Robert Harvit R.I.P.

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

genlock

Robert Harvit R.I.P.

Post by genlock »

MINGO COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The man who was responsible for creating a powerful radio signal in the mountains of southern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky has died.

Bob Harvit, the founder of WXCC-FM in Mingo county and former owner of WBTH-AM, died Monday at his home in Miami Beach, FL at the age of 70.

After getting a license for the FM signal in the 1970's, the station boosted to 100 thousand watts.

The Mingo county native was enshrined last fall into the West Virginia Broadcaster Association's Hall of Fame.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
lastone

Post by lastone »

I had nothing but respect for my former boss, as you may have noticed in reading my stories. After all, Bob did let me design and build a radio station from scratch (and no budget).

Just sad he couldn't see the 30th anniversary come round' this October.

My heartfelt condolences to Cathy (Whitt) his daughter and the rest of the family.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Ace Purple

Re: Robert Harvit R.I.P.

Post by Ace Purple »

genlock wrote:After getting a license for the FM signal in the 1970's, the station boosted to 100 thousand watts.
From what I've been able to find online, WXCC broadcasts at 75,000 watts (1112' 75kw DA C1). Was it forced to lower its power at some point?
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

No no,

The station's HAAT -Height above average terrain- would allow them
to either explore a tower at the HAAT and a transmitter at 100,000 watts, or building a super-tall tower (or put it on a super-tall mountain, but less signal output. Either way it's the same circle they said you could cover.

Up to the owners-------less power---big tower, OR--- more power---less tower.
Jeff Miller

Post by Jeff Miller »

There are obituaries with more information in the Beckley and Williamson newspapers:

http://www.register-herald.com/obituari ... 30946.html

http://www.williamsondailynews.com/arti ... 332723.txt

I didn't know Bob, but I remember hearing him on WWNR in Beckley, where he was sales manager in the early 1960s and did some on air work. He lived about three or four houses up the street from me on Mankin Avenue, but I was only about 12 years old at the time.

I maintain a web site for alumni of Woodrow Wilson High School in Beckley. He was an alum of the school (class of 1955), and he made a generous donation to defray the cost of the web site a couple of years ago.