WXIX says no to the Osbournes

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Mr. Jones

WXIX says no to the Osbournes

Post by Mr. Jones »

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009 ... /303300110
Citing racy content and bleeped-out obscenities, WXIX-TV (Channel 19) has pulled the plug on Fox’s “Osbournes Reloaded,” Tuesday night’s premiere for a new variety show starring rocker Ozzy Osbourne and his family.

Based on a 10-minute clip – and its position following family-friendly “American Idol” – Fox 19 and six other Fox affiliates owned by parent Raycom are refusing to air the special at 9:20 p.m. Tuesday.

“Had Fox scheduled this program in another time period, we might have done something different,” says Bill Lanesey, Channel 19 general manager.

An estimated 128,170 children ages 6-11 watch “American Idol” – TV’s No. 1 show again this season – on Channel 19, the Nielsen Co. says.

The premiere includes a sketch called the “Littlest Osbournes,” in which British child actors portray Ozzy and his wife, Sharon, as children trying to buy tickets for an R-rated movie. When the box-office woman says the children are too young, young Ozzy unloads a bleeped-out tirade.

“I just don’t think it’s right for kids to see that,” said Rick Oliver, Channel 19 operations manager, who screened the preview clips.

“Some people might find humor in that, but I don’t. This one just doesn’t feel right,” Lanesey says.

Oliver said he also saw and heard “pretty suggestive stuff” in a scene featuring an elderly female stripper, and blurred-out nudity in another segment. Fox has rated the show TV-14, meaning it might have material “unsuitable for children under 14,” according to broadcasters’ TV Parental Guidelines” adopted in 1997.

Only Raycom’s seven Fox stations are refusing to air the Osbournes, says Todd Adair, Fox publicist. Dayton’s WGRT-TV (Channel 45) will broadcast the show, a station spokeswoman said.

Fox also issued this statement today: “ ‘Osbournes Reloaded’ was thoroughly vetted by our standards and practices department to ensure it was appropriate for broadcast during the scheduled time period. If any network affiliate feels the programming may be inappropriate for its individual market, however, it has the right to pre-empt the program.”

TV station managers here through the years have balked at airing certain shows fearing they could offend the community or violate federal regulations. WCPO-TV (Channel 9) joined a majority of ABC affiliates in 2004 by refusing to air the Oscar-winning “Saving Private Ryan” because of its coarse language.

In the 1990s, WLWT-TV (Channel 5) refused to air some “Jerry Springer” shows because of potentially offensive content. CBS’ “Cher” show was censored here in the 1970s by a Channel 9 manager who thought her costumes were too revealing.
Fox 19 will start local news when “Idol” ends tonight, Lanesey says. The usually one-hour newscast will end at 10:30 p.m., and be followed by Steve Horstmeyer’s “Surviving Severe Weather” special.

Fox has ordered six episodes.

“The chances of us airing any, if they are after ‘American Idol,’ are very slim. But if they move to another time period, we’ll re-evaluate it,” Lanesey says.
Big Media

Re: WXIX says no to the Osbournes

Post by Big Media »

Mr. Jones wrote:An estimated 128,170 children ages 6-11 watch “American Idol”
Including my 7 year-old son, who saw the promos during AI and instantly said "ooo I am watching that." I said "ooo no you're not."
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Ozzy and Sharon were on Stern yesterday promoting the show. Great interview.

Got it set to record, if it isn't yanked locally before then.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Big Media wrote:Including my 7 year-old son, who saw the promos during AI and instantly said "ooo I am watching that." I said "ooo no you're not."
Responsible parenting -- what a novel idea!
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Ace Purple wrote:Responsible parenting -- what a novel idea!
True, but a 7 year old co-owner of the public airwaves now can't watch an OTA broadcast.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Yes, he can. The are other OTA broadcasts.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

And a ka-jillion cable channels, not owned by the public.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ace Purple wrote:
Big Media wrote:Including my 7 year-old son, who saw the promos during AI and instantly said "ooo I am watching that." I said "ooo no you're not."
Responsible parenting -- what a novel idea!
Personal responsibility period, an almost extinct concept.
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached"
-Manuel II Palaiologos
Byzantine Emperor (1391-1425)
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Lester wrote:And a ka-jillion cable channels, not owned by the public.
Many of which show child appropriate programming at all hours of the day.

I get your point though. I always did. I get it more now than I used to. I still think parents have to be the ones to decide what is appropriate for their child and make entertainment choices based on that as illustrated beautifully by the parents in this very thread.