Project 100 Radio

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Hoosier Daddy

Project 100 Radio

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Jockeying for airtime
Ohio University graduates visit 100 morning shows in 100 days, hoping to land jobs on the radio

MATT GALLAGHER
Messenger staff writer

With dreams of making it big in the world of morning radio, two disc jockeys decided to find out what goes on behind the scenes at radio programs across the country. Will Harvey and Mitch Baldwin, formerly DJs at WXTQ in Athens, launched Project Radio 100, visiting 100 morning radio shows in 100 days.

Harvey and Baldwin teamed up together as DJs at WXTQ while earning their degrees at Ohio University. Graduation came, and the two left the area to pursue internships. Then they hit the job market to seek work as morning DJs, sending out demos to every radio station they could name. They always got the same response. Station owners thought they were too young and too inexperienced to run their own morning show.

The two were left with the question: what makes a good morning radio show? They decided to look for the answer behind the scenes and take a tour of America's morning radio. Through Project Radio 100, they made it their mission to visit 100 radio stations in 100 days. They achieved that goal, visiting radio stations in 55 cities, starting in April and finishing last Thursday. They made it on to such prominent shows as the Bob and Tom Show in Indianapolis, the Rick Dees Show in Los Angeles and the Bob and Sheri Show in North Carolina.

Sometimes they made it on the air, but other times they stayed in the background and asked questions. But they always pushed the envelope. They recorded interviews, morning blips and behind-the-scenes banter, documenting every day and putting it online. Their entire trip can be experienced at www.project100radio.com.

At first they found it hard to be taken seriously. One radio station in Columbus kicked them out of their offices. But rather than be intimidated by the know-it-alls in the industry, they figured they had something to learn and stuck to their guns.

"It was pure drive," said Baldwin, back in Athens. "We knew this could open up a lot of doors, a lot of ideas and a lot of experience, so we kept at it."

They made it on a show in Cleveland, which convinced more morning shows to let them on their sets. Baldwin would arrange the booking, scheduling visits a week to a week-and-a-half ahead of time. They were invited into the studios, even invited to sit on the air sometimes. They also learned plenty of behind-the-scenes info and how each show was put together. Their goal was to find out what makes the best morning show, and they got a pretty good idea.

"Interacting with your audience is key," Baldwin said. "The shows that highlight the audience do better and have a lot more fun than the shows that just make fun of themselves. It was a huge learning experience. We got to learn from the people on the inside, the people in this industry who are great."

It wasn't strictly business. The two also visited a winery in Oklahoma, toured a Mexican grocery store and visited the Church of Scientology in Los Angeles. They even took the Scientology test, and failed.

"We decided our personalities were not compatible with Scientology," Baldwin said. "We just weren't a good match."

With the advent of the Internet, local radio is having a tough time in the media industry, Baldwin reported. Ironically, the very youth that kept Baldwin and Harvey off many station's airwaves could be their best asset, Baldwin suggested.

"The radio industry is in serious trouble," Baldwin said. "They are not connecting with young people anymore. People think that radio is dead, but it's really not. It's here to stay and it's alive, as long as you can come up with new ways to enliven it. We can give it a fresh look. We can connect with the younger generation."

The two have gotten a chance to share their ideas by a special invitation to Conclave, a national radio DJ conference held in June in Minneapolis. They will also attend the Morning Show Bootcamp, another DJ conference being held this Thursday in Chicago, and talk about their experience.

Now they've returned home with a head full of ideas. Harvey is in Chicago, while Baldwin is Athens. They are both looking for radio jobs across the country, using their Web site as a career asset.

Although radio is changing, it still has spontaneity, Baldwin said.

"It's one of the last forms of media where you can really express yourself," Baldwin said. "TV can be fun, but I like the improv of radio. You never know what is going to happen."
Source: Athens Messenger

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

There are no jobs... unless you a Dell server or something.
Arp2

Re: Project 100 Radio

Post by Arp2 »

Harvey and Baldwin teamed up...while earning their degrees at Ohio University. Graduation came, and the two...hit the job market to seek work as morning DJs, sending out demos to every radio station they could name. They always got the same response. Station owners thought they were too young and too inexperienced to run their own morning show.
Translation:

Having been declared officially and superiorly edumacated (with each having a piece of paper with flowery calligraphy and a pseudo-leather frame to prove it), Harvey and Baldwin decided to do the logical thing -- dive into the real world and show it how things are really done by applying for the "star" job and starting at the top, of course!

