WAMX now classic rock 106.3 the Brew

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Ace Purple

WAMX now classic rock 106.3 the Brew

Post by Ace Purple »

I'm not sure when the flip happened, perhaps overnight, but 106.3 WAMX flipped from rock as X106.3 to classic rock as 106.3 the Brew. Quinn is doing morning drive today, so that has remained the same (and I'm glad -- he does a good job). The station has clearly staked its claim going for the classic rock market, billing itself as Huntington's only classic rock station.

1063thebrew.com
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Ace Purple

Re: WAMX now classic rock 106.3 the Brew

Post by Ace Purple »

Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

*yawn*

Wake me up when the building is on fire.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

http://www.thebrew1057.com/main.html

Look familiar?

Imaging swiped from Columbus (and probably other markets) :?

The Columbus version has an Active Rock 70s and 80s headbanger music playlist.

Sammy Hagar, Foreigner, John Parr, many of the hair bands, et al.

Not a bad sounding station. Hopefully 106.3 will be close to the same thing.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Airwaves

Post by Airwaves »

Wow.... Alternative rock and all that it has morphed into now melts into this.... Interesting!
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

What they are calling classic rock should be called oldies, IMO. To me, classic rock would be 85 to 95... without the over-the-top hair bands (who deserve their own station, too). When does Classic become Old?
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Big Media wrote:What they are calling classic rock should be called oldies, IMO. To me, classic rock would be 85 to 95... without the over-the-top hair bands (who deserve their own station, too). When does Classic become Old?
I always thought it was anything over 25 years old, which would be ... 1988. 8O
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

There has never been, nor should there have been, a clear definition of "classic rock" and certainly never one based on year.

Is Smashing Pumpkins' "Zero" a classic rock song. Yes. If you want it to be. No, if you don't.

Has The Who's "My Generation" transformed from classic rock to oldies? No, if you don't want it to be. Yes, if you do.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Jay Nunley wrote:There has never been, nor should there have been, a clear definition of "classic rock" and certainly never one based on year.
Agreed.

Also, as reported in the trades last week, 106.3 the Brew is now carrying Rover's Morning Glory 6-10a ET, which originates from WMMS/Cleveland.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I've been tuning in occasionally, trying to get a feel for it. Fortunately, they are playing some stuff from the late 80's and early 90's. I have heard the Black Crows, some of Aerosmith's 90's stuff, and some prerequisite Metallica from the black album. Unfortunately, it was mixed in with a bunch of shit from the 70's. I am a dumb-ass, granted, but I don't see these two generations' tastes crossing over enough to sustain this format. It should be one or the other.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Big Media wrote:I've been tuning in occasionally, trying to get a feel for it. Fortunately, they are playing some stuff from the late 80's and early 90's. I have heard the Black Crows, some of Aerosmith's 90's stuff, and some prerequisite Metallica from the black album. Unfortunately, it was mixed in with a bunch of shit from the 70's. I am a dumb-ass, granted, but I don't see these two generations' tastes crossing over enough to sustain this format. It should be one or the other.

Every single person who has ever had any connection to radio in any fashion is a dumbass, so don't worry about that. We're all equals in that regard, especially on this message board.

We end up in this discussion about once a year. I won't write my usual novel length dissertation on the matter this time.

I have seen three tons of market research data and about 25 years (or 18 tons) of anecdotal data that says the following...

If you take the available rock audience in almost any market somewhere around 10% of it will reject a station based on it playing old titles or new titles. That 10% is split almost in half as to whether they don't like a station because it plays newer rock or because it plays older rock.

The remaining 90% of the available rock audience likes Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, Metallica, Staind, Jimi Hendrix, Guns N Roses, Soundgarden, and Linkin Park. They barely even notice the year or era of the titles they like. This is why, in most markets, the mainstream rock stations are the most successful in 12+ numbers. Naturally, the demographics of the market will dictate a specific recipe or flavor. Also naturally, classic based stations do better in older markets and active based stations do better in younger markets. There is also the matter of cluster programming. In many instances one cluster will have more than one flavor of rock station and not stepping on each other becomes part of the programming plan in terms of what demos you are targeting.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I am the 10 percent. :mrgreen:
djsandman

Post by djsandman »

Big Media wrote:I am the 10 percent. :mrgreen:
Same here and I miss Z-Rock in the valley!

Hello @ LM and WV Radio Corp. - way too much Classic Rock - smh.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Hey guys, I'm going to be moving from Columbus to Nashville in May -- but I almost ended up with a radio gig in Cleveland that would have put me on a morning show airing in Huntington. I made the final two in the competition for the open producer slot on Rover's Morning Glory before losing out in the finals to an internal iHeartMedia candidate.

Here's my story on how it all played out:

http://www.loupickney.com/comm/2015/2-5-2015.shtml
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

And now I've learned that WAMX has dropped RMG. It's too bad -- he has a great show.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Ace Purple wrote: before losing out in the finals to an internal iHeartMedia candidate.
I had a chance to chat with a friend last evening who is a former iHeartRadio/ClearChannel employee and quite honestly, you just might have been the luckier of the two people competing for that job. 10 years ago, I might not have thought that way but having the opportunity to work for a couple of good firms and having some really nice leadership at those companies has really changed much of my perspective of what a job should be.

In the case of my friend, he now has a boss that "gives a damn" about the well being of his employees. That means a lot and some companies just do not have that as a part of their culture.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

John Boy and Billy returns! Giant ad in today's Huntington HD about John Boy and Billy's return to the Tri-State. Perfect, just what we needed, ANOTHER good "local" show.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Dave Allen wrote:John Boy and Billy returns! Giant ad in today's Huntington HD about John Boy and Billy's return to the Tri-State. Perfect, just what we needed, ANOTHER good "local" show.
So now that's TWO shows WRVC needs in short order. I can only assume they'll plug in the MetroNews morning show in the meantime?
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

I would have been really bummed to have landed the Rover gig only for it to lose its Huntington clearance soon thereafter. The woman they hired for the spot seems to be doing a good job, and I'm excited to be heading back to Nashville. So perhaps it worked out for the best for all involved.

It surprises me that WAMX brought back John Boy and Billy, but management there has ratings information that I'm not privy to and I can only assume they did what they thought was best for business. It's just rather rare for a station that dropped a syndicated show to then later bring that show back.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I blame the idiot camo wearin' redneck fuck-nuts that listen to that white trash radio show and think that retarded "TAKE C" game is the absolute pinnacle of comedy.