Project 100 Radio

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

<----- For the record, never said a degree is worthless; I'm for all learning anything and everything as long as what's learned is true.
<----- For the record, never read an obituary.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
retroraider

Post by retroraider »

This thread has brought me out of lurkdom. This is going to be a lengthy post I think, and for that I apologize.

As you can see, I can count the number of posts I have had on this board on one hand. You can also see that I joined three years ago. You might ask why someone who has been following this board for that many years would not post so much. The philosophy I have always followed in regards to this board is "shut up and read; read and learn." It's because so many of you actually work in this industry that I feel like I can learn a lot from just observing.

I went back to school. Nunley told me to. Actually, I talked to him at a remote he was doing at Hooters a couple of years ago. I had been waiting tables for about 15 years, and was tired of being treated like crap. I also have always loved radio. I mean loved radio, ever since I was a little kid. I had a little experience,(very little, I won't bore you with details) but not nearly enough to even have an inkling about the business. He suggested that I first get a degree.

For all he knew, I could have been just some random fanboy out for a free t-shirt, but I took his advice to heart. I enrolled at Ohio University Southern, and worked hard to not only earn a diploma, but to learn all I could about radio. In fact, I tried to get involved all I could in college on several fronts, trying to take it all in. I had been away for a long time, and it was and continues to be a great experience.

I did learn a lot that I didn't know before. I have my professors there to thank for that. Now, did they make me into some superstar DJ by their influence? Of course not. In fact, I still don't know half of what I would learn by real world experience. I'm not naive enough to think otherwise. I do think, however, that the comment about the professors there is undeserved. They are hard working and they care a lot about what they do. They are obviously not perfect, but then again, I don't think that it would be possible to teach a student everything they need to know about radio in two short years in a classroom / studio environment.

The point is, I still love radio. I'm returning to school, however, in a month in pursuit of a bachelors in communications. I will be happy to pass along your comments, Lee, if you like. If there is something you feel they are lacking, I'm sure they would welcome the criticism.

Again, sorry for the long post, but OUS has been good to me, and I couldn't let a comment like that go without responding. I haven't learned all I need to know, but I sure as hell learned more than I would have continuing to wait tables.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Keep in mind, like Arp, I don't think going to college is worthless. If nothing else college teaches you how to think and, especially at larger campuses, you will see and read a whole lot that you probaly would never have had the opportunity to experience otherwise. I don't regret at all going to college, but as far as radio goes I use approxiamately 10% if even that of the stuff I learned there.

BTW Arp, I highly suggest you read an obit on the air sometime at a small town station. There is nothing like trying to sound somber while reading, "George "Polecat" Smith of Gilbert died......
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

Hey A for effort for those guys...I would have never had the guts to
do that...it took alot of work...and the website isn't too shabby looking either for a couple of college dudes...

I was thinking that the project would make a great Master's thesis if they ever wanted to furthur their education....
Lee

Post by Lee »

retroraider wrote:This thread has brought me out of lurkdom. This is going to be a lengthy post I think, and for that I apologize.

As you can see, I can count the number of posts I have had on this board on one hand. You can also see that I joined three years ago. You might ask why someone who has been following this board for that many years would not post so much. The philosophy I have always followed in regards to this board is "shut up and read; read and learn." It's because so many of you actually work in this industry that I feel like I can learn a lot from just observing.

I went back to school. Nunley told me to. Actually, I talked to him at a remote he was doing at Hooters a couple of years ago. I had been waiting tables for about 15 years, and was tired of being treated like crap. I also have always loved radio. I mean loved radio, ever since I was a little kid. I had a little experience,(very little, I won't bore you with details) but not nearly enough to even have an inkling about the business. He suggested that I first get a degree.

For all he knew, I could have been just some random fanboy out for a free t-shirt, but I took his advice to heart. I enrolled at Ohio University Southern, and worked hard to not only earn a diploma, but to learn all I could about radio. In fact, I tried to get involved all I could in college on several fronts, trying to take it all in. I had been away for a long time, and it was and continues to be a great experience.

I did learn a lot that I didn't know before. I have my professors there to thank for that. Now, did they make me into some superstar DJ by their influence? Of course not. In fact, I still don't know half of what I would learn by real world experience. I'm not naive enough to think otherwise. I do think, however, that the comment about the professors there is undeserved. They are hard working and they care a lot about what they do. They are obviously not perfect, but then again, I don't think that it would be possible to teach a student everything they need to know about radio in two short years in a classroom / studio environment.

The point is, I still love radio. I'm returning to school, however, in a month in pursuit of a bachelors in communications. I will be happy to pass along your comments, Lee, if you like. If there is something you feel they are lacking, I'm sure they would welcome the criticism.

Again, sorry for the long post, but OUS has been good to me, and I couldn't let a comment like that go without responding. I haven't learned all I need to know, but I sure as hell learned more than I would have continuing to wait tables.
Simmah down there, sport.

