How About a WHO'S next RIP topic

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

just saying

How About a WHO'S next RIP topic

Post by just saying »

Za Za Gabor or Harmon Killebrew?
Scott Reppert

Re: How About a WHO'S next RIP topic

Post by Scott Reppert »

Dick Clark from the back of the pack...
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
amayo

Post by amayo »

looks like Etta James is rolling to the inside at the top of the stretch. Kirk Douglas is getting there too.
just saying

Post by just saying »

good start
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

I bet nobody had their money on a 28 year old hockey player...

Derek Boogaard of the New York Rangers passes away at 28

By Sean Leahy

Terribly tragic news in the hockey world tonight as New York Rangers forward Derek Boogaard(notes) has passed away at the age of 28.

Boogaard was found dead inside his apartment in Minneapolis by family members. No cause of death is known at the moment, but an autopsy will be performed.

From the Rangers:
"Derek was an extremely kind and caring individual," said New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather. "He was a very thoughtful person, who will be dearly missed by all those who knew him. We extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and teammates during this difficult time."

Late Friday, the NHLPA released a statement on Boogaard's passing:

"The NHLPA is deeply saddened by the sudden passing of Derek Boogaard. Derek was a well-liked and respected member of the NHLPA, and his passing is a great loss to the entire hockey community. Our sincere condolences to Derek's many friends and family during this difficult time."

Boogaard played 277 NHL games between the Minnesota Wild and Rangers. He last played on Dec. 9 and missed the rest of his first season in New York with a concussion he suffered after a fight with Ottawa's Matt Carkner. Known as "The Boogey Man" for being one of the league's toughest fighters, Boogaard dropped the gloves 61 times during his six-year NHL career.

The highlight of Boogaard's first year with the Rangers was a goal against the Washington Capitals on Nov. 30 to snap a 234-game goal drought.
Scott Reppert
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Oprah

Stephen Tyler

Dick Van Dyke
weaver

Post by weaver »

BreakingNews Breaking News
Minnesota Twins say slugger Harmon Killebrew has died of cancer in Scottsdale, Ariz. - AP
7 minutes ago
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

'Taxi' star Jeff Conaway hospitalized in a coma
May 18, 9:27 PM (ET)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jeff Conaway's manager says the former star of "Taxi" and "Grease" is in a coma following a drug overdose, possibly from pain pills. Manager Phil Brock says the 60-year-old actor was found unconscious on May 11. He is hospitalized in critical condition.

Brock says Conaway is in a coma in an Encino, Calif., hospital and his recovery is uncertain. The name of the hospital was not disclosed.

As part of the reality show "Celebrity Rehab" in 2008, Conaway discussed his addiction to drugs and alcohol.

His manager described Conaway as a "gentle soul" but one who has been unable to "exorcise his demons."

Conaway appeared in the 1978 movie musical "Grease" and starred in the TV series "Babylon 5."
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

I like it. A thread about those at "death's door"...kinda like a preliminary to the "Rest In Peace And Remembrance" thread.

As long as we don't end up with a "Famous Hangnails And Paper Cuts" thread...
Scott Reppert
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Well, if the May 21st rapture guy is right, I'd say....ALL OF US!
weaver

Post by weaver »

Bob Campbell wrote:Well, if the May 21st rapture guy is right, I'd say....ALL OF US!
Then I'm not going to bother cutting the grass.
amayo

Post by amayo »

According to MSNBC both Zsa Zsa and Conaway may be circling the drain.
weaver

Post by weaver »

Jeff Conaway will be taken off life support machines after doctors told the 'Grease' actor's family that he has had no brain activity since being admitted to a hospital May 11. "The feeding tube has already been removed. The ventilator which is breathing for Jeff, will be removed sometime this afternoon," a source close to the situation told RadarOnline.com.

The source said no measures will be made to revive the actor, saying, "Jeff is in no pain whatsoever." ...
http://www.popeater.com/2011/05/26/jeff ... e-support/
amayo

Post by amayo »

I can't believe no one thought of this sooner, but I gotta nominate Amy Winehouse for this list. She's apparently back in rehab and things aren't looking good.
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

"Hugh Hefner's wedding has been called off. I guess
he didn't want to be tied down with one woman for
the rest of his weeks." - Jimmy Kimmel
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

Anybody have Jerry Lewis in this pool???
Scott Reppert
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Former Lions star Alex Karras in grave condition
By Brian McIntyre | Shutdown Corner – 14 hours ago

Former All-Pro Detroit Lions defensive tackle Alex Karras has been given just days to live after the 77-year-old recently experienced kidney failure. Current members of the Lions organization have expressed their sympathies to the Karras family.

