Geek Squad picks unlikely place for PC-hospital

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

HILLVIEW, Kentucky (AP) -- The top U.S. electronics retailer didn't pick Silicon Valley, India or another high-tech hub to build its hospital for personal computers. It chose the Kentucky countryside, known more for race horses and bourbon distilleries than geeks and microprocessors.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/05/14/geek ... index.html
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

The AP is again not letting the truth get in the way of the story it wants to tell.... :roll:

This place is located very much in suburban Louisville, just a quick couple of exits down the easily-driven interstate highway from the gigantic, 24-hour UPS hub at the Louisville airport. This isn't the middle of nowhere, it's not the sticks, it's not Appalachia...it's could-be-anywhere US suburbia, a touch of drawl being about the only difference.

It would be like an AP writer expressing much surprise that a corporation or financial institution would locate itself so far outside of NYC in a place called "Stamford, Connecticut." :roll:
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Is it close to the tobacco fields spotted by the author of the Jessica Lynch article? :lol:
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Yeah... We got riped by The History Channel series called "The States". Something about Mal Pouch tobacco barns. I though about boycotting but then they started talking about rivers and stuff. Short attention span, I guess.

By the way, has anyone actually seen Mal Pouch tobacco in a store? Is it even a real brand?
lastone

Post by lastone »

By the way, has anyone actually seen Mal Pouch tobacco in a store? Is it even a real brand?
Not lately and yes it was. Spit tobacco you know....
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Yep, Mail Pouch was manufactured by the Bloch Brothers Co of Wheeling. One of my favorite interviews was with the late Harley Warrick, who painted hundreds of those Mail Pouch barns. He was funny, ironic, worldly and, um, I edited out the anti-Semitic parts. :oops:

Somewhat back on topic and to Arp's remarks, the Cleveland Pain Feeler did a local story last year in which the writer dramatically described Belpre as "a tiny Appalachian hamlet." Yeah, a hamlet of 6700 in a 150K metro. I e-mailed the reporter. He wrote back that he likely would have written a better description if he had taken time to look at a map. :roll:
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Dr. Whiplash wrote: the writer dramatically described Belpre as "a tiny Appalachian hamlet." Yeah, a hamlet of 6700 in a 150K metro.
I'd hardly call that huge though. Maybe it's a perspective thing, the town I grew up in is considered relatively small, and its population is almost twice that of Charleston.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Agreed, it's perspective. To me, "tiny hamlet" means maybe one or two dozen homes.

Just living here in a two-state metro, the differences in perspective can be stark. Parkersburg, as a "major city," gets a lot of state attention, while Marietta is a small town somewhere down in the hills. A couple years ago I ran thru 2000 Census numbers and came up with this comparo:
- Parkersburg (32,159), 3rd largest city in WV, would rank 59th in OH.
- Marietta (14,295), 188th largest city in OH, would rank 11th in WV.

So we in Marietta only see our US senators every six years. :cry: Wait. Maybe that's a good thing. :wink:
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

yes they still make it... and its "mail pouch"....not mal pouch
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

SPIKE NESMITH! wrote:
Dr. Whiplash wrote: the writer dramatically described Belpre as "a tiny Appalachian hamlet." Yeah, a hamlet of 6700 in a 150K metro.
I'd hardly call that huge though. Maybe it's a perspective thing, the town I grew up in is considered relatively small, and its population is almost twice that of Charleston.
how about when you don't count the sheep... ???

and their drunk lovers?
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Nar man, we lived in gleeful suburbia. Only 200 or so sheep. It's not like New Zealand where there really are more sheep than people.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

:)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.