Ms. Judy's Bloodletting Continues

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Know It All

Ms. Judy's Bloodletting Continues

Post by Know It All »

I Hurt Radio strikes again, and two more Tri-State families are feeling the pain.

On Friday Melanie Asbury and the Huntington renowned "Zippy" took the fall as deeper cuts are made at CC. After all these job eliminations, they are REALLY good at it! Meanwhile, Judy just keeps on truckin'!

In other news, CC has discovered a new source of revenue as they can lease out that recently expanded parking lot. God knows they don't need more parking but the nearby methadone clinic does. Less staff and parking revenue - win!
I Know It All - So You Will Too
Hoss

Re: Ms. Judy's Bloodletting Continues

Post by Hoss »

It's sad that over the years Broadcasting has lost that loyalty to the employees that was reciprocated to the owners (most of which were local). Truly this was a gratifying relationship that in my experience resulted in benefits to each as well as the communities served. As group owners came into the picture (early 1980's) consideration moved to sale ability, audience building and promotion in everything the station did, which was of course aimed at building or enhancing the bottom line. Don't get me wrong we certainly considered profit and we made great profit in the 60's and 70's but we considered community involvement and service. Once the single station and small groups started selling to groups things started to change. I don't discount that the single owners and small groups sold out for large profits, sometimes higher than 10X cash flow. That started the demise of the fun business of making money and being involved with worthwhile community activities. That was a worthwhile and gratifying occupation. What changed was that in the 1990's when we did a drive for the hungry or flood relief it was always based on the viewer giving, in the 60's and 70's the first donation would always be kicked off by the station. Also PSA's were truly local to benefit good and positive community causes. Now we don't even see PSA's unless they are paid for or have a promotional link for the station. Well that's just my rant. I certainly feel badly for the folks that invested their lives in a station only to be used and abused in their waning career days as another cost of business that corporate management needs squeeze more output at a lower price. If your lucky enough to not be at one of these stations count your blessings and I'll be jealous, in a positive way.
I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. Thomas Jefferson, January 30, 1787.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I couldn't imagine walking the halls at 134 these days. It would surely be depressing. I worked there when that building was at over capacity with overflow commuting to radio mountain. Every office, cubicle, closet, and corner had a desk with someone busy. We cared. The entire staff would pull together for major events like Freedomfest, Xfest, etc. On Black Fridays, the entire staff would be either on the phone selling those damn Christmas greetings or coaching the sellers. Christmas parties were well attended and, aside from a few egos (The Xs first PD was a dick, IMO) (no, not Scott, the first official PD), everyone got along great.

Radio is still in my blood and it always will be. But I mean real radio. Not the shit that passes as radio these days.

I miss those Capstar days but I am glad I made it out when I did and on my own terms, not through the bloodletting that took place shortly after.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Just watched the Noon News on WSAZ, something I haven't done in quite a while. What's happened there? There were 3 different long commercial segments with News people as interviewers to a pitchman selling something. One was a security system. Talk about credibility going down the toilet. This is an advertisement that your News Department is for sale. Progress no doubt as defined by the bean counters.
I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. Thomas Jefferson, January 30, 1787.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

With all due respect I can completely understand why businesses gobble up the news people once they have retired or gotten out of the business. People tend to think they know what they are talking about and are some kind of experts on the subject. Less than a week after I got out of radio I started doing TV spots for an ATV/Motorcycle shop. Granted I wasn't a newsperson but businesses like having someone who is well known to represent their products. My brother-in-law works at Advantage Toyota in Barboursville and he says every day someone comes in and asks for Bob Smith, longtime Tri-State newsman who does their TV spots.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
genlock

Post by genlock »

Other reasons news people are sought after for post news jobs:

Do it in one take.
Does not stutter.
Can lie without laughing.
Sounds sincere when not.
Has a suit or tie.
Does not drool (ex-tv only)
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."