WTVN Bob Conners to retire!

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

djMatty

WTVN Bob Conners to retire!

Post by djMatty »

"A familiar voice for Columbus radio listeners is retiring after nearly half a century.

WTVN-AM says Bob Conners announced on his show Monday morning that he's stepping down effective Dec. 1.

He joined the station in 1964 and has hosted the morning show since 1978."

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/oct/24/ ... ar-800210/
Matt
Program Director/Music Director/Owner
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
http://www.xmusiconline.com/
Hoosier Daddy

Re: WTVN Bob Conners to retire!

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

The end of an era. Conners was an icon and a legend.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
the jive talkin one

Post by the jive talkin one »

you gotta wonder...was this his idea...or part of the CC RIF?
- the life and health insurance broker formerly known as Joel Jackson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Your-Life ... nfo&ref=mf
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

the jive talkin one wrote:you gotta wonder...was this his idea...or part of the CC RIF?

My guess is he sees the 'writing' on the wall and wants to gracefully leave before CC pushes him out for budgetary reasons...

If I was his age, I rather retire on my own will than be shoved out the door... I grew up listening to Bob back in WTVN's full service days.
Matt
Program Director/Music Director/Owner
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
http://www.xmusiconline.com/
ralphallen

Post by ralphallen »

Bob Conners, is the prototype of the big voiced "Storz Stations" "voice of God jocks". People like Bob and former Capitol Broadcasting's Mike Wingfield, of WCAW fame in Charleston, amazed me. Wingfield was on me after I left WCAW for WXIT.

I dialed him up on my monitor and thought, "Paul Miles must REALLY be angry with me...LOL" Mike was opposite me in the afternoons, and the scariest jocko I ever faced...scared me witless...day after day...so to hear and be around talents like these guys...is a humbling experience.

Mike Wingfield later worked at KCBQ, WAPE and some other monster stations. We have been friends for years. He recently sold his ad agency in Cleveland and is enjoying being retired.

Now back to Connors...unbelievable how much he loved being on the air and it showed. I think he worked six days a week on the air, and his voice, a deep rich, incredible compelling set of pipes...coupled up with an incredible polish and timing, just made him the match of anybody anywhere at anytime. Nobody better, some may have been his equal, I can name them on one hand.

Bob Connors defined the era. There are other great jocks in Columbus to be sure, it's a heavyweight playground, but yes, Connors was amazing on the air. We all who have listened to his extreme talent, and been blessed, wish him well in his retirement.
the jive talkin one

Post by the jive talkin one »

It's kinda spooky still hearing George Walker's voice overs airing on TV.
- the life and health insurance broker formerly known as Joel Jackson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Your-Life ... nfo&ref=mf
ralphallen

Post by ralphallen »

Yes, it is sort of jarring to hear one of George's voice overs. He really had a distinctive "uptown" sort of voice. He had worked at the big rock station, WSAI in Cincy, came to V-100 when Jim Davis was GM/VP there and then he was with Bristol broadcasting's WQBE? It was a sad day when we learned of his passing. I admired his "polish" he always sounded great didn't he? He really had the talent that we all admire. Rest in peace old friend. We sure do miss some of these old pros. I liked hearing him on the PBS station. George was a very special talent. It is difficult to think about him having passed on.
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

Wow - I graduated from Denison (about 30 miles east of Columbus) in 1978, and during my time in that area it seemed like he'd been there a long time then.

I was just up at Denison in June for my 35 year reunion. I didn't hear Connors while there that weekend but I wouldn't have thought he was still on the air.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra