Here we go...

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

All those apps for AM 1450 that genlock mentioned were just dismissed, along with about 160 others filed during the window for AM major changes (Auction 84). These were mutually exclusive apps that did not file a Required Settlement Agreement, Engineering Solution, or Section 307(B) Showing by October 31, 2005 . The Media Bureau also seems to be pruning the odd TV and FM translator apps that have been lusrking around for years, such as channel 22 in Elkins, channel 31 in Clarksburg, and 94.3 in Parkersburg. K-rock, the WSLW proposal was filed during this window, which allowed such moves.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

radiofan wrote:I was told southern communications has put a translator in oak hill (on top of the water tower) at 102.9 fm for their classic rock wmtd-fm 102.3 in Hinton. I live within walking distance of the tower and get only a faint signal on 102.9 of wmtd's audio and sometimes the 103 wcir audio bleeds in. Any info??
They're supposed to be in Winona. Probably broadcasting from a cell tower or something.

I'm noticing a pattern here... Why 102.9, of all available frequencies? Are there no Electric listeners in Fayette County?

Ditto with 96.3 in Beckley. No Wolf listeners there?

I'm stopping short of saying there's a conspiracy here... But it does seem odd to put these translators on first adjacents to long-existing Charleston signals, considering all of the other available frequencies.

This is sloppy placement, to say the least.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Dave Loudin wrote:K-rock, the WSLW proposal was filed during this window, which allowed such moves.
Okay. I was just wondering.

There seems to be a lot of crazy moves being filed in this window.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

There's an application that appears to be still hanging to move a daytimer on 1520 in Springdale, NC to 920 in Falls Church, VA. There are four or five other apps for 920 in the vicinity, so I would have expected all of them to have gotten the boot by now.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

WVPB''s problem in Parkersburg is that they are horizontal only. Which works great with car radios :roll:

Instead of putting in IBOC they should have improved the antenna system.
But they probably couldn't get a Federal grant for anything so mundane.
radiofan

Post by radiofan »

ok i found the translator for 102.9 http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.e ... _id=157429

Page says it's CP Off Air but it's sure on..lol
bryan27

Post by bryan27 »

Tom Taggart wrote:WVPB''s problem in Parkersburg is that they are horizontal only. Which works great with car radios :roll:

Instead of putting in IBOC they should have improved the antenna system.
But they probably couldn't get a Federal grant for anything so mundane.
I was checking grants today and WV-Pubcasting didn't apply for an IBOC grant. Only a grant to convert the TV stations to digital. So I wonder what they are paying the IBOC conversion with.

I don't know what they are doing with that station, but it is still comming in loud and clear up here. It was non existant 6 months ago. I don't think an atmospheric condition would last 6 months.
WVJW Your Station For More News More Often
bryan27

Post by bryan27 »

radiofan wrote:ok i found the translator for 102.9 http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.e ... _id=157429

Page says it's CP Off Air but it's sure on..lol
The CDBS often is slow to change that. Are you sure you heard a rebroadcast or just another station comming in on that frequency? It could have been WELC Welch. The translator app is for 5 watts and the FCC 60dbu map doesn't show much of a coverage area.
WVJW Your Station For More News More Often
Dave Loudin

Re: Here we go...

Post by Dave Loudin »

Cameron wrote:AND THE BIG NEWS - BYE BYE 100KW on PAY:
WPAY in Portsmouth, OH is downgrading to a class C0 with 35kw ERP - being "PAY-ed off" by WJZK in Richwood, OH so WJZK can
change their city-of-license to Grandview Heights, OH - becoming a downtown Columbus, OH station.

(The agreement, ERP, and HAAT indicate a C0, the application mistakenly says C1 - Commish won't grant a C1 at this antenna-height.)

Cue Steve Miller Band: Woaahh take the money and run...
Not so fast! :wink:

WPAY is now asking to maintain 100 kW with a DA to protect WJZK's tower dance.
sportsvoice

Re: Here we go...

Post by sportsvoice »

Dave Loudin wrote:
Cameron wrote:AND THE BIG NEWS - BYE BYE 100KW on PAY:
WPAY in Portsmouth, OH is downgrading to a class C0 with 35kw ERP - being "PAY-ed off" by WJZK in Richwood, OH so WJZK can
change their city-of-license to Grandview Heights, OH - becoming a downtown Columbus, OH station.

