WETT gone

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Tom Taggart

WETT gone

Post by Tom Taggart »

Donated to VCY America; religious broadcaster out of Milwaukee with some 2 dozen stations. Since the WETT studios are in the WDTV studios, this will likely be a satellite-delivered relay for the network. Form already filed to take station non-commercial.
JKF18

Re: WETT gone

Post by JKF18 »

The writing was on the wall.

But seriously, how many religious stations are needed in the area? How many K-Loves? How many Air-1's? Locally produced?

In that case - why the need for so many simulcasts of WAJR?

Enough is enough already. Would like to have seen someone actually put an effort into the a/c format.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Take some very deep pockets. To start with--WETT would need new studios built. Then try to find salespeople--or salesman--to try to go up against the WV Radio machine.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Donated? Given away?
A decently located FM?
I can see dumping an AM.
Surely someone would have paid something for it.
Wonder why?
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

Who has the money in the area? WVRC even with smoke and mirrors couldn't pull off another FM purchase with themselves or AJG. Well, probably but that is beside the point.

Place bets that one of the WVRC or Burbach properties flip to a/c. Burbach would actually be smart to run a 95XIL-ish format on all frequencies where Froggy is now. There is a female audience out there that doesn't want to listen to their parents music or country.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Consider that Dana Withers just received a pile of money selling WDTV. The tax deduction from the allocated value of the donation probably worth much more than the potential cash from an outright sale.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

JKF18 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:05 pm There is a female audience out there that doesn't want to listen to their parents music or country.
And that female audience is not already listening to their generation's 'hit' music via Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Prime Unlimited, Play Music or Apple iTunes? It was a 23 year old millennial that introduced me to Pandora 10 years ago and this demographic is now in the sweet spot of radio demographics and yet they get their traffic alerts from Waze, their news from some service that feeds from blogs and Twitter, and their music comes from an app on their mobile device. And I would much rather get my weather from an app than listen to the scare tactic weather that is put out by stations all over the nation that proclaims that we are all going to die by the time the event is over. (And I am pointing that finger at the a$$holes at WSAZ and WOWK for scaring the hell out of my mother and making her cower in the corner like the Soviets are about to strike with WW3 in 1955.) Plus the kids coming out of college now watch their music on YouTube. The shift from OTA broadcasts is taking place and the Gen X'ers are the last generation to truly understand this medium.

In short, donating the stick and equipment might have been the best option when you consider the trend in radio today. Even I listen to iTunes and Google Play when I work and exercise and 15 years ago it would have been a radio station. I have heard some people in media joke that we will be purchasing AM sticks for as little as a thousand bucks in the next five years, but I think that joke is not that far from the truth.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
samthebutcher

Post by samthebutcher »

froggy's not going to change format and wv radio wont bring back ac. ac failed on magic.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

If you're not going to be live and local, you might as well donate the stick. The group that I'm lucky enough to part-time for, SEVEN RANGES RADIO, gets it, along with their extraordinary Operations Manager, Scott Northcraft. Yes, I'm biased, as they keep my high-school radio station, WRSG, alive and healthy. If every station and group approached radio the way they do, there would be no fears of relevancy.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

My major beef as usual is the monopoly of WVRC and AJG in the market. Not only are they limiting the amount of formats but the limit of the formats they currently run (except for country).

Now, with one less commercial operation - it's one less signal in the market NOT owned by AJG or WVRC. How is this legal?