Unfortunately for them, the real world told them the truth that four years of professors didn't or couldn't -- that inexperienced kids really don't know jack and academe just can't seem to keep up with the real world.
The two were left with the question: what makes a good morning radio show? They decided to look for the answer behind the scenes and take a tour of America's morning radio. Through Project Radio 100, they made it their mission to visit 100 radio stations in 100 days.
Translation:

Once considering that the "real world" just might actually be exactly what its name suggests, the two hit the road and wound up learning more in four months for the cost of travel than four years and $40,000 had provided them to that point.

And what was the main thing they learned...?
"Interacting with your audience is key," Baldwin said. "The shows that highlight the audience do better and have a lot more fun than the shows that just make fun of themselves. It was a huge learning experience."
Well, golllllll-ly! Including the audience might be a good idea! Sha-ZAM!

Sarcasm temporarily aside, I find this fascinating -- following years of exposure to professors, textbooks, and edumacation, the idea they had in their brains was that their lives and thoughts and the things they found interesting and entertaining were better and more important than those of and from "the masses"....the truth was something that was "a huge learning experience" they had never come across in four years of "higher learning!"
The two also visited...the Church of Scientology in Los Angeles. They even took the Scientology test, and failed.

"We decided our personalities were not compatible with Scientology," Baldwin said. "We just weren't a good match."
Translation:

"They found out we had no money."

"And that we probably would never be suckered into believing in parasitic space alien cooties."

Source: Athens Messenger
...as if the poor writing and god-awful punctuation or lack thereof weren't dead giveaways.... :lol:

Anyway, congratulations to Will and Mitch...I praise what they've done.

I would, though, suggest that they change the subtitle of their website..."changing America's airwaves" suggests that they still think a bit much of themselves at this point.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Well, said Arp.

And to Punk and Punk, the new hit morning show with a silent "S", I say seven out of ten for what could be, if done right, a reasonable research project, but four thousand out of ten for pointless attention whoring. Run a few baseball games and 7pm-on-a-friday-night-must-carry truck races, pull a few overnight caretaker shifts, spend a year or two working on your demo through weekend shifts... then let's talk about interning on mornings.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

You know...this reminds me,and Arp might remember this, of the WWE series Tough Enuff. Same thing here. The winners were look apon by those who "paid their dues" as outsiders who thought they should be treated as equals. Well...their not. And neither are these two dickweeds. Bust your ass first, make something of yourself, then maybe you'll hit the big time.
genlock

Post by genlock »

But they have degrees from the W T Scripps school of Journalism at Ohio University (founded 1805). And their daddies told them to get an education so they would never have to work for a living. (they would be bosses or supervisors). It cost a lot and they want a return on daddies investment.
genlock

Post by genlock »

What, exactly, are you qualified to do when you graduate from college?
Teach school? I had a few of those first year teachers and they were bad. Serve as a registered nurse or doctor? Keep them away from me. How about design a bridge or tall building? I don't even want to visit that attraction. About the only thing you are qualified to do when graduating college is to teach at that college. That's only because the college won't admit that the degree itself is worthless.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

genlock wrote:What, exactly, are you qualified to do when you graduate from college?
A professional beer drinker?
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

The People's DJ wrote:
genlock wrote:What, exactly, are you qualified to do when you graduate from college?
A professional beer drinker?
DAMN RIGHT! :twisted: And I should know. My liver and I are proud graduates of Ohio University, A Fountain of Knowledge Where Many Come to Drink.

A bit more seriously, the two colleges in Marietta (Washington State and private Marietta College) faced radio reality a few years ago when they restructured their programs more toward multimedia, especially new technologies.

I really do wonder how many recent OU telecom grads are out there royally pissed, totally disheartened, and applying for that open spot at Speedway.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

I heard those two when they dropped in on WJFK's morning show, The Junkies. Harvey and Baldwin were interviewed, then left alone in the studio for a few excruciating minutes.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Dave Loudin wrote:I heard those two when they dropped in on WJFK's morning show, The Junkies. Harvey and Baldwin were interviewed, then left alone in the studio for a few excruciating minutes.
I would've liked to have heard that...

Or, maybe not.

:lol:

As for college degrees being "worthless", even though a degree will never substitute for real world experience, one is still much better off with one than without one, even in the real world.