(The agreement, ERP, and HAAT indicate a C0, the application mistakenly says C1 - Commish won't grant a C1 at this antenna-height.)

Cue Steve Miller Band: Woaahh take the money and run...
Not so fast! :wink:

WPAY is now asking to maintain 100 kW with a DA to protect WJZK's tower dance.
Looks like WJZK has changed their requested facilities so they can run full Class A signal. They're now requesting West Jefferson as the city of license instead, as well.

Wonder if they had problems meeting spacing to 103.9 or 104.9 with their last application?
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

The only technical change to WJZK's application is to raise the proposed antenna to full class A. This is still fully spaced to everyone, save WPAY. Why they decided to propose a different COL to move "to" is not clear to me (they had to resort to Longley-Rice to prove 70 dBu over this community.)
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

from the WPAY app filed the 5th of march:

THIS MINOR AMENDMENT IS BEING FILED CONCURRENTLY WITH A MINOR AMENDMENT TO THE CONTINGENT APPLICATION TO MODIFY THE FACILITIES OF STATION WJZK (FM), FACILITY ID. NO. 30563 (BPH-20070119ACO). THE WJZK(FM) APPLICATION IS BEING AMENDED TO REPLACE THE FORMERLY REQUESTED COMMUNITY OF GRANDVIEW HEIGHTS, OH, WITH THE NEW COMMUNITY OF WEST JEFFERSON, OH, AND INCREASE THE ANTENNA COR TO 100 METERS HAAT. THIS AMENDED WPAY-FM CLASS C0 DOWNGRADE AND THE WJZK AMENDMENT ARE BOTH PROPOSING SIMULTANEOUS 73.215 PROCESSING AGAINST EACH OTHER. THESE TWO CONTINGENT APPLICATIONS ARE TO BE PROCESSED, PURSUANT TO SECTION 73.3517(E) OF THE RULES, WITH ONE OTHER CONTINGENT APPLICATION, THAT OF WQEL(FM), FACILITY ID NO. 7112 (BPH-20070119ACQ) TO CHANGE ITS COMMUNITY OF LICENSE TO RICHWOOD, OH, TO REPLACE SERVICE THAT WOULD BE LOST BY THE RELOCATION OF WJZK(FM)FROM RICHWOOD, OH, TO WEST JEFFERSON, OH. THESE APPLICATIONS ARE FILED AS PART OF A RELATED GROUP OF APPLICATIONS TO MAKE CHANGES IN FACILITIES, AND CROSS-REFERENCES EACH OF THE RELATED APPLICATIONS. THIS APPLICATION INCLUDES A COPY OF THE AGREEMENT TO UNDERTAKE THE COORDINATED FACILITY MODIFICATIONS BETWEEN THE LICENSEE OF WJZK(FM) AND WQEL(FM) AND THE LICENSEE OF WPAY-FM.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Dave Loudin wrote:The only technical change to WJZK's application is to raise the proposed antenna to full class A. This is still fully spaced to everyone, save WPAY. Why they decided to propose a different COL to move "to" is not clear to me (they had to resort to Longley-Rice to prove 70 dBu over this community.)
Maybe Grandview Heights looked too weak in the Tuck analysis.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Yes, that "tuck" showing can be a pain in the...... :oops:
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

since JZK is proposing the same tower site the increase to full class A would allow them to reach more of Columbus.
Matt
Program Director/Music Director/Owner
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
http://www.xmusiconline.com/
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

BUMP to note that some non-commercial mutually-exclusive groups from 1995 are finally getting sorted. An app for 88.1 in Beckley is moving forward.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

The Commission has granted Burbach's request to move WRZZ to WXIL's tower. Prepare to hear "WXIL, Elizabeth" buried in a stop-set coming soon to a radio near you. Also approved was WELD-FM's hop to the east to become a Moorefield station.

In the hopper is a request by WXXP (nee WANB) Waynesburg to modify their Auction 84 application from 1190 kHz to 1210 kHz, 5 kW day/ 710 watts critical hours. The critical hours service will provide slightly more coverage than the current 720 watts on 1580 kHz.

WV Public TV has decided to live with transmitting from half of their antenna on ch. 69 in Romney instead of building new facilities on ch. 23.

Dismissed (by request?) is a seven year old request for a TV translator in Elkins (same company had other TX requests around Ocean City dismissed).
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

CP for new Glenville FM has been approved. Class A on 107.7. Tower sited to eke 70dBu over Burnsville.