Anybody know where Cable County is ???

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Arp2 wrote:You're missin' out.
Alright. I'll watch it next time. Just for you.

I'll let you know what I think.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Anybody seen my parachute pants? I think I lost them at Night Ranger show.
EZ103.3FM

Re: Anybody know where Cable County is ???

Post by EZ103.3FM »

OldSkool wrote:I have stayed quiet long enough. Am I to believe that the author of this thread has never made a mistake? Does he not have a life outside of radio? Does he live to point out mistakes of his peers? If you want to right a wrong in local media, hunt down the person responsible for letting the local commercials blare much louder than the network ones during Planet Earth 'cause it really pisses me off.
EZ103.3FM wrote:It's definitely being prononced Cable, not Cabell....
It's definitely spelled pronounced, not prononced.
LOL...and OOPS

I make lots of mistakes - but they bug the heck out of me when I do, especially when they're in written text. I post on several other message boards and write articles for herdnation.com and I try to read through things a number of times before letting anyone else see them. If a mistake eludes me and makes it onto a site I'm really pissed at myself.

Anyone can make a mistake at any time. My point was: once it was made what is the reason it lived on week after week? Was it not noticed? Was it not worth the effort to correct? Was it noticed and nobody cared?

Where it happened wasn't important, as it could happen anywhere. I just wondered why something like that continued. A former boss at WHEZ-FM once told me 'dead air is better than dumb air' and I guess my ears perk up when I hear mistakes.

My first radio experience was at WDUB-FM at Denison U. I taught the kids from Northern Ohio how to pronounce Gallipolis and Scioto and they taught me how to pronounce Geauga and Ashtabula.

It was amazing how many things got mispronounced even though I knew there was a phonetic pronunciation right there in the UPI copy.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Arp2 wrote:That's no fad....that's a long-term, true mass-appeal, brings-the-whole-family-together phenomenon that incorporates several real trends.

You're missin' out.

8)
couldn't that argument work for parachute pants too???

long term-i know people that still wore them well into the 90's
true-mass appeal-my mom owned parachute pants
brings the whole family together-see above mass appeal reference, and of course we had parachute pant discussions over dinner
incorporates several real trends-well, first of all this whole wearing pants trend is way over-played. then the zipper trend, and the comfot trend...

:wink:
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Arp2 wrote:
AARON SCOTT wrote:I appreciate you bringing up 2 years ago.
I had some help...I didn't remember you.
Your welcome.
AARON SCOTT

Post by AARON SCOTT »

LOL
kriss kross will make ya jump, jump
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

The whole "Gallipolis" thing gets me. I was always told it was pronounced "gall uh pu leece"..that's the way it was pronounced on TV and that's the way I was told to pronounce it when I was at Marshall. But then in 1991 when I went to work there I learned that if you are FROM there it is pronounced "gall uh py liss". In fact the locals would correct you if you pronounced it "gall uh pu leece".
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Fortunately, there aren't too many locals so you only need to say it that way when you're at the Gallia County Fair.
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

daveinthemorning wrote:The whole "Gallipolis" thing gets me. I was always told it was pronounced "gall uh pu leece"..that's the way it was pronounced on TV and that's the way I was told to pronounce it when I was at Marshall. But then in 1991 when I went to work there I learned that if you are FROM there it is pronounced "gall uh py liss". In fact the locals would correct you if you pronounced it "gall uh pu leece".
Here at the Corps of Engineers where I work now, we couldn't decide how to pronounce it so we changed it to 'Robert C. Byrd'....at least the locks and dam anyway.
Last edited by EZ103.3FM on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

No dude, these people would get really red about it. I can't tell you the number of times people would say, "Why do you all at that radio station pronounce it......when its really........".

It was a big deal there. Of course they had a town called Patriot that was pronounced like the name "Pat", Chauncey which was pronounced like "chance", and don't even get me started on "Rio Grande" or "Lancaster" which is pronounced "Lancuster"
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

We had a lady call us from Gallipolis who works at the hospital up there answering phones and she was told its "police"...not "poliss.." Or our wx peeps that say gal-op-olis....

BTW, I not only had parachute pants, Bon Jovi cd, I had a Micheal Jackson studded glove that my grandma made me....

I was WAYYY cool!
Lee

Post by Lee »

herdgirl72 wrote:.....I had a Micheal Jackson studded glove that my grandma made me....
Why do I feel disgusted and aroused at the same time?
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

Not those kinds of studs....

ulk...
:roll:
Lee

Post by Lee »

I kinda FIGURED that...

Did you moonwalk and do the Thriller dance?
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

Lee wrote:I kinda FIGURED that...

Did you moonwalk and do the Thriller dance?

Hell yeah!!
But Thriller wasn't nearly as good as Off the Wall...that was the $hit!!
Lee

Post by Lee »

Those were the days when Michael was a nappy headed ho and not some fat white chick like he is now...
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

and Quincy Massachusetts is pronounced Quinzee.

Studs are hot, doesn't matter which kind you're talking about.
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

EZ103.3FM wrote:It was amazing how many things got mispronounced even though I knew there was a phonetic pronunciation right there in the UPI copy.
That just brought back a great memory. Dave Poole used to have index cards to read along with the weather. Something like:

"...103.3 WTCR...It's [time]. I'm [your name]. Here's your local forecast..."

...and somebody actually said it word for word...LMAO! And, no, it wasn't me, but I do recall being a newby and hearing Chuck Black saying Tonya Tucker instead of Tanya! :P
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~Henry David Thoreau
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Michael Jackson..the poor little black boy that grew up to be a rich white woman.

Thank you, I'll be here all week. That was stolen, BTW, from some comedian that I don't remember.
Lee

Post by Lee »

OldSkool wrote:
EZ103.3FM wrote:It was amazing how many things got mispronounced even though I knew there was a phonetic pronunciation right there in the UPI copy.
That just brought back a great memory. Dave Poole used to have index cards to read along with the weather. Something like:

"...103.3 WTCR...It's [time]. I'm [your name]. Here's your local forecast..."

...and somebody actually said it word for word...LMAO! And, no, it wasn't me, but I do recall being a newby and hearing Chuck Black saying Tonya Tucker instead of Tanya! :P
I remember a story where Dave the Rave said something to the effect of, "It's hard being this great" after a break...