Must be in the water....

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Tom Taggart

Must be in the water....

Post by Tom Taggart »

Southeastern Ohio Broadcasting (WHIZ/Zanesville folks) bid $252,000 for the construction permit for a McConnelsville Class A in the current FCC FM auction.

Outbidding (so far) Muskingum Broadcasting (the Bohachs~WLOH Lancaster).

This is 103.7--can go a little north or a little south of McConnelsville and that's it.
sportsvoice

Re: Must be in the water....

Post by sportsvoice »

They must be betting on big bucks from selling 102.5 after moving it into Columbus. Of course they also had to pay Vern Baldwin off to the tune of about 1 million or so to dismiss a competing app.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Yea, I took another look at this. They could move 103.7 to near Philo, still meeting minimum spacings towards WCKY and WOGH, and put a city grade over a good chunk of Zanesville. Since they now own 92.7, what would make sense is then re-license 103.7 to South Zanesville, re-license 92.7 to Zanesville as an "A," then move the 92.7 onto the Channel 18 tower in Zanesville. (Remember 92.7 was originally assigned as a Class A to Zanesville, with the tower right on I-70 east of the city.)
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Tom Taggart wrote:Yea, I took another look at this. They could move 103.7 to near Philo, still meeting minimum spacings towards WCKY and WOGH, and put a city grade over a good chunk of Zanesville. Since they now own 92.7, what would make sense is then re-license 103.7 to South Zanesville, re-license 92.7 to Zanesville as an "A," then move the 92.7 onto the Channel 18 tower in Zanesville. (Remember 92.7 was originally assigned as a Class A to Zanesville, with the tower right on I-70 east of the city.)
I think that tower is still there...I think it has a (possibly lighted) cross on it. Was that station religious-formatted back then?
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

sportsvoice wrote:I think that tower is still there...I think it has a (possibly lighted) cross on it.
You're not thinking of WTOV in Steubenville, are you?

8O
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
sportsvoice wrote:I think that tower is still there...I think it has a (possibly lighted) cross on it.
You're not thinking of WTOV in Steubenville, are you?

8O
Could be. I remember some sort of tower along 70 near Zanesville though.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

That was the original WCVZ tower east of Zanesville, it was a Class A back then. When they upgraded to a B-1, they re-licensed the station to South Zanesville and moved the tower south into Perry County. Leaving the original tower (with the cross for a while) up along I-70.

Since Southeastern now owns WCVZ, they could move the antenna back into Zanesville by mounting it on the WHIZ-TV tower.
This would require a combination of a directional antenna and/or power reduction to keep Class B-1 status, or simply go back to Class A status.
Uncle Shishkabob

Post by Uncle Shishkabob »

Speaking of WTOV. When the new tower was erected a few years ago in Steubenville, the cross was not placed on it
...and in Washington 2 peopls and in Newark a windmill and an armadillo!