WPDX Sold

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

JKF18

WPDX Sold

Post by JKF18 »

.... to AJG, "sister" to West Virginia Radio Corporation. This will give either company, or both if you recognize it as such, complete and total monopoly of every decent signal from Elkins To Morgantown. Now granted there is LHTC and Burbach with much smaller signals. But can you really even count them anymore? Those stations are on autopilot nearly all of the time. Burbach: Froggy is irrelevant up against KKW. Don't get me started on Hot 105.7. ESPN Clarksburg on 1340 is unknown to nearly everyone. For LHTC: Jack is about the only station out of the LHTC bundle that anybody listens to. For WPDX: I guess maybe the area might get an adult contemporary station once again? No need for both True Country on 93.1 and classic country to remain on 104.9. I hope they spend some money on the signal of either the AM or FM. Both have been neglected for years.
Tom Taggart

Re: WPDX Sold

Post by Tom Taggart »

The FM is where it is in order to be a B-1 station (equivalnet of 25 kw @ 328 feet). Could be moved back into Clarksburg (104.9 was originally on the 750 tower)--but then it would have to be downgraded to a Class A (6 kw @ 328' or equivalent) in order to protect 104.7 in Spencer, and 104.9 at Caldwell, Ohio.
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

If you look at the FCC filing ... it shows how WPDX AM & FM overlap with other AJG properties. Fine. But what it doesn't show is all of the other West Virginia Radio Corporation stations as well. The study would have to show they are concerned with having a monopoly in the local market. But to completely omit WVAQ, WKKW, etc. is a pretty large oversight.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Slowly all the stations I once dreamed of owning someday are slipping away...

Then again, so did that dream.

Sidebar: My step-Grandfather was one of the original owners/operators of WPDX.
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

Finally seeing an update of some sort on the WCLG website. (Which had not been updated - still shows the Morgan 92.1 logo) It looks like WPDX will become a clone of WKWS in Charleston as "Superstar Country". Nothing like ruining one set of legendary calls in the area with WFGM. Now another set is gone too. It is unknown what will happen with WPDX 750 and the FM translator.
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

And as expected WPDX is now a somewhat "simulcast" of the "not owned by us... who us? We're AJG not WVRC" of the WVRC property in Charleston WV 96.1 Superstar Country. Most jocks stop short of calling out the individual frequency and just announce it as "Superstar Country".

A shame. I'd rather listen to the WW1 classic country network they have used for years. The Charleston based format is heavily repetitive in a rotation of about 5-6 artists over and over again from the 90s.

Still no word on plans of the AM and the to be built (?) W238DF.

The area still has no adult contemporary formatted station since Magic switched to Sky. And 104.1 went to non-comm God Squad.