Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas Dies

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Force Commander

Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas Dies

Post by Force Commander »

From http://www.allaccess.com
Hall of Fame PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES broadcaster HARRY KALAS died TODAY after collapsing in the press box at NATIONALS PARK in WASHINGTON. KALAS, the voice of the PHILLIES since 1971, was 73. A cause of death was not announced. KALAS called the final out of last year's World Series victory by the PHILLIES on CBS RADIO Talk WPHT-A/PHILADELPHIA, the team's flagship, and was inducted into Baseball's Hall of Fame as the FORD C. FRICK Award winner in 2002.

KALAS joined the PHILLIES after broadcasting HOUSTON ASTROS games in 1965-70; he was also the voice of NFL FILMS since 1975 and broadcast NFL games for WESTWOOD ONE for many years. He started calling minor league HAWAII ISLANDER games while in the ARMY. His distinctive voice and delivery put him among sportscasting's elite, and his longtime pairing with the late RICHIE "WHITEY" ASHBURN on PHILLIES broadccasts became a PHILADELPHIA institution. After ASHBURN's passing in 1997, KALAS was paired with CHRIS WHEELER, LARRY ANDERSEN, and GARY "SARGE" MATTHEWS on the PHILLIES broadcasts.

KALAS' son TODD is part of the TAMPA BAY RAYS broadcast team.

"We lost our voice today," PHILLIES President DAVID MONTGOMERY told reporters. "He has loved our game and made just a tremendous contribution to our sport and certainly to our organization."

The PHILLIES' game against the NATIONALS today is being played as scheduled, but the team's visit to the WHITE HOUSE, scheduled for TUESDAY, has been cancelled.
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
cgarison

Re: Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas Dies

Post by cgarison »

This town is devastated. Twitter and Facebook has been nuts with posts.

Godspeed Harry K. Philly misses you. Your team misses its voice.

:cry:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/ ... pital.html
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Are there recordings available o of John Facenda and his narration and poetry
when he was with NFL films? He was the voice of God in football.
All I can find is one poem on u-tube about the Raiders.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Mike

Post by Mike »

Most of us heard him as THE voice of NFL Films.
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached"
-Manuel II Palaiologos
Byzantine Emperor (1391-1425)
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

genlock wrote:Are there recordings available o of John Facenda and his narration and poetry
when he was with NFL films? He was the voice of God in football.
All I can find is one poem on u-tube about the Raiders.
I've got this one - it's pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Glory-Origi ... B00000DGUH
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
genlock

Post by genlock »

Excellent.
What a voice.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Dr. Loomis

Post by Dr. Loomis »

I was at the game. I had to do a double-take when they put it up on the video board, and I didn't really learn what happened before listening to the postgame show on the way home. It certainly caught a lot of people off guard at the ballpark, judging from the generally confused reactions of the people around me after it was announced.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Tomorrow will be the memorial at Citizens Bank Park. I imagine this town is going to be more nuts than during the Army-Navy game or for the "World Phucking Champions" parade. Kalas was loved and his work with NFL Films (across the river in Mt. Laurel, NJ) made him one of the great voices of American sports. Actually, he was number 41 on the list of best sportscasters in the nation.

I am grabbing my gal and heading out of town for the day. The AC Boardwalk should be nice.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'd imaging Phillies fans feel the same as we Reds fans did the day Joe Nuxhall died.
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached"
-Manuel II Palaiologos
Byzantine Emperor (1391-1425)