Should Wheeling's market rank be higher now

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

darkpower

Should Wheeling's market rank be higher now

Post by darkpower »

Was wanting to ask this for a while, but now it's a good time to point out something.

Wheeling and the metro area around it, with all the new jobs coming around, and if they don't screw this up like they do, may be able to get some people to move back into the Upper OV (if not already). With the higher population, there's GOT to be this question on the minds of someone who's in charge of the market ranks. Could the Wheeling-Stubenville area's rank (don't know what it is right now, was in the 200's last I checked, but that was a LOOONG time ago) be in for a raise of rank soon if the market were to grow (not sure how that would work, but I'm sure someone could be figuring out a way)?
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

according to arbitron.com wheeling is market 249
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
genlock

Post by genlock »

It would require more people moving into the makret that some market above Wheeling. Not likely.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

When all else fails, check the facts.

U.S. Census data:
WHEELING: 2000 pop. 152,876....2006 pop. 147,329....change -3.63%
STEUBENVILLE-WEIRTON: 2000 pop. 131,691....2006 pop. 125,168....change -4.95%
genlock

Post by genlock »

Is the tunnel fixed yet?
Most people, after visiting Wheeling, want to get out fast.
Tunnel is handy access to civilization.

Most people will not consider visiting Wierton.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I've never been to Wheeling, so I don't know what the equivalent would be, but I'll go ahead and tell this joke anyway, and someone else can fix it.

What's the best thing that has come out of Morgantown?

....northbound 79.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:When all else fails, check the facts.

U.S. Census data:
Wow.

I mean, I kinda knew that, but......you know, wow.

genlock wrote:Is the tunnel fixed yet?
No, no.....it's the bridge that is the handy access to civilization!

Either one!

The bridge!

Unfortunately, though, with its current political environment, I fear Ohio, outside of Columbus and Cincinnati, is going to look more like Wheeling and West Virginia every day......
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
genlock

Post by genlock »

Wheeling is more rank every day.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

Arp2 wrote:
Unfortunately, though, with its current political environment, I fear Ohio, outside of Columbus and Cincinnati, is going to look more like Wheeling and West Virginia every day......
Its an occurrence happening all across the country.
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

genlock wrote:Most people will not consider visiting Wierton.
I lived in Wierton for six months between long stints in Chester and Fairmont. Haven't been back since...
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

FearPeddler wrote:
Arp2 wrote:
Not in Sunbelt boomtowns like Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Phoenix. This is where all the good jobs are going, and the people are following.

WV's consistently terrible economic conditions is not a true representation of the rest of the country. In fact, it's a twilight zone, because economic conditions are much better just about everywhere else.
Any "metro" area that has a yearly population decline like this is in serious trouble. Unfortunately, just about every WV metro is showing similar rates of population bleed.

The elderly are dying off, and the young are not staying around to replace them.

To have WV doing so poorly despite the booming national economy is a long-term crisis that the so-called leaders don't even want to address for some reason.

Pitiful.

/soapbox
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

K-Rock wrote:
FearPeddler wrote:
Arp2 wrote:
Not in Sunbelt boomtowns like Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Phoenix. This is where all the good jobs are going, and the people are following.

WV's consistently terrible economic conditions is not a true representation of the rest of the country. In fact, it's a twilight zone, because economic conditions are much better just about everywhere else.
Any "metro" area that has a yearly population decline like this is in serious trouble. Unfortunately, just about every WV metro is showing similar rates of population bleed.

The elderly are dying off, and the young are not staying around to replace them.

To have WV doing so poorly despite the booming national economy is a long-term crisis that the so-called leaders don't even want to address for some reason.

Pitiful.

/soapbox
I could type something about the current party that is in charge of the WV government but this isn't the VOT.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

200 years from now, west virginia will be a "remote assignment" for server farms baby sitters.

or not :)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
darkpower

Post by darkpower »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:When all else fails, check the facts.

U.S. Census data:
Blame that shit on the good for nothing Wheeling gov't.

I'm basing my beliefs on the many new "job openings" that have opened up, which usually draws in SOME new residents (USUALLY).
darkpower

Post by darkpower »

Arp2 wrote:
genlock wrote:Is the tunnel fixed yet?
No, no.....it's the bridge that is the handy access to civilization!

Either one!

The bridge!
You know that I never agree with you on anything, right?

And if I ever do agree with you, that that's a sure fire sign that the apocalypse is near, right?

So, tomorrow, when you wake up, look up in the sky for any big, flaming meteors coming down from the sky, because you're right on that point. Tunnels are just getting through, and anyone that's not a total pussy can climb rocks. Rivers, on the other hand, are a whole 'nother story, because you have those fish, and the murky waters, and those boats, and the coldness that the water can get. You need a bridge to get into civilization.

The guy you quoted has a point, though. And Wheeling was saying they were going to penalize the workers each day they don't finish on time. Guess where THAT promise went? The same place that every single damn OTHER promise about that tunnel repair work went: IN THE FUCKING RIVER!!!!
No, it's not...Ohio doesn't have a fucking FOOD TAX! Big difference.

And we kind of got rid of what WAS making Ohio's political environment fucked up...its name was Bob Taft (trust me, both conservatives AND liberals grew to HATE that retard).
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Justin D. wrote:You know that I never agree with you on anything, right?
To your loss. 8)
And if I ever do agree with you, that that's a sure fire sign that the apocalypse is near, right?
Naw...it will merely mean you're getting a little older, learning a little more, and seeing the truth! :D
So, tomorrow, when you wake up, look up in the sky for any big, flaming meteors coming down from the sky....
I won't be here for the end.
Tunnels are just getting through, and anyone that's not a total pussy can climb rocks. Rivers, on the other hand, are a whole 'nother story, because you have those fish, and the murky waters, and those boats, and the coldness that the water can get. You need a bridge to get into civilization.
It's much simpler than that:

The tunnel leads further into West Virginia and toward Pittsburgh; the bridges lead to Ohio.
No, it's not...Ohio doesn't have a fucking FOOD TAX! Big difference.
I still remember the very first time I came across that and can, to this day, tell you exactly at which highway exit it happened. I had ordered a $2.49 item and had already pulled out and placed on the counter two dollars and two quarters. "You tax food here, too?" I asked incredulously. "Yes, sir," came the apologetic reply to the question she had surely heard many times before. I stopped myself from making a political speech, pulled out the wallet and another dollar, took my chicken strips, and left in a huff.

But what I was talking about in Ohio was what we've seen in just the first half of this year -- a virtual guarantee of ever more money for teachers' and gubmint employees' unions, the beginning of the creation of a friendly environment for trial lawyers, massive nepotism and cronyism, big pay for no work for political friends, significant corruption, and apparent serious incompetence that has magically enabled potential boatloads of identity theft crimes...you know, like it was an "organized" kind of crime or something.

Add to that a declining and aging population and clear signs of the intelligent young fleeing the state, and you quickly see that Ohio is no longer a meaningful separator between Michigan and West Virginia. It's time to go.
...Bob Taft....
Bob Taft, like Bob Dole, got the nod to run "because it was his turn." Let all learn from this that there is no such thing as it being someone's "turn" -- every opportunity must be earned!
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Arp2 wrote:But what I was talking about in Ohio was what we've seen in just the first half of this year -- a virtual guarantee of ever more money for teachers' and gubmint employees' unions.
Good! About time someone other than the Friends of Taft Gazillionaires Club saw some benefits.
the beginning of the creation of a friendly environment for trial lawyers
Wrong.

Taft Administration.
massive nepotism and cronyism
Wrong.

Taft Administration.
big pay for no work for political friends
Wrong.

Taft Administration.
significant corruption
Wrong.

Taft Administration.
apparent serious incompetence that has magically enabled potential boatloads of identity theft crimes
Wrong.

Taft Administration.

... a declining and aging population and clear signs of the intelligent young fleeing the state
Where are you reading this?

References, please!

...Bob Taft, like Bob Dole, got the nod to run "because it was his turn." Let all learn from this that there is no such thing as it being someone's "turn" -- every opportunity must be earned!
True dat.

If I recall correctly, Taft ran for Governor at a time when neither party could produce a serious winning candidate. Taft rode his name recognition and his distant relationship to former President William Howard Taft from being the Hamilton County Treasurer right in to the Governor's office.

Hell, towards the end of Taft's debacle, I wanted John Gilligan back ...

:lol: :wink: 8)

[/stopping now before this becomes a VOT Pissing Match]
Last edited by Hoosier Daddy on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
darkpower

Post by darkpower »

Well, Ted Strickland isn't going to have anything to go to jail over anytime soon...the Ohio GOP party was more of a wreck than the Bush Administration was (and that is saying something, because I didn't think it could've gotten worse than that).
Big Media

Post by Big Media »