Tube recommendation?!?

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Rock

Tube recommendation?!?

Post by Rock »

Ok, Engineers...I need your opinion. i'm looking for a final tube 5CX1500A...and they ain't cheap! However, I just received a good price quote from Greenstone USA, but have any of you done any business with them? What's your take? Would really appreciate a quick response!
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
genlock

Re: Tube recommendation?!?

Post by genlock »

Never heard of Greenstone.
I always dealt with the guys in Dallas, TX. Forget the company name.
Good luck. Tubes becoming expensive. And sometimes hard to get.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Rock

Post by Rock »

Amen to both. Found a rebuilt Eimac, will pay the same price as a new one from the new peeps, but Econco is a known value.
- Claire Wolfe
genlock

Post by genlock »

Econco IS Eimac.

CPI International, Inc. (NASDAQ: CPII) is the holding company for Communications & Power Industries, the largest[citation needed] manufacturer and rebuilder of electron devices (primarily vacuum tubes) in the United States. C&PI was founded in 1995 [1] when Varian Associates sold its electron-device business to concentrate on medical systems. Its major subsidiaries include Eimac (which manufactures new vacuum tubes for the broadcasting, radar, medical systems, and other applications), Econco (a vacuum-tube rebuilder), and Beverly Microwave Systems. CPI International made its initial public offering in April, 2006.[1]
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

If you have a Harris "K" or "H", get a 5CX1500B. You will get better tube life. Usually will need only minor re-tuning.
The "B" will probably work as well in the Collins/Continental 2.5 K of that era, but I haven't tried it. Our last 5CX1500B came from Econco, got about 4 years on it before we retired the transmitter with the installation of a new Nautel.

ALSO: With a higher powered exciter you can bypass the IPA stage in the Harris H/K models. E-mail me and I'll give you the details.
engineer

Post by engineer »

I have been having trouble with Econco 4CX3500 and 5000's with touchy screen current. You can't tune for best noise or load the tube like in the past. I've decided to try Freeland re-builds. If you send them a dud that can be rebuilt the prices is around 700 for a 4CX3500 or 5000.
Rock

Post by Rock »

Thanks for the help, Gentlemen. I think the last one we purchased was a Svetlana, or some such nonsense. I hate having to buy Russian or Chinese. It's the old, cold warrior in me. :)
- Claire Wolfe