Hit the road, Jack

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

What are you smokin' man? I've only been gone a few years, but last time I checked, WQBE was a powerhouse. #1 in the market to be exact. I think you mean WZJO, or at least I hope so.
You may have a point here but it does keep Bristol and LM from launching the oldies plattform, which we already know based on KAZ's previous oldies ratings, would be a good switch for an under performer like MIX or WQBE.
Sorry, quote should have been above.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

QBE has been #1 since before Tesla and Marconi started bitching at each other. I doubt flipping that format woould work out all that well.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Jay Nunley wrote:QBE has been #1 since before Tesla and Marconi started bitching at each other.
whooooa, was that where they got the idea for "Love Song"????

sorry about the stoner comment, i was in court all day (too subtle???)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Schaffer wrote:What are you smokin' man? I've only been gone a few years, but last time I checked, WQBE was a powerhouse. #1 in the market to be exact. I think you mean WZJO, or at least I hope so.
You may have a point here but it does keep Bristol and LM from launching the oldies plattform, which we already know based on KAZ's previous oldies ratings, would be a good switch for an under performer like MIX or WQBE.
Sorry, quote should have been above.
That was totally intended as a joke. However, I reread my post and I don't think I made that clear. It's fixed now. :wink:

That would make a great April Fools joke though... but it's been done before, so many times.

I was going to use WZJO but I refuse to suggest that any modern rock station even consider changing their format. You'll not hear that from me. No siree.
304live

Post by 304live »

so can somebody explain to me what the difference is supposed to be between the three?

im being serious.... some of my other questions are....

-with their "leanings" is this enough to actually draw in advertisers that wouldnt normally advertise on a station or would only advertise on their station?

-do these "leanings" in a market of this size actually translate into ratings surges in the targeted demo's?

-do these increased demo ratings actually translate into increased ad dollars?
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

304live wrote:-with their "leanings" is this enough to actually draw in advertisers that wouldnt normally advertise on a station or would only advertise on their station?
Advertisers go where listeners go.
-do these "leanings" in a market of this size actually translate into ratings surges in the targeted demo's?
Yes.
Yes.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

This format has the likelihood of increasing (at least a little) the size of the listening pie, not just cutting another station's slice a little thinner. As a hater of what I believe typical cluster strategy is doing to the industry as a whole, I'm a fan of what they've done.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

with their "leanings" is this enough to actually draw in advertisers that wouldnt normally advertise on a station or would only advertise on their station?

Some of the thought process might involve expectations of an increase against where the station has been. The overall strategy might also involve a consideration of how the move might reposition a competitor or weaken a competitor's cluster position. I don't know the stations or the decision makers but from what has been written it is apparent that we're talking about good broadcasters who are more than capable of thinking through the long term affects of strategy changes. And this appears to be a tactic implemented as one element of a larger strategic plan.

One question I have - Is there some change over the past year with the competitors that might have weakend their clusters' positions? I don't necessarily mean the format competitors' positions, but the clusters'.

Again as an outsider, I find 304's questions to be good for all of us. Thinking and the re-thinking of strategy is a cornerstone of radio.
You gotta be willing to do the time.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I agree!

Oh, I thought you said DRINKING was the cornerstone of radio.

Never mind.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

daveinthemorning Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:31 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree!

Oh, I thought you said DRINKING was the cornerstone of radio.
That too but its the "re-drinking" that is key! It is all about Return on Investment!
You gotta be willing to do the time.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Sandman wrote: its the "re-drinking" that is key! It is all about Return on Investment!
awwww dude, that's SICK.... i used to know a guy on my football team in England that would make money doing that.... we used to come out of the pub after a match all pissed up, we'd get on the bus for the ride home and he'd bet people that he'd drink his own pee..... it was SOOOOOO gross!!!!

[/threadjack]
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Rajiv Ghandi, former Prime Minister of India, drank his own pee, part of a Hindu purification ritual. Remember, your urine is sterile.

EEEEEEWWWWWWWWW
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Bob Campbell wrote:Remember, your urine is sterile.
and warm....

and, at times, frothy...
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Bob Campbell wrote:Remember, your urine is sterile.
But only to its owner.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

I caught a little of the "classic top-40" Monday night on a "quick" trip to/from Montgomery for a memorial service. I liked hearing a classic Coke commercial, but, as a 45-year-old fart, I was surprised to not feel immediate love for the format. I didn't listen on the way out Tuesday evening because the chillin's wanted current stuff (CIR), so I hope to catch it the next time back to give it a fair shake.

(Might have been during TK's time...)
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

I heard them launch it (which was funny as all hell--I liked it a lot). I've been able to listen to Tom Kent a little bit and a few other quarter hours here and there. I don't know anything about oldies, Top 40, or other gay formats***, but it sounds pretty good to me. I like it more than the usual oldies format. Maybe some of the gurus can tell me why.

***A gay format is anything that isn't a form of rock, talk, WVOW block programming, or classic country.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Thanks for the props. James..and just for you...a sealed box of fresh Lum and Abner tapes will be coming your way!
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Jay Nunley wrote:I like it more than the usual oldies format. Maybe some of the gurus can tell me why.
Easy -- the format's gotten younger as you've gotten.....

Well, you know.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Arp2 wrote:
Jay Nunley wrote:I like it more than the usual oldies format. Maybe some of the gurus can tell me why.
Easy -- the format's gotten younger as you've gotten.....

Well, you know.
grey?

lazy?

closer to the internal soul of his inner-most feminine being?

just shootin' from the hip here.... the suspense is killing me!
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Older!