Interesting article...

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Lee

Interesting article...

Post by Lee »

From Foxnews.com:
Bruce: Magic Refused Radio Play

Bruce Springsteen should be very happy. He has the No. 1 album, a possible Grammy for Best Album of the Year for "Magic," an album full of singles and a sold-out concert tour.

Alas, there’s a hitch: Radio will not play "Magic." In fact, sources tell me that Clear Channel has sent an edict to its classic rock stations not to play tracks from "Magic." But it’s OK to play old Springsteen tracks such as "Dancing in the Dark," "Born to Run" and "Born in the USA."

Just no new songs by Springsteen, even though it’s likely many radio listeners already own the album and would like to hear it mixed in with the junk offered on radio.

Why? One theory, says a longtime rock insider, "is that the audience knows those songs. Of course, they’ll never know these songs if no one plays them."

"Magic," by the way, has sold more than 500,000 copies since its release on Oct. 2 and likely will hit the million mark. That’s not a small achievement these days, and one that should be embraced by Clear Channel.

But what a situation: The No. 1 album is not being played on any radio stations, according to Radio & Records, which monitors such things. Nothing. The rock songs aren’t on rock radio, and the two standout "mellow" tracks — "Magic" and "Devil’s Arcade" — aren’t even on "lite" stations.

The singles-kinda hits, "Radio Nowhere" and "Living in the Future" — which would have been hits no questions asked in the '70s, '80s and maybe even the '90s, also are absent from Top 40.

What to do? Columbia Records is said to be readying a remixed version of "The Girls in their Summer Clothes," a poppy Beach Boys-type track that has such a catchy hook fans were singing along to it at live shows before they had the album. Bruce insiders are hopeful that with a push from Sony, "Girls" will triumph.

I’m not so sure.

Clear Channel seems to have sent a clear message to other radio outlets that at age 58, Springsteen simply is too old to be played on rock stations. This completely absurd notion is one of many ways Clear Channel has done more to destroy the music business than downloading over the last 10 years. It’s certainly what’s helped create satellite radio, where Springsteen is a staple and even has his own channel on Sirius.

It’s not just Springsteen. There is no sign at major radio stations of new albums by John Fogerty or Annie Lennox, either. The same stations that should be playing Santana’s new singles with Chad Kroeger or Tina Turner are avoiding them, too.

Like Springsteen, these "older" artists have been relegated to something called Triple A format stations — i.e. either college radio or small artsy stations such as WFUV in the Bronx, N.Y., which are immune from the Clear Channel virus of pre-programming and where the number of plays per song is a fraction of what it is on commercial radio.
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I heard "Radio Nowhere" on Sirius' "The Pulse" the other day. FWIW, it's a great song until he starts singing.

So how can someone be too old for rock radio? What next; no Hendrix because he's too dead?
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Interesting article...

Post by Bob Loblaw »

FoxNews wrote:...sources tell me that Clear Channel has sent an edict to its classic rock stations not to play tracks from "Magic." But it’s OK to play old Springsteen tracks such as "Dancing in the Dark," "Born to Run" and "Born in the USA."
But no proof.

Also missing: Classic Rock stations don't play currents.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Bob Loblaw wrote:
FoxNews wrote:...sources tell me that Clear Channel has sent an edict to its classic rock stations not to play tracks from "Magic." But it’s OK to play old Springsteen tracks such as "Dancing in the Dark," "Born to Run" and "Born in the USA."
But no proof.

Also missing: Classic Rock stations don't play currents.
I have to agree. This is not classic rock. That means I should hear the new Bruce Springsteen on the rock station WMMR-FM in Philly and not its classic rock sister station WMGK-FM.

Same goes for the Eagles new release which has been so perverted by Wal Mart that it is scary.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

cgarison wrote:...Same goes for the Eagles new release which has been so perverted by Wal Mart that it is scary.
Agreed.
A little voice inside my head said don't look back...
Rock

Post by Rock »

Jeepy, would you elaborate on this 'perversion' of the new Eagles album? I'd heard that it's distributed solely by Wallyworld, but not much more. I never thought the word 'perverted' would ever be used within the context of the Eagles...boring, yeah..used that one myself, but... :)
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Some classic rock stations do play new stuff by classic rock artists, i.e.Springsteen, Eagles, etc.

