Andy Furman gets national Fox Sports Radio Show

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

EZ103.3FM

Andy Furman gets national Fox Sports Radio Show

Post by EZ103.3FM »

Andy Furman’s weekend try-out on Fox Sports Radio has turned into a weekly gig. Furman, heard 5-7 p.m. weekdays on “Real Talk” WQRT-AM (1160), will take over “Fox Sports Saturday” with Sean Farnham, a Los Angeles-based Fox Sports reporter, starting noon-4 p.m. Saturday.
Annie Zidarevich, Fox Sports Radio Network director, says Furman will be in the time slot until further notice. Furman and Farnham subbed for Dan Moriarty and Derrick Deese on July 3. Furman, 60, filled in for Fox Sports Radio’s morning host Steven A. Smith on May 26.

Entire article at cincinnati.com
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
Scott Reppert

Re: Andy Furman gets national Fox Sports Radio Show

Post by Scott Reppert »

Annie Zidarevich, Fox Sports Radio Network director...
Always wondered who was behind the making of the mess that is now Fox Sports Radio.

I thought it had to be Gomez Addams because he was the only person I knew of that was capable of purposely engineering train wrecks.
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
DJSHOCKLEY

Post by DJSHOCKLEY »

Yeah, Change for the sake of change seems to be the Fox Sports Radio Motto...
Who killed the radio star??
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

At one time I think Annie Zidarevich was heard in the Tri-State. In an earlier attempt at sports radio programming, I think some or all of Clear Channel's 1230/1420/1600 AM's in the Huntington market carried a network called 'Prime Sports'. One of the shows was hosted by 2 women: Chris O'Donnell and 'Annie Z', who was also the program director for Prime Sports. She had a voice that sounded like she always needed to clear her throat....

Others on the network included Scott Franski (now one of the Philadelphia Phillies' play-by-play voices), a Dallas-based writer who I think was named Jim Dent and a pair of fairly funny guys named Mark & Kyle. This goes back to the 1980's I think...maybe the 90's.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
Rock

Post by Rock »

I'm with ya, Scott....Fox Sports has some really bad trainwrecks...the only consistency is bad. 8)
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
Mike

Post by Mike »

Worst mistake Fox Sports Radio made was dumping Steve Czaban for Steven A Smith. Andy Furman definitely deserves a shot at a national show, he got a raw deal at WLW years ago, got fired for calling a Bengals player "a punk" if I recall, one of their diva wide receivers (Not Chad "what the hell is my name this week" Johnson). Turned out he was right, they dumped him a year later.

Czaban, btw, is the morning guy on Sporting News Radio, which is available on Sirius (when I get my receiver replaced).
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached"
-Manuel II Palaiologos
Byzantine Emperor (1391-1425)
Mike

Post by Mike »

EZ103.3FM wrote:
At one time I think Annie Zidarevich was heard in the Tri-State. In an earlier attempt at sports radio programming, I think some or all of Clear Channel's 1230/1420/1600 AM's in the Huntington market carried a network called 'Prime Sports'. One of the shows was hosted by 2 women: Chris O'Donnell and 'Annie Z', who was also the program director for Prime Sports. She had a voice that sounded like she always needed to clear her throat....
I remember that... They tried an all female morning show... On a sports talk network.... Which is 90% male listenership...

That went over about as well as you'd expect.

FYI, it was 1230/1470/1600, WTCR 1420 still played traditional country then. Crapstar owned 1470 back then, pre ConCord shell game days.
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached"
-Manuel II Palaiologos
DJSHOCKLEY

Post by DJSHOCKLEY »

Mike wrote:Worst mistake Fox Sports Radio made was dumping Steve Czaban for Steven A Smith. Andy Furman definitely deserves a shot at a national show, he got a raw deal at WLW years ago, got fired for calling a Bengals player "a punk" if I recall, one of their diva wide receivers (Not Chad "what the hell is my name this week" Johnson). Turned out he was right, they dumped him a year later.

Czaban, btw, is the morning guy on Sporting News Radio, which is available on Sirius (when I get my receiver replaced).
Czaban does that too??

I listen to him on ESPN 980 AM here in the Balt/DC area 4-7pm M-F... Its the Redskins Flagship.. Natural fit because he grew up here..

His.. Shall I say: "Spirited" opinions of the current state of the Skins has me rolling everyday!!

http://www.espn980.com/shows/sportsreporters/
Mike

Post by Mike »

DJSHOCKLEY wrote:
Mike wrote:Worst mistake Fox Sports Radio made was dumping Steve Czaban for Steven A Smith. Andy Furman definitely deserves a shot at a national show, he got a raw deal at WLW years ago, got fired for calling a Bengals player "a punk" if I recall, one of their diva wide receivers (Not Chad "what the hell is my name this week" Johnson). Turned out he was right, they dumped him a year later.

Czaban does that too??

I listen to him on ESPN 980 AM here in the Balt/DC area 4-7pm M-F... Its the Redskins Flagship.. Natural fit because he grew up here..

His.. Shall I say: "Spirited" opinions of the current state of the Skins has me rolling everyday!!

Yeah, Czaban is good, probably the best sports talk guy out there right now, since "Papa" Joe Chevalier seems to be gone from syndicated radio...

Joe Chevalier, btw, is from Huntington.
-Manuel II Palaiologos
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

I enjoy listening to 980 when I'm in the DC area. The Sports Reporters show with Czaban and Andy Pollan is usually good listening as I'm leaving Ft. Belvoir and heading for Springfield VA where we normally stay.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

980 always was great with Redskins coverage, even back when WJFK was the flagship. When the skins were bad (which was normal), the hosts would rag on them all day.

Danny should have bought 104.1 when he had the chance.
DJSHOCKLEY

Post by DJSHOCKLEY »

Mike wrote:
DJSHOCKLEY wrote:

Czaban does that too??

Yeah, Czaban is good, probably the best sports talk guy out there right now, since "Papa" Joe Chevalier seems to be gone from syndicated radio...

Joe Chevalier, btw, is from Huntington.

Agreed...