TIVO bandwidth

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Dave Harman

TIVO bandwidth

Post by Dave Harman »

I'm getting one of Suddenlink's TIVOs... just going with the 2 recording streams now, but can upgrade to the box with 4 streams for free when they arrive. Right now, I have a 10 mbps download cap, and am trying to decide whether to upgrade to 15 or 20mbps. Does anyone know how much bandwidth per stream this TIVO needs? I need enough to cover the worst (or best) case scenario of running all 4 recorders at once, without killing my ability to let at least 2 computers surf. Speed is money, and the 20mbps is a little steep.
TimeEnuf

Re: TIVO bandwidth

Post by TimeEnuf »

Not really sure about the bandwidth of the streams, but I know from my personal experience, that recording two streams and watching netflicks through the BlueRay, seems to have little affect on internet surfing for a house full of laptops, tablets and wifi-radios. Pretty sure that our SuddenLink is also a 10mbs download.
Dave Harman

Re: TIVO bandwidth

Post by Dave Harman »

They have the 4-tuner tivo premiere now, so I got it and upgraded to 15mbps download speed, but I think you're right - it would have been ok with 10mbps. BUT - the 15mbps download gets you an upload speed of 1.5mbps, double what I had before. If you do any VPN work, it's an awesome improvement.