Nothing new here right?

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

CoolBreeze

Nothing new here right?

Post by CoolBreeze »

iHeartMedia laid off hundreds of radio DJs. Executives blame AI. DJs blame the executives.
The radio conglomerate said its mass ‘employee dislocation’ was necessary as it pivoted to AI. But others say it’s the company’s human leaders who deserve the blame.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... gence-djs/

In 2018, some stations on the online iHeartRadio service began testing a music-mixing AI system built by the start-up Super Hi-Fi, which says it can “understand music nuances with the same depth as a human DJ.” The system can transition in real time between songs by layering in music, sound effects, voice-over snippets and ads, delivering the style of smooth, seamless playback that has long been the human DJ’s trade.

The Los Angeles-based Super Hi-Fi, whose clients also include the streaming fitness service Peloton, says its “computational music presentation” AI can help erase the seconds-long gaps between songs that can lead to “a loss of energy, lack of continuity and disquieting sterility.”
"I know I've got a lot against me: I'm White, I'm Protestant, I'm hard working. Don't you have an Amendment to protect me"? Archie Bunker
Rock

Re: Nothing new here right?

Post by Rock »

Just a damn shame. Radio Ink had just named Pittman 'Exec of the year'...then the layoffs.

I just looooove how Managers across the country keep paying lip service to 'Live & Local', then slash jobs. In our case, a travesty...3 Fms, 2 AMs, and a translator. 2 full time employees, 1 part time Morning 'Talent' (me), and a sales weasel. To operate 5 stations. We're kicking ass!!

:roll:
Last edited by Rock on Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
genlock

Post by genlock »

I assume Mark is the clueless sales weasel.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Rock

Post by Rock »

No Mark here, buddy.
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
genlock

Post by genlock »

I was thinking of clear channel in Huntington.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."