WKKX + Listeners = Arbitron Success

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Big Media

Post by Big Media »

smiller wrote:And as much all the owners/big companies/newstalks/ etc. get bashed here, almost no one outside this board actually cares.
Welcome to the board. I agree 100%. I heard a caller once get on to Glenn Beck about CCs dominance/monopoly/conglomeration/whatever. Glenn argued with her for a while about how the vast majority of media users don't know and don't care who owns what.

That was also the first time I heard Glenn say "oh... GET OF MY PHONE!"

Love it.

Smiller is right, Glenn is right. Then again, what is my user name?
304live

Post by 304live »

you know where radio sucks.....

charlotte.... you'd think they'd have better talent there with how big of a market it is...
darkpower

Post by darkpower »

Arp2 wrote:
Justin D. wrote:Oh, and not ALL Wheeling people act like retards (hi, howya doin'?).

Well, if this board is indicative,....
Isn't anyone aware here that I'm the resident Wheeling native here?
I think we all are!
Should've been quite obvious.
Oh, it was!
:roll:

And you...were born on Wheeling Island, right?
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Justin D. wrote:
Arp2 wrote:
Justin D. wrote:Oh, and not ALL Wheeling people act like retards (hi, howya doin'?).

Well, if this board is indicative,....
Isn't anyone aware here that I'm the resident Wheeling native here?
I think we all are!
Should've been quite obvious.
Oh, it was!

I don't even know what that means....

...which, in a way, is a big part of the point.

By the way, Justin, did you write the Wikipedia entry? Would you like some of us here to step in and correct all the errors in it?
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Maddog

Post by Maddog »

I agree with smiller. I use to post more often on the board, but I hated to be lumped in with a small minority of people in Wheeling who made all of us in the market look like we didn't know anything about our industry. The people who work and make a living in Wheeling in this industry know how to make a good product and deliver what the listeners want to hear. We are all part of West Virginia radio, and we deserve to have our voices heard and participate in intelligent discussions about our industry without fear of being ridiculed because of some loud, obnoxious posters that are pushing an agenda. By the way, I am not hiding behind my screen name. It is a nickname from my days in the WVU marching band that I use often on message boards and the like. I simply prefer not to use my real name on the information highway as it currently is.
Rock

Post by Rock »

I don't think most people here care about the user names....just the people behind them. By not posting to avoid being lumped in with the others actually hurts the cause, methinks. Of course, there are dedicated and talented radio professionals in Wheeling; I just wish we'd hear more from you folks. 8)
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Rock wrote:I don't think most people here care about the user names....just the people behind them. By not posting to avoid being lumped in with the others actually hurts the cause, methinks. Of course, there are dedicated and talented radio professionals in Wheeling; I just wish we'd hear more from you folks. 8)
Ditto...

Jump in with/on anything and everything...!

Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Arp2 wrote: Ditto...

Jump in with/on anything and everything...!
ok, i'm confused, are we talking about schaffer's sister again???
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

My sister lives in Wheeling, funny how these things work out.
darkpower

Post by darkpower »

Arp2 wrote:
Justin D. wrote:
Arp2 wrote:
Well, if this board is indicative,.... I think we all are! Oh, it was!

I don't even know what that means....

...which, in a way, is a big part of the point.

By the way, Justin, did you write the Wikipedia entry? Would you like some of us here to step in and correct all the errors in it?
Wheeling Island. Usually home of most of the crime in this area (even though that's been replaced by North Wheeling anymore).

And no, I don't think Wikipedia would allow you to make any entry lopsided (grammar corrections would be fine, we all make grammar errors). But correcting spelling and grammar is one thing, while making the entry into something that violates it neutuality (sp?) is something else entirly, which I think that is what you would do (since you're so far to the right and think that anyone with a different point of view than you is a retard).
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

You didn't answer -- Did you write it?

It's full of the kinds of mistakes you make and things you have wrong.
Justin D. wrote:And no, I don't think Wikipedia would allow you to make any entry lopsided...
It's horribly lopsided right now...I'm talking butt-kissing, leg-humping fanboy lopsided! And, yes, being Wiki, I could go edit it any way I wanted to, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Do you want us to fix it?

