Something to ponder

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

1977 was when I was really beginning to get into music, as far as making musical choices for myself. Growing up there was never a time that I wasn't around music, from my dad playing Jimmy Reed, Little Richard and Ike and Tina (not to mention Johnny Cash and Waylon) to my mom's fondness for disco (I DID NOT inherit that). I was seven years old in 1977 and can remember going to Burgess and Lohn Supermarket in Man or WLOG Musicland in Logan and buying most of the 45's I was hearing on WVOW and WLOG.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I was still going to the toilet in my pants in 1977.

...I was 23. Image
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

Okay, okay. So I don't usually use the word "dreck" alot, so I might have used it out of context in this environment (another word I seldom use, but I know I had it right!).

The dreck that I was refering to were The Eagles, Barbara Streisand, Fleetwood Mac, and Barry Manilow.

Sorry I misled you into thinking that might be some other type of dreck on that list...
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
jag

Post by jag »

Not to be confused with "The Dreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald," right?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Scott Reppert wrote: The dreck that I was refering to were The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac...
Different strokes for different folks, but how can you call THOSE bands dreck when The Partridge Family, The Carpenters, Donnie and Marie, Leif Garrett and his brother David Cassidy, that old man who sung "That's The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" and Led Zeppelin were making equal to or as much dreck?
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
jag

Post by jag »

Lee, are you being brutally facetious or are you serious about "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia?" I recall a woman doing that, but I don't remember a male vocal version. Yeah, a guy wrote the song (Bobby Russell), but a male singer...?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Brook Benton did "Rainy Night in Georgia"

Vikki Lawrence did "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia"

Tanya Tucker starred in move called "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia"
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Winnah!
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
LtDunsel

Stevie Wonder and his nappy little head...

Post by LtDunsel »

While lookin' at the list of 100 tunes, Stevie Wonders "Sir Duke" reminded me that I hadn't listened to Songs in the Key of Life for quite awhile...So I threw it in the CD player, and in a few minutes the 1977 #1 hit, "I Wish" caught my ear with the first line...

"Looking back on when I was a little nappy headed boy..."

Mebbe someone oughta refer it to Weird Al, or one of you guys on the air might wanna do yer own parody/tribute to Don Imus...

Have him in the unemployment line, "...Lookin' back on when I called 'em little nappy headed ho's..."

(Hey, if I were good, I'd be writing for Letterman, not messin' around on here with you guys)
Last edited by LtDunsel on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
WVRC - WLIT - WADC/WIBZ - WCEF - WKLC - WOAY FM - WTNJ - WOAY TV - WBTQ - WKKW - WHYL

If it feels good, DO IT! And do it once for me...
jag

Post by jag »

Yeah, daveinthemorning, I knew it was Vicki who did the song. In fact, she was married to Bobby Russell at the time (yep, the same guy who did "Saturday Morning Confusion" and wrote a raft of other good stuff).

But was there, indeed, a male version of the "Georgia" tune, or was Lee being a bit snide? :?:
LtDunsel

Post by LtDunsel »

In '95, there was a CD that was packaged to look like an old K-Tel record, entitled Super Fantastic Mega Smash Hits! It is a collection of alternative artists singing '70s pop classics. On it was singer/songwriter Vic Chestnut's rendition of "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia. " Michael Stipe was a fan of Chestnut's, and produced his first two releases. I couldn't find the song listed on any of Chestnut's own releases, but it was on the aforementioned CD.
WVRC - WLIT - WADC/WIBZ - WCEF - WKLC - WOAY FM - WTNJ - WOAY TV - WBTQ - WKKW - WHYL

If it feels good, DO IT! And do it once for me...
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Lee wrote:Led Zeppelin
Dude.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

jag wrote:...Bobby Russell at the time (yep, the same guy who did "Saturday Morning Confusion" and wrote a raft of other good stuff).
"1432 Franklin Pike Circle Hero" 8) 8) 8)
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30