'Brian and Joe' off the air today at WMVX

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

'Brian and Joe' off the air today at WMVX

Post by Lester »

Rock

Re: 'Brian and Joe' off the air today at WMVX

Post by Rock »

Do yourself a favor; read the following comments section. Has the 'Morning Show' concept died a natural death? I'm not talking about 1 or 2 illiterate asshats, the overall undercurrent (does that even make sense?). :roll:
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Rock wrote:Do yourself a favor; read the following comments section. Has the 'Morning Show' concept died a natural death? I'm not talking about 1 or 2 illiterate asshats, the overall undercurrent (does that even make sense?). :roll:
If I understood what you were saying, I might agree with you. Somewhat. But with some qualifications and a nebulous time limit.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Rock

Post by Rock »

what?

:mrgreen:

Sorry, late-night posting has never been my forte. After reading through the 'comments' following the article, it struck me how many of the comments were derogatory toward a 'Morning Show'. Not necessarily the two jocks, but the concept as a whole.

A little more better? :wink:
- Claire Wolfe
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Damn, that's a tough question on so many levels.

I say yes and no.

In other words, every answer I come up with has three or four "Yeah, but what about..." things attached to it.

Damn you Rocko. This question isn't going to leave my brain alone for a week.
Rock

Post by Rock »

Hey, every now and then even I can come up with something to provoke a little thought. :lol:

Actually, it's been on my brain since I read through the thing, including the comments.
- Claire Wolfe
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

I think it all comes down to individual cases. If the show makes a connection with listeners via (the ultimate cliche coming) local, relatable, content, then the concept works. If not, it doesn't.
There are so many bad shows out there now that it makes the whole concept look bad. But look around. There aren't any stations that don't have high profile shows that win. I can't think of a single instance of a "more music" type morning show that wins anywhere. Even bad morning shows beat that idea.
You hear a lot about people who want a station to "just shut up and play music", but it never works in practice.
Good morning shows ( and I like think I"ve hosted one or two) create a bond with listeners that goes beyond music and the inevitable prize giveaways.
And personally, I've always thought even a mediocre local morning show will beat syndication any day if they hammer the local part. Howard Stern excepted.

The point is, I don't think the concept of the morning show is dead, it's just there are so many dead morning shows.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

But every market now sounds the same... if they aren't a piped in syndicated product (Bob and Tom, JB&B, Bob and Sherri, etc, etc, etc VOMIT) the local morning shows are attempting to clone the syndicated format.

And with all the freakin' talking they feel they need to do, the fact they're live and local gets buried in all the other crap around it.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

The answer is still "yes and no".

Morning shows in general do not have the massive cume they used to. Hell, afternoon drive has bigger cume in so many instances now it has become commonplace. There just aren't as many PURs in morning drive anymore. People turn on their TVs instead of the radio while at home, so you really only get them in the car.

However, it is still true in most cases your morning show drives the ratings bus for the station as a whole.

Two decades of syndicated morning shows in small and medium markets have left us with no new talent development or have put quality morning talent out of work or made them less mobile and less valued.

There are numerous examples of syndicated morning shows doing enormously well.

There are numerous examples of syndicated morning shows failing miserably.

There are numerous examples of syndicated mornings shows kicking ass in one market and sucking ass at the same time in another market with similar demographics.

There are numerous examples of local morning shows that kick ass no matter what you throw against them, get killed by a syndicated show, go up and down, and every other permutation of ratings and revenue circumstance.

There is no crystal clear example anyone can cite to answer the question without there being two dozen counter arguments.

"Most Music" morning shows never work for one simple reason. They are not what people want. Sure, they may want 90% of a quarter hour to be music, but they will leave music to get the info/service elements and entertaining/informative human being they want to fill up that other 10%.

Too many local morning shows do indeed try to copy the "mostly talk" or "syndicated" flavor and much of the air talent is simply not good at it even if they are good at any number of other styles.

A plugged-in, quality local morning show that recognizes the desires of local potential audience and delivers on those desires may end up in second, third or even fourth place behind syndicated shows or other quality local shows, but it will never get decimated in ratings and it will always be profitable.

The answer is yes.

The answer is no.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Well put. Did I really tell you you sucked when you worked at 102? I was wr....wr....uh, that word I hate to admit about myself.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

No, you had it right. I was 19 years old and didn't know anything. Also. I just plain old sucked. I would suck just as bad today if I tried to do a CHR or AC format again. There's a reason WRVC (now WDGG) fired me when they booted Steve Hayes. I sucked at AC, bad. I mean it was awful. Then I went to WVSR and sucked even more at CHR. Plus, the music on both stations made me want to blow my head off. Plus, it was overnights. You don't get the hotties calling you very much at 3AM, so I wasn't getting any of those CHR perks. Burke and Shahan did right by me. They tried to help and you actually did me a lot of good by reminding me how much I sucked. That experience taught me two things. I really sucked and had to remedy that quickly and I was a rock guy.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

You have done well Master Jay. The Force is strong in you.
StopSet

Post by StopSet »

Yeah, But It's Cleveland...People in Cleveland wouldn't know talent if it bit them on the arse.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Cleveland has been home to some of the greatest talents in the history of the biz and has for most of its history had a very discriminating audience.
To wit: The Kid Leo era of WMMS (why do you think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland?)
WGCL the Great 98, one of the country's top CHRs of the 80's (Tom Jeffries et al)
WIXY ( I know, they only brought the Beatles to town)
WGAR -AM in the 70's home of the incomparable Phil Gardner and the Real Bob James ( who I hated because he replaced Phil). James went on to found ACN, the American Comedy Network
Majic 105, one of the dominant Oldies stations in America, with morning host
John Lanigan, a Hall of Famer.

And many more that I'll think of as soon as I get off the computer.

Cleveland has been one of the great radio markets in America for decades.
Oh yeah, this guy named Imus.
Dude, the song says it all, "Cleveland Rocks".
StopSet

Post by StopSet »

Yes, but the public demanded MORE MUSIC. So like I said, it's Cleveland.They called and told all the talent to shut up and play Donnie Iris..
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

You've never actually been to Cleveland have you? Or listened to the radio there?