules.
lastone

Post by lastone »

The removal of the station from the present community of license to a new town does not leave the former COL without service. In this case, there's the AM station licensed to Ronceverte
Reguardless....West Virginia still looses a station!
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

We used to have a board member who was News Director at WRON.

Is he still affiliated with WRON?

His screen name is on the tip of my tongue, but for the life of me, I can't remember it right now. He was a former U.S. Marine and was very proud of his service to the country.

Hope he is doing well and won't be affected by this change.

:?
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:We used to have a board member who was News Director at WRON.
I figured it out ...

"Rock"

Rings doorbell.
You home, dude?

:D
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.