Use Vista in your complex at your own risk...

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Tom Taggart

Use Vista in your complex at your own risk...

Post by Tom Taggart »

See article here:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/p ... ost.html#a

Excerpt:

"In order to appropriately protect content, Vista will probably have to disable any special device features that it can't directly control. For example many sound cards built on C-Media chipsets (which in practice is the vast majority of them) support Steinberg's ASIO (Audio Stream I/O), a digital audio interface that completely bypasses the Windows audio mixer and other audio-related driver software to provide more flexibility and much lower latency than the Windows ones. ASIO support is standard for newer C-Media hardware like the CMI 8788. Since ASIO bypasses Windows' audio handling, it would probably have to be disabled, which is problematic because audiophiles and professional musicians require ASIO support specifically because of its much higher quality than the standard Windows channels (you can get more information on Vista's audio architecture and the changes from XP in this post from Creative Labs)."

Reference post at: (watch the wrap)

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs ... ge.id=1694
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Hit post too fast.

I only understand about a tenth of this, but it appears that sound cards such as the audio science that use on-board mixers may not work with Vista.

Also, I smell problems with automation systems that are now capable of mixing WAV and MP3 files on playback (such as Simian).
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

I had heard it was DRM'd all to hell, but didn't think of the ramifications on 3rd party gear.

We haven't even made it to XP yet, Robojock is still running Win2k Pro.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Also notice the use of the word "probably". They went to a lot of trouble to complain about something they haven't taken the time to confirm.

Although I'd counter that a large percentage of specialized software isn't going to work just because Vista can't handle it.