After appearing as himself in 1968's "Paper Lion," Karras pursued an acting career when his NFL career came to an end. Karras appeared in films such as "Blazing Saddles," "Victor Victoria" and "Porky's," while also co-starring in "Webster," playing the role of George Papadapolis alongside his real-life wife, actress Susan Clark, and star Emmanuel Lewis from 1983-89.

Karras' health has declined in recent years, which Clark attributed to her husband's football career. Karras is among the thousands of former players who have filed lawsuits against the National Football League.
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

David Paleg wrote:Former Lions star Alex Karras in grave condition
By Brian McIntyre | Shutdown Corner – 14 hours ago

Former All-Pro Detroit Lions defensive tackle Alex Karras has been given just days to live after the 77-year-old recently experienced kidney failure. Current members of the Lions organization have expressed their sympathies to the Karras family.

After appearing as himself in 1968's "Paper Lion," Karras pursued an acting career when his NFL career came to an end. Karras appeared in films such as "Blazing Saddles," "Victor Victoria" and "Porky's," while also co-starring in "Webster," playing the role of George Papadapolis alongside his real-life wife, actress Susan Clark, and star Emmanuel Lewis from 1983-89.

Karras' health has declined in recent years, which Clark attributed to her husband's football career. Karras is among the thousands of former players who have filed lawsuits against the National Football League.
Since this is a broadcasting board, we need to remember Karras was in the movie 'FM'. He played a DJ who was fired from the mythical QSKY-FM radio in LA.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
just saying

Post by just saying »

Muhammad Ali's family and a family spokesman on Sunday denied a British news report that Ali was near death, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported.
The family posted on Twitter a photo of Ali in a Ravens jersey getting ready to watch the Superbowl. He and his wife, Lonnie, were at home in Phoenix on Sunday watching the game, family spokesman Bob Gunnell told the Courier-Journal.

i guess we will see.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2013/02/m ... party.html
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Ray Price Leaves Hospital to Spend Final Days at Home
By Billy Dukes December 12, 2013 2:22 PM

Ray Price has entered hospice care in his home in Mt. Pleasant, Texas. After being hospitalized earlier this month, the Country Music Hall of Famer and his wife decided to end aggressive treatment for the cancer he’s battled for over two years.

KLTV in Tyler, Texas reports that Price plans to leave the East Texas Medical Center on Thursday (Dec. 12). Janie Price, Ray’s wife of 45 years, says her husband is alert and making decisions:

“With God’s blessing he has not had extreme pain. But it’s with great sadness that I announce to you today that my beloved husband has entered the final stages of his cancer that he has battled for 25 months. Anyone who knows Ray is aware that he has strong convictions and great faith in God. It’s his decision to leave the hospital and return home to spend his final days on his beloved ranch surrounded by the comfort of his home, family and friends.”

Price also sent a final message to fans. “I love my fans and have devoted my life to reaching out to them,” he says, according to the television station. “I appreciate their support all these years and I hope I haven’t let them down. I am at peace. I love Jesus. I’m going to be just fine. Don’t worry about me. I’ll see you again one day.”

Fans are still encouraged to offer words of support and prayers on Price’s official Facebook page. The news, while sad, is not surprising. After declaring his cancer was in remission in February, Price has been in and out of the hospital for much of the year. News that the cancer had returned surfaced earlier this month. Janie’s statement reveals that Price learned of the cancer a full year before he shared the news with fans. He said in November 2012 that he’d been undergoing chemotherapy for six months.

“I’m not looking for sympathy,” Price said at the time. “That’s just the way it is.”

‘Release Me,’ ‘City Lights’ and the 1970 ACM and Grammy Award-winning hit ‘For the Good Times’ are a few of the 87-year-old’s biggest hits. Artists like Willie Nelson, Roger Miller and Johnny Paycheck were a part of Price’s early bands.

Read More: Ray Price Leaves Hospital to Spend Final Days at Home | http://tasteofcountry.com/ray-price-fin ... ck=tsmclip