WV Radio Corp Pulls Offensive Music

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

The very first one I remember was:

funky kicks go-in down in the city-----big ole jet-airliner..............

(for those not familiar under 30---the actual song on the album (yes, vinyl) said, "funky shit go-in down in the city."

This was during a time when EVEN THE RECORD PRODUCERS knew what was allowed and what was not and they gave you the alternative version for air-play)-----------------

and good lord that was in 1978!

What's the hub-bub?

It's never really changed, except for a period that saw record producers either trying to push the envelope or just not caring about it and leaving it up to the stations to edit.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Kitesgot wrote:What's the hub-bub? ....

Good question. I've been asking that a lot since recently finding a well-researched and documented article showing that the rate of drug overdoses among boomers in the 70s' was approximately three times the present teens/20s crowd. You wouldn't know that from the present level of hysteria.

It's all about control. As Rufus T. Firefly, president of Freedonia once put it, "Hail Freedonia, Freedonia we are free, Hail Freedonia, you must be just like me. If any form of pleasure is exhibited, report to me and it will be prohibited..."
1015RiverRat

Post by 1015RiverRat »

Somewhere Frank Zappa is spinning in his grave.
Brad Allen

Post by Brad Allen »

Most of the examples sited in this thread are songs that say one thing, but mean something else. Right or wrong, they (or at least the radio edits) weren't full of obvious profanity that is barely blanked out. None of them can compare to the obviously blanked f-bomb in the Avril Lavigne song cited in the WVRC release. For that reason alone, I will never play the song on the air. Avril is an icon to the teen and pre-teen age groups, and she's setting a poor example right now.

To those of you crying "censorship" right now, do we not have the right to serve our listeners with a some sense of morality? What's wrong with trying to provide entertainment to a parent who doesn't want their child to hear that kind of crap? You'd be the first to tell me that if I don't like what I hear, I can always change the station. Well, if you don't like our semi-moral streak, you're welcome (and encouraged) to do the same thing.
In His service,
Brad Allen
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

Fine I'll take my ball and go the f*ck home.... hehe... thats the point thats being made i think is "why now" after all the years of doing this, what makes it bad is the way the media reacts to these sort of happenings like they're something thats totally evil and never happened before, its like when tom petty put out "you dont know how it feels" and most of the stations that played it ran an edited version that covered the word 'joint' but they left the obvious "fucking" in the song with no attempt to clean it out. now its a 50/50 shot of hearing it edited or not when it comes on the radio...
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Brad Allen

Post by Brad Allen »

I think it was tolerated because it happened so gradually. It's like the straw that broke the camel's back. It takes something blatant to make us look back and notice what we have gradually allowed. I would never want to try to legislate morality - it simply can't be done. But it doesn't mean I can't look at the music I play, and song-by-song, try to do one of 2 things.

1) Try to come up with an edit I can live with, which I have - several times
2) Just don't play the song.

I'm just trying to figure why there are so many trying so hard to push the envelope. Maroon 5 could just have easily said "...and I can't figure out if I ever really cared about you..." instead of blanking the f-bomb, and I believe it would have had absolutely no effect on the impact of the song's chart performance. Fergie's "Glamourous" could have had "...take your broke butt home..." and I'm sure the song would still have done well. Pink could have done the same with "U + Ur Hand", and yes, Avril didn't have to record that line in "Girlfriend", or Christina with "Candyman", or a hundred others I can think of. All of those songs might have done even better if they hadn't put music directors in the position of having to balance dynamic music with a family friendly playlist.

Guess we'll never know for sure.
In His service,
Brad Allen
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

I would have to agree with Brad on this.

What we really have here are boomer record producers in their 50's who never really grew up, and who feel compelled to toss obscenities into the music just to prove they can do it and to show that they still have "street cred" (or is that crud?.

The Avril Levignes of the world aren't smart enough to figure out how they are being manipulated.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I'd hate to think that I would impose my own personal vision of morality on the public at large. As a broadcaster, the only obligations I have are to follow the law of the license and the rules put down by my boss. Morals shouldn't enter into it. People are smart enough to buy what they like and not buy what they don't.

As for Levigne being manipulated; regardless of how smart she may be, I'd gladly be manipulated for a while, in order to take the money and run. In 10 years she will be insignificant, sure, but she'll never have to work again. How many of us will attain more than 50% of that situation in the same amount of time or even in our entire lifetimes?
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

How'd the Avril song do on the charts?

i know one of the biggest hits in the rock world last year was "crazy bitch" and that has very obvious f-bombs cut out.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I heard a cut of Avril's song playing at Kings Island (they now blast pop music in Nick Universe (Hanna Barbara Land) where Avril, herself, sang something like "mother loving princess". So now, we have the artist cut, the radio edit, and the Kings Island edit.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Brad Allen wrote:Avril is an icon to the teen and pre-teen age groups, and she's setting a poor example right now.
Brad, do you hang around teens much? 'Cuz I have a lot teen interns come through my station, and after talking to the majority of them, Avril is more of a reflection of their attitude than an example to them.

I think it's pretty weird at how most of them have no cares when it comes to Love or Sex or Language. Pretty standard stuff to see a child cursing in front of their parents. Or for Parent/Child sex convos to happen openly and honestly. Most of these parents also willingly supply alcohol to their kids for parties...the thought being "As long as it's under my roof, I can keep them safe."

So, Yes, Avril could have recorded the line different. Maroon 5 too. And Fergie. And countless others. But don't blame them or their Producers for the downfall of society. No one is forcing the children to listen.

fanofbigmedia wrote:I heard a cut of Avril's song playing at Kings Island (they now blast pop music in Nick Universe (Hanna Barbara Land) where Avril, herself, sang something like "mother loving princess". So now, we have the artist cut, the radio edit, and the Kings Island edit.
Disney does the same exact thing. I think it's brilliant. "You want your song played here for our audience? Give us a version that's beyond 'clean.'"
1015RiverRat

Post by 1015RiverRat »

And Disney has made a TON of money... far more than Avril... You can be very entertaining and still have morals.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Please don't compare Disney to Avril.

That's like comparing the New York Times to PutnamLive.com
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Bob Loblaw wrote:Please don't compare Disney to Avril.

Smack!!!

Want some more, Bitch?

:lol:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Lee

Post by Lee »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:

Smack!!!

Want some more, Bitch?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn. There's more...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Gawddamit!!!!!!!!

You own me a monitor you evil bastard!

SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Actually, despite its awful writing and blatant....whatever you'd call it, I'd be willing to bet PutnamLive actually has a higher level of accuracy and lower number of corrections necessary.

Besides, Avril is clearly a little brat who needs many belated spankings.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Arp2 wrote: Besides, Avril is clearly a little brat who needs many belated spankings.
PICK ME!!!! PICK ME!!!!!!

[/if that's the only thing I'm going to hell for today, it's been a good day.] rock radio has it's priviledges :) spelling isn't one of them.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.