Dave Blomquist quits at WKKX

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

*sniff* They don't love me, my sub-200 market or my favourite jock. *sniff* And all I really want is love and acceptance. They're just like the bullies in the high school band who used to show me the blue goldfish every day at lunch... *sniff*

Uh... i mean as Forest Gmup wd say "sory i ruined ur band geeks camp band" lololololz!!11 ur PWNED n00bz!

:roll:
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Big Media

Re: You tuba-hat band geeks just don't get it.........

Post by Big Media »

Talk Junkie wrote:ALL WV radio SUCKS.

The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Re: You tuba-hat band geeks just don't get it.........

Post by The People's DJ »

Talk Junkie wrote:Blah blah blah...WV sucks...blah blah...flamebaiting...blah blah
The Snake

Post by The Snake »

muthaluvfan wrote:See you all at Drunkapalooza!!!!!

I don't think Bloomer will not be hanging out with Muda or Kel-ass ever again.

Not after they trashed him yesterday and he owned them today on his show!

"One hasn't any cred." "He was a photogropher in Belliare" "He was a hanger-on" Talking about Mud.

"THe other, whom I once respected, is just a yes man!" "He hasn't been in Belmont in the last decade" "He just goes from his house to the track and then stops at the radio station" "I had to write down the contacts for him to call and give him bullett point topics!" Talking about Kel-ass.
-----------

Kel-ass being called out as the fake he is, was classic radio gold!

I never fell for Kel-ass's cool aid. Bloomer was the only talent at the KKKx. Now Bloomer is at a real station and it scares Kelly and his hanger-on crew.

You rock Bloomdaddy! :)
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

I'm thinking it's the chromium. Maybe the manganese.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I dunno. I just wish they would post their ramblings elsewhere.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Dude, love the avatar!
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Talk Junkie wrote:You guys bitch when the Wheeling crowd fights with each other on your little Band Geek forum. Then, when they're playing nice, you guys TRY to bait them.
For whatever reason, folks on this board start ribbing new folks once they've "joined the club." It's possible that, although possibly difficult to see, Wheeling posters, having just done the first decent thread in history, were being "welcomed." Note that previous Wheeling threads were largely ignored by most.
What's the best that WV-area radio has to offer?...WV is completely insignificant when it comes to radio

I don't exactly have interstate truckdriver cred, but I've done a good amount of travelling and heard quite a bit of radio. Knowing first the sizes of the markets and the consistent economic conditions in and around them, I defy anyone to physically go to/through the state and not come away pleasantly shocked at the level of operation and talent. Charleston and Morgantown, in particular, will compare very favorably with markets much, much larger, and, given the nowadays-atypical long tenures of management and talent, these stations and talents sound (and are) far more tied-in to their communities than most of us have heard in a long, long time.

If you understand that most places in WV have relatively few signals and, thus, most stations will cover more musical ground (in other words, they're not going to sound like the more narrowly-targeted stations you find in markets with many signals), then you begin to gain an appreciation for what the stations are doing.

And, as for those on-air, again, the level of talent is definitely higher than an outsider might expect. From what I have heard from multiple people, most have had opportunities to go elsewhere ("move up," whatever that actually means and goes along with it) but have stayed because of family connections or having had just fallen in love with the area. Plus, many realize that they're going to have post-radio opportunities, thanks to their "celebrity," that they wouldn't necessarily so easily have in other places.

And there's one other "bonus" that I personally appreciate -- the vast majority are actually adults! I can't tell you how tired I am of having to hear "talents" that are 20 and 30 years younger than their targets, which is now quite often the case as a number of companies have gone the cheap route. I mean, I once heard a 20-something guy, faking his way through Soft AC, inform us that Carly Simon used to be married to James Taylor with the sound of discovery in his voice because...well,...he had just discovered it! I've also heard jocks lamenting the price of a house or talking about a new baby while their typical listeners are thinking how great it is their biggest asset has appreciated and about retirement, cholesterol, and grandkids.

Wrong judgment, wrong talents, wrong places...all now common in radio, but fairly well avoided in WV radio. That makes me more comfortable and connects me better to the stations. I like that.

I like WV radio.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of radio folks who could either take a lesson or a refresher from WV radio.
Hoppy Kercheval ? LMMFAO!
From what I've heard from/of/about Hoppy, both on- and off-air, he is a very, very solid pro, and I'd just about bet real estate that he's had plenty of options offered to him. Whether it be the state's history, politics, or sports, Hoppy comes to the mic very knowledgable and prepared and then keeps things moving forward at a great clip. Many in much larger markets would salivate at having someone like Hoppy in their buildings.
...bearing the burden of having to drive through the state to get to the Marathon refinery in KY.
From Wheeling?