Simply having that "worthless" piece of paper opens up many more doors that otherwise would never be opened.

With that said, it is unreasonable for someone to believe they can start out at the top and bypass the trenches, in any field. And that's the core issue here. Many new grads feel that sense of entitlement.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

I notice that the Project 100 website does not mention that visit. :lol:
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

What we found, even in Podunk, was when we hired a graduate from a well respected broadcasting school they practically taught this person how to build a computer from the ground up, how to memorize and recite all the presidents of the networks, how to tell us that Paul Harvey likes badmittion and peach cobbler, but they didn't tell the student in question HOW TO COMMUNICATE AND TO RELATE TO LISTENERS. The one we had here was a very nice person, easy to get a long with, but did not know the first thing about the business, 'cause I guess they don't teach that. I learned that nearly 20 years ago while making $3.35 an hour, being taught by guys who MAY have been making $3.50 an hour...and fucking loving every minute of it. Before you sit down in a classroom, Johnny and Jenny DJ, you may ask your instructors, "Where have YOU worked?" If said instructor has never had to put up a tent in the pouring rain, read obituaries, listened to some little old lady on the phone crying because Old Blue ran away....SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Carry on.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

daveinthemorning wrote:What we found, even in Podunk, was when we hired a graduate from a well respected broadcasting school they practically taught this person how to build a computer from the ground up, how to memorize and recite all the presidents of the networks, how to tell us that Paul Harvey likes badmittion and peach cobbler, but they didn't tell the student in question HOW TO COMMUNICATE AND TO RELATE TO LISTENERS. The one we had here was a very nice person, easy to get a long with, but did not know the first thing about the business, 'cause I guess they don't teach that. I learned that nearly 20 years ago while making $3.35 an hour, being taught by guys who MAY have been making $3.50 an hour...and fucking loving every minute of it. Before you sit down in a classroom, Johnny and Jenny DJ, you may ask your instructors, "Where have YOU worked?" If said instructor has never had to put up a tent in the pouring rain, read obituaries, listened to some little old lady on the phone crying because Old Blue ran away....SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Carry on.
you tell em dave...
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I considered "Radio Connection" for a while when I was like 14 and wanted to "break in" to radio. :oops:

Man, am I glad I didn't piss any money away on that racket.
genlock

Post by genlock »

This whole scheme smells like some sort of publicity stunt.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

daveinthemorning wrote:What we found, even in Podunk, was when we hired a graduate from a well respected broadcasting school they practically taught this person how to build a computer from the ground up, how to memorize and recite all the presidents of the networks, how to tell us that Paul Harvey likes badmittion and peach cobbler, but they didn't tell the student in question HOW TO COMMUNICATE AND TO RELATE TO LISTENERS. The one we had here was a very nice person, easy to get a long with, but did not know the first thing about the business, 'cause I guess they don't teach that. I learned that nearly 20 years ago while making $3.35 an hour, being taught by guys who MAY have been making $3.50 an hour...and fucking loving every minute of it. Before you sit down in a classroom, Johnny and Jenny DJ, you may ask your instructors, "Where have YOU worked?" If said instructor has never had to put up a tent in the pouring rain, read obituaries, listened to some little old lady on the phone crying because Old Blue ran away....SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Carry on.

I thought I payed good money not to have you tell my life story, Dave.

DAMMIT
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Uncle Shishkabob

Post by Uncle Shishkabob »

Hoosier

And to think all I had to do to get my first gig was to be a participant in "There Buddy" and voila... I'm in...there buddy!
...and in Washington 2 peopls and in Newark a windmill and an armadillo!
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

In the defense of the psudo-worthless degree I had sitting above me in my office, college is a great place to do as Jay tells me constantly to do: get out and learn about life...read, learn about people...everything but radio. That's what an internship is all about. I had quite a few when I was at MU...that's what has made my career...getting out and sharpening my trade in the market. Splice editing, as taught in the classroom setting, however, is quite worthless.

Not quite...it is...but having a sandbox in which to play, and some worthless programmer that got me hooked on Marlboro Lights to bounce stuff off of, and to aircheck me was well worth it. Should I be in debt now for that pleasure? Well, I would rather be in debt to the tool that taught me radio professionally, rather than the tool that taught me how to cut tape.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Carry on.
I know a couple of Ohio University Southern professors who could learn a thing or three from that...
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit