Crazy E-Skip This Afternoon

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Donald F. Niles

Crazy E-Skip This Afternoon

Post by Donald F. Niles »

There was an E-Skip Opening this afternoon in the Clarksburg Area..Most of it from Dallas...At one point 97.9 The Beat from Dallas Totally Wiping Out WKKW.
Uncle Shishkabob

Post by Uncle Shishkabob »

It was crazy over in Wheeling(dare I mention the city) My XM is set at 88.3, when I turned it off some Mexican station came screaming through just like a local. I also clicked over to 106.3 the River and it was getting knocked out of the box also. Since I was on the way to a sales call I did not have time to dial around.
...and in Washington 2 peopls and in Newark a windmill and an armadillo!
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

As far as the WKKW thing, are we sure this wasn't Big John, drunk,returning to his beatbox, breakdancing days?
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

KUT Austin and WRR 101.1 Dallas
Waveguide

Post by Waveguide »

For us Ham-ies, It was a nice 6 meter opening last nite
"..... If you are not part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem........
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Waveguide wrote: It was a nice 6 meter opening last nite
I would be intimidated by that.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

aw, come on jay, we'll strap an extention ladder to your ass before you go in....
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Waveguide

Post by Waveguide »

Jay Nunley said:
I would be intimidated by that
Remember, Jay, a 747 looks small when flying into the Grand Canyon
"..... If you are not part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem........
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

like throwing a hot dog down a hallway....

like feeding a whale a tick tac....

ok, i'm done.... for now
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

waving a stick around in a warm room?
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
mfreier

Post by mfreier »

Similar activity on Friday afternoon in NCWV. KLXK 93.5 Breckenridge, TX (west of Fort Worth) came in completely over WBTQ.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

SPIKE NESMITH! wrote:waving a stick around in a warm room?
:lol:
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Could Loudin's group be behind this????

[/tin foil beanie]
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

:twisted:
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
The Big Ear

Post by The Big Ear »

Hey - this is probably NOT the same thing... but maybe close... I was rolling through Huntington the other day... actually a sunny day recently, I want to say last Saturday (the day Marshall lost to New Hampshire... ugh) ...

Anyhow, I picked up a K-Love station in the 94's... I want to say it was 94.1... I didn't get the call letters. Anyone have any idea what the heck that was about?

It caught me off guard a bit. Strong signal. I listened for a full song, and it sounded fine. Then flipped... wondering if a new station all of a sudden opened... or I had some bounced signal coming in?
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

The Big Ear wrote:Hey - this is probably NOT the same thing... but maybe close... I was rolling through Huntington the other day... actually a sunny day recently, I want to say last Saturday (the day Marshall lost to New Hampshire... ugh) ...

Anyhow, I picked up a K-Love station in the 94's... I want to say it was 94.1... I didn't get the call letters. Anyone have any idea what the heck that was about?

It caught me off guard a bit. Strong signal. I listened for a full song, and it sounded fine. Then flipped... wondering if a new station all of a sudden opened... or I had some bounced signal coming in?
W284BL - Huntington - *AHEM* 10 Watts.
(It's funny that they refer to their own satellator in a recent amendment as W284 BS. Calling Doctor Freud.)
lastone

Post by lastone »

A couple of long, long ago stories.....

In the spring of 1979 my 50 KW Coal Country suddenly went away (as reported by the listeners) and was replaced by WPKE, Pikeville. I thought I went off oir. Checking with a radio, I found PKE covered the entire FM band with only a few nulls. Thinking I had the problem, I shut down XCC. The situation stayed the same. I called the engineer at PKE who then flipped his radio dial while I was listening and heard the normal stations. We were both baffeled.

I had just turned XCC back on when a severe thunderstorm warning came in. The storm was 30 miles west of Pikeville and moving east. PKE covered the band in Williamson for nearly 20 minutes. As soon as the storm started the band cleared and all was normal. Never heard of such a thing again.

One more.

In 1964 after watching "Chiller" on 13, I switched over to CH 3. There was a movie on interesting enough for this then 14 year old to watch. The first thing I noticed was commercials for stores I never heard of. Then in about a half hour the station ID said Houston , Texas. Even then I knew this was skip so I watched to see how long it would last. I watched the entire movie and their sign off (about another 60 minutes) all the way to the xmtr dump! The signal only got bad three times and then only for a few seconds. Again I have not heard of this long of a video skip since!
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Picture it: Glasgow, Scotland, Christmas eve 2006. I was picking up all sorts of Irish radio stations in the car at around 10 o'clock at night. It was bitterly cold, but clear. They were coming in strong enough to trip the RDS. And this was in the middle of downtown Glasgow inside blocks of tall buildings where even the locals sometimes have reception issues!

Like a good little geek, I took pictures.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Chris Lawrence

Post by Chris Lawrence »

So this one day, I was listening to my Merle Haggard tapes on the 8-track and swilling moonshine when voices started popping into my head that told me I had the capacity to figure out the Theory of Relativity....

uh--never mind.
"If you're too busy to go fishing....you're too busy, rightO..." Lew Childre
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Chris Lawrence wrote:So this one day, I was listening to my Merle Haggard tapes on the 8-track and swilling moonshine when voices started popping into my head that told me I had the capacity to figure out the Theory of Relativity....

uh--never mind.
so you went and woke your sister up didn't ya?