Might I recommend 70 west to 23 south to 60 south? You could completely avoid WV and its radio that way, and it probably wouldn't add more than an hour to your "trying" trip.

And, of course, there are many other "scenic" southeastern Ohio options...you could probably make 100 trips before duplicating a route, and you would be within theoretical earshot of Cleveland, Youngstown, Akron, and/or Columbus 80-90% of the time.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

in all fairness this should go the other way as well.... i feel there's a point when you get too old errr... mature for a format. sure there are a select few old... er.... seasoned radio professionals that can pull it off, as there are a select few young people that can pull off an older demo. but i just have to shake my heads at times listening to jocks hanging on to a format YEARS past their prime trying to stay relavent to a target audience 20-30 years younger than they are.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I hear what you are sayin', Zak, but at the same time, I still believe Gary Miller is one of the best jocks in the market (Huntington). I grew up listening to him and I still listen to him today.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Zak Tyler wrote:in all fairness this should go the other way as well.... i feel there's a point when you get too old errr... mature for a format. sure there are a select few old... er.... seasoned radio professionals that can pull it off, as there are a select few young people that can pull off an older demo. but i just have to shake my heads at times listening to jocks hanging on to a format YEARS past their prime trying to stay relavent to a target audience 20-30 years younger than they are.
I think Rick Dees pulled this off really well for all the years he was at KIIS. His corny bits aside, he still sounded good at the end. Being the morning man for 25+ years at the biggest CHR in the country is quite an accomplishment.

Now, he's doing mornings at LA's Movin 93.9, which still has a target demo much younger than he is.

And Casey Kasem is still doing American Top 40. And he's what, 80?

Despite their age, I couldn't imagine these guys ever doing soft AC.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

K-Rock wrote: And Casey Kasem is still doing American Top 40. And he's what, 80?
Is he? I thought they handed that (and Rick Dees' KIIS shift) to Ryan Seacrest?
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

NOne of the top CHR morning shows are headed by somebody in the demo. Morning shows have to appeal to people beyond the demo for the station to be successful. Grab the 25-54s in the morning, get in office listening during the day and own the kids at night.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

fanofbigmedia wrote:I hear what you are sayin', Zak, but at the same time, I still believe Gary Miller is one of the best jocks in the market (Huntington). I grew up listening to him and I still listen to him today.
K-Rock wrote:I think Rick Dees pulled this off really well for all the years he was at KIIS. His corny bits aside, he still sounded good at the end. Being the morning man for 25+ years at the biggest CHR in the country is quite an accomplishment.

Now, he's doing mornings at LA's Movin 93.9, which still has a target demo much younger than he is.

And Casey Kasem is still doing American Top 40. And he's what, 80?

Despite their age, I couldn't imagine these guys ever doing soft AC.
as i said wrote:sure there are a select few old... er.... seasoned radio professionals that can pull it off, as there are a select few young people that can pull off an older demo.
starting at a station when you are in your prime and "homesteading" there til you're long out of the target demo allows more local acceptance of the age gap.

as far as Dees goes. he was still in his "target prime" when he was playing most of the music on the Movin' format back when it was new. kinda like wink martindale doing oldies radio, it fits.

part of the equation in gaining ratings at a CHR is sex appeal. when trying to score sex appeal points with a young female audience, you really don't wanna use your dad as bait.... ya know?

[/just sayin']
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Casey hosts the Hot AC AT20. Seacrest hosts AT40.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Dave Loudin wrote:Casey hosts the Hot AC AT20.
is that still called "Casey's top 20, 40 whatever"
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Zak Tyler wrote:starting at a station when you are in your prime and "homesteading" there til you're long out of the target demo allows more local acceptance of the age gap.
Good point.

Hey... at least we resurrected the Wheeling thread and turning it into something useful. :mrgreen:

[/side note]
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

fanofbigmedia wrote: Hey... at least we resurrected the Wheeling thread and turning it into something useful. :mrgreen:

[/side note]
wasn't there a decent CHR in Wheeling a decade or so ago? (maybe longer?)

why isn't anybody screaming about that?
Uncle Shishkabob

Post by Uncle Shishkabob »

Rocky 103? WOMP-FM ? Remember the ROCKY103-WOMP Simulcast?
...and in Washington 2 peopls and in Newark a windmill and an armadillo!
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

WOMP sounded great back in the day.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.