But what do I know? I spent the afternoon during a remote at a car lot next to a methadone clinic.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

can we find out who wrote that article? it sounds to me like this person has NO CLUE about radio, or how it works... possibly doesn't even listen to terrestrial radio.... but thats another arguement.... hopefully he didn't call R&R or log on to their website expecting to see stats on classic rock stations... and as pointed out classic rock stations, by nature and title, don't play currents. but lately some have because of the recent resurgence of classic rock artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Rush, Ozzy etc... BUT none of the publications monitor them because it's not a profit center for them, it's just the way it is. i think a few emails from us could enlighten this guy, and maybe he'll do a little more research next time instead of ranting his "ignorant" opinion. i use ignorant because it truly is. it took me about a minute to log onto the mediabase website (and given he's a "reporter" should have access to that site if he wishes) and found this information.
these 5 stations have Radio Nowhere in power or secondary power. and if you notice the locations of these stations, it makes total sense that these stations are on it.

WZZO-FM * Allentown
WHJY-FM * Providence
WGIR-FM * Manchester, NH
WHEB-FM * Portsmouth, NH
WDHA-FM * Morristown, NJ

and, OH LOOK.... even the dreaded dr. evil of broadcasting is playing it
Clear Channel Communications Mainstream Rock
this week 69 total spins 657

now, Bruce's NEW single

Livin’ in the future. these 4 stations have it in a secondary power category... again location plays a big part in "why".... not sure what Raleigh's excuse is... :)

WDHA-FM * Morristown, NJ
WBBB-FM * Raleigh
WHEB-FM * Portsmouth, NH
WHJY-FM * Providence

and to be totally honest with you, my professional opinion on these songs, they're "just ok". a "just ok" song usually NEVER plays on our air. occasionally we'll sneak one in, but there has to be a logical reason for it. and i think that's how most of my colleagues (if that's what they're called) feel as well.

jay, professional opinion on these? Brian? Dawn? any other rock programmers n' music folk?

i'd still love to bombard this guy with emails from people in the know... for the sole purpose of possibly advancing his career by making him actually research something before writing "opinion" and "hear-say" about it....
lost cause? most likely...
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Zak Tyler wrote:......... it makes total sense that these stations are on it.

WZZO-FM * Allentown
WHJY-FM * Providence
WGIR-FM * Manchester, NH
WHEB-FM * Portsmouth, NH
WDHA-FM * Morristown, NJ
Hmmmm.. All (sans Allentown which is slightly more Anglo) are very, very white towns with a strong Mediterranean heritage. Plus Manchester, Portsmouth, and Providence have attractions that bring a strong cross section of young Americans to those cities. I guess Boston is too Irish to appreciate Bruce and are still listening to the Drop Kick Murphy's and Flogging Mollys.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Rock wrote:Jeepy, would you elaborate on this 'perversion' of the new Eagles album? I'd heard that it's distributed solely by Wallyworld, but not much more. I never thought the word 'perverted' would ever be used within the context of the Eagles...boring, yeah..used that one myself, but... :)
It not that the album is perverted because it is good although nothing on it strikes me as hit material. A good album to reflect on the greatness of this band in the history of popular music.

The distribution method and selling exclusive rights to Wal Mart is just messed up. The only place to snag a copy via download is from the Wal Mart Music store and if you want you music in the form of atoms without DRM, then you have to purchase it from either Wal Mart or Sams Club.

Although... Long Road to Eden is on MP3Sparks for $3.92. :wink: I love the new capitalists in Russia.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

The only thing I've heard off the new Springsteen is Radio Nowhere and I'd play it if I were programming a Mainstream that also played the Boss. I'd probably spike it in on a Classic Rock much the same way VH-1 Classic does, old one, new one.

The Eagles, who now totally control their own product, made the decision to go with Walmart. I expect there's a few dollars in it for them.
Boss 97

WKQV 105.5

Post by Boss 97 »

Shame CC and others are refusing to play Springsteen.

WKQV 105.5 mixes new material into our Classic Rock and yea
we play Bruce Springsteen's old and new songs, plus the same
goes for the Eagles new CD. Would not want to have it any
other way. Rock on Central WV!
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

the reason they're on them is totally geographic... he's from jersey, always has a huge following there... that's why these stations are on them, because they HAVE to be... they belong on AAA or AC if at all... they're not that good...

[/injecting personal opinion]
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.