Informing The Stupid Of The DTV Switch

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Mr. Jones

Informing The Stupid Of The DTV Switch

Post by Mr. Jones »

I think this article highlights a great idea for use of the analog channels after February 17.

http://www.tvnewsday.com/articles/2008/05/30/daily.3/
LEAVING THE LIGHTS ON FOR THE DTV STRAGGLERS
TVNEWSDAY, May. 30, 1:10 PM ET

Capitol Broadcasting's Jim Goodmon says the Wilmington, N.C., stations that are participating in the FCC's September test switch-over to digital will run explanatory information on their analog channels for viewers who aren't ready after the switch over. He's urging the FCC to allow all stations to do the same following next February's for-real transition.

By Harry A Jessell

Broadcasters and cable operators are dutifully conducting DTV education campaign, trying to insure that no viewer is left behind on Feb. 17, 2009.

But, let’s face it, many will.

As I pointed out here last October, some people are so dense or out of touch that they will miss or not comprehend the blizzards of PSAs, snipes and crawls about DTV that they will be exposed to over the next nine months.

Others are pathological procrastinators. They will put off getting the coupons and buying the A-to-D settop box until it is too late. They will be up the digital stream without a paddle.

If there are 35 million homes today that rely on over-the-air reception on at least one of their sets, there could be a millions of homes on the morning of Feb. 18 where folks will be wondering what happened to their favorite TV shows.

This is why on in past columns I have passed along the idea that a man in Arlington, Va., dropped into the FCC suggestion box.

The idea is that least one TV stations in each market stay on the air in analog after the cut-off to broadcast a slide or a looping video that tries to explain to left-behind viewers what happened to the analog signals.

It’s a good idea, but it has lacked a strong advocate.

Until now.

Earlier this week, Capitol Broadcasting’s Jim Goodmon called me to say that all the stations involved in the Wilmington, N.C., DTV transition trial have decided to try some post-cut off education using their analog channels.

At the request of FCC Chairman Kevin Martin, the Wilmington stations agreed to make the leap to digital on Sept. 8—five months before everybody else—just to see how it goes and what obstacles might pop up.

Goodmon’s flagship is WRAL, the CBS affiliate in Raleigh, but his small group also includes the CBS affiliate in Wilmington, WILM.

“We got damn serious about the transition since we are going to do it in September and this is the one thing we came up with for the people that we miss somehow—the people who are not clued in,” Goodmon told me.

“When they turn on their TV and go to the channel that they normally go to, they won’t see programming,” he said. “But they will see a graphic that tells them who to call and what to do.”

Goodmon believes that what’s good for Wilmington is good for America.

Goodmon said that he will press the FCC give permission to every station to continue broadcasting such information on their analog channel after Feb. 17 for a limited period, perhaps 30 or 60 days.

The period may depend on what happens in Wilmington, he said. “That’s part of the experiment. How long we will get calls?”

Goodmon acknowledged that he was not enthusiastic about Wilmington trial at first, uncertain about what value it would have. “But I’m a big supporter now,” he said. “I’m ready to make it work.”

Just to be clear: Goodmon is not advocating any FCC mandates. Stations would be permitted to air the analog messages after the cut-off, but would not have to.

In fact, he pointed out, some stations would not be able to participate because they are scheduled to move their digital signal to their current analog channel prior to Feb. 17. Such stations would be forced to take their analog signals off the air.

This is a good idea that will benefit tremendously from Goodmon’s advocacy.

Inevitably, a good number of our fellow American will not “tune into” the DTV transition until they discover that they cannot tune in their local stations.

Rather than be confronted by snow, wouldn’t it be better that they receive a message about what’s going on?

As Goodmon said, “It’s kind of a last line of defense.”
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Informing The Stupid Of The DTV Switch

Post by Lester »

A little perspective from inside the fight.
tothedj wrote:As a resident of Wilmington, i agree with what Jim Goodmon said regarding "DTV", We had a "FCC Town Hall" meeting on Tuesday, May 27th here which i attended and many questions came up regarding "The Big Switch", especially the concern that when this market goes "digital" on Monday, September 8th, we could face the threat of a hurricane, and this is usually the week when these storms are very possible, this question was the one most there wanted answers to, and as a person who works in radio and has an agreement with one television station that provides weather , i
was wondering how they will get out the information since 87.7 FM, which currently provides audio, will be gone? From what i understand, we plan to set up a remote unit to transmit the audio over our stations, and they in turn will set up a camera in one of our studios, it's a clever idea, but if we are facing, say, a category 3 or 4, i'm not sure if this can be pulled off.
The biggest part of this change is educating the 7% who still depend on "over the air" service in the five North
Carolina counties served by market #135, but with the staff members spread out, these residents will get the
help they need to get the coupons and converter boxes, and even if you have cable or satellite, it will not hurt
to apply for these, because if you lose television service through them, you should have a backup plan, In
addition, if you have a "battery operated" analog TV, these will need to be replaced with digital ones, which
are a bit expensive right now, but will proabably come down on price over the coming months.
We are 100 days from switching in Wilmington, and 200 days for the rest of the United States, many issues
will be discussed between now and September and February 17th, 2009, but in order for the television viewer
to be ready, you need to start taking action now.
http://ncradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2745
Dave Loudin

Re: Informing The Stupid Of The DTV Switch

Post by Dave Loudin »

WJLA in DC will broadcast analog TV via a local LPTV after the switch.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.