For example, W-whatever-it-is is not a radio format!

Oh, never mind....let it, being representative, stay a mess....

The Snake

Post by The Snake »

First off, Sorry to dig up an old thread.

I wasn't banned (well not recently). I haven't visited the site in a long time and forgot my password. LOL

Plus I spend most of my forum time on http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/fo ... &forumid=2

Dragnet, if you have the numbers then P.M. then to me. I'd love to see how KKX did!

I haven't listened to that station in over a year. Not since I got Sirius in my Home, Car and my office! I've been enjoying Howard Stern, Bubba The Love Sponge, commercial free music, the NFL channel. I'm much happier, now, not having to listen to my co-workers crap radio with KKX (the only station they can pick up) playing on it.

Yes many people in Wheeling are nuts, and yes Wheeling sucks. I blame the river water for the mental state of Wheeling residents and piss poor leadership of city officials for Wheeling sucking. Not saying my home town, Steubenville, is a major metropolis, but it's nicer than Wheeling.

JustinD is a Wheeling/KKX mark. He's in love with the station and town. Poor guy thinks his Sig is cool. Of course he's nuts!

Crusader Dave, Hey Dave missed you at state this year! Back2Back. Maybe next year Dave. How's Krogers?

KKX is in Wikipedia? I got to see this! Wikipedia entry , in my opinion is normally created by a fan, or a lackey working for entry.

KKX isn't worth bashing anymore. It's local yokel radio. It's not making millions, or ready to syndicate nationally. It's a small locally owned radio station that keeps itself in the black by having low over head in combination with a low signal. If that what you as a listener wants to hear daily, then that your choice.

I wanted more content and better quality. I went with Sirius and haven't listened to FM/AM in a year.

There will always be a market for KKX, a small aging market, but one none the less. But with the current political correctness and the over all saturation of more and more commercials FM/AM is just not for me.

But to the KKX fans out there I say enjoy you 20 minutes of commercials and lame content every hour.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

The Snake wrote:Not saying my home town, Steubenville, is a major metropolis, but it's nicer than Wheeling.
Nothing personal, but I found Steubenville to be the nastiest, most God-awful hellhole of a town I've ever visited. Even worse than traditional standard bearers like Welch, West Virginia and Bombay, India. A poster child for filthy, abject, third-world-style poverty.

And wasn't Steubenville the only city in America with a population under 100,000 with an FBI mandate to monitor police conduct because the cops beat the hell out of everyone?

If Steubenville is nicer than Wheeling ... well, I just can't believe that.

Sorry, and again, only my observations.

:wink:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Dr. Bronner

NALF Issued

Post by Dr. Bronner »

On March 6, WKKX was issued an NALF by the FCC for $4000 for broadcasting a live telephone conversation without notice to person being called. [FCC Ref. DA-07-1058]

Could action for additional rules violations be in the pipeline from the Commission??? :roll:

Stay tuned... as they say, I wouldn't be surprised. :wink:
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Not to get off topic here but a few months ago I saw a ad on FNS Pittsburgh for Steubenville. Something along the lines that Steubenville was a great place to live if you work in the city of Pittsburgh.
Like Steubenville was a suburb of Pittsburgh. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

This f-cking thread makes me want to jab myself in the eye with a pencil.
Rock

Post by Rock »

Dude, you wanna hear something sad? I actually deciphered all of your avatar at first glance, with the exception of 'get laid'.

Funny how that works. Funny, but not surprising. :roll:
- Claire Wolfe
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Personally I think Hiroshima is a much nicer town that Nagasaki.
Pass the pencil.
Rock

Post by Rock »

Yeah, but they'll run your Yankee ass out of 'Peace Park' in Hiroshima. :wink:

Especially after you give 'em the 'mushroom cloud' hand signal. :lol: :oops:
- Claire Wolfe
genlock

Post by genlock »

Steubenville is worse than Welch? Really?
I can't imagine.