I wasn't downing them or anyone else.

However, for those interested in radio, maybe they could have someone like a Jay Nunley, a Dave, or a Hallburn to come and talk about "real life" radio. Like babysitting a voicetrack from 6am-10am on a Saturday or running a baseball game for 6 hours...then MAYBE they'll let you talk for a few minutes at 3am on a Sunday.

Again, no criticism of anyone. It's just the way it is when someone first starts out in radio, unless you have what Nunley always called, "it."

A good example of doing all the above and going somewhere with it is Dave Roberts, who's a OUSC Electronic Media alum.
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

daveinthemorning wrote:BTW Arp, I highly suggest you read an obit on the air sometime at a small town station. There is nothing like trying to sound somber while reading, "George "Polecat" Smith of Gilbert died......
What's your frequency, and what time do you do them? If I'm ever in the area about that time, I'll stop in.

(Don't worry....the odds are like 1-2%, but it's a fun idea, isn't it? :D )

Lee wrote:However, for those interested in radio, maybe they could have someone like a Jay Nunley, a Dave, or a Hallburn to come and talk about "real life" radio. Like babysitting a voicetrack from 6am-10am on a Saturday or running a baseball game for 6 hours...then MAYBE they'll let you talk for a few minutes at 3am on a Sunday.

Again, no criticism of anyone. It's just the way it is when someone first starts out in radio, unless you have what Nunley always called, "it."
...and "it" is "raw talent," and "it" makes unnecessary a lot of that dues-paying.

...and a close "it" is "raw brainpower." If you have someone who just is smart, that someone is going to come along a whole lot faster.

Still, though, 3am on a Sunday isn't a bad idea....I've been guilty of overestimating ability a number of times, and I would have been smarter doing a "test" at a much "safer" time....

genlock

Post by genlock »

I'll miss "Polecat".
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

...diode, cathode
electrode, overload,
generator, oscillator,
make a circuit with me!

Oh, you said Polecat, not The Polecats. Sorry.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

I must say I LOVE the idea of what those 2 kids did. Whether they have any talent or not, who knows. But balls will get you hired at a lot of places.

My college story, just cause you know I love to talk about myself. Went to Carolina to major in Radio,TV Motion Pictures. Honest, that was the name of the major then. I'd been doing radio basically since age 6, when I did my first commercial. My dad was in radio and I literally grew up running around studios. Had been on the air as a jock since 16. After two years of college (pretty sure it was 2, things were fuzzy after after all the beer and bong hits), I was terribly bored by listening to people talk about stuff I'd already done. Had a long talk with my adviser who said change majors or drop out. So it was out the door to be a rock star. Nother long story.

The best part of my college experience as far as my career were the writing, English, and literature courses.

And that's what I tell students whenever I speak to them. Take all the writing you can. Talk all the lit, English and speech you can. You can teach a monkey to do the technical part of our jobs (Me and Animal are proof). But in the end, what we do is monkey with the language. The more we know about it and how to use it, and abuse it, the better we'll be in relating to the listener.

Oh yeah, I got an A in calculus.
genlock

Post by genlock »

In dentistry, calculus or tartar refers to calcified deposits on the teeth, formed by the presence of saliva, debris, minerals and dental plaque. Its rough surface provides an ideal medium for further plaque formation, threatening the health of the gums and it absorbs unaesthetic stains far more easily than natural teeth.

Calculus accumulates in the absence of proper oral care. Once formed, it should be removed by professional cleaning by a dentist or dental hygienist (see tooth scaling).
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

For the record...

I think I remember retroraider and I did advise going to school and working at the college radio station. I also made sure to advise not getting a broadcasting or journalism degree.

Working college radio has value. You learn basic equipment operation, procedures, and etc. The real value is air time. That is what gets missed so often by broadcasting majors who talk to me about a job or how to get one. 99% of them have spent only a few hours on the air (only doing what is a required practicum). Students should grab ever minute of air time they can get. That's the only thing you're really going to learn from.

I wouldn't suggest anyone get a degree in broadcasting. Get a useful and meaningful degree and get on the air as much as they will let you.

Even if you do that, you still won't really learn what radio is until you get inside one and start paying the dues and putting in the time.
retroraider

Post by retroraider »

Jay is correct. He did advise me to major in something other than broadcast, and now that I remember that discussion a little more clearly, I apologize for the omission.

I guess it's safe to say I followed only part of his advice.

Regardless, I'm better for it. The discussion gave me a much needed kick in the pants in pursuing something more meaningful, and for that I have to give him a well deserved thanks.

You never know who you might influence, I suppose.
genlock

Post by genlock »

You waited tables at Hooters for 15 years?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Frequency is 101.9 FM, however I'm only lucky enough to do the stiff report on Saturdays. Our Gospel guy does it M-Fri. Its one of the most popular things we do, mainly because we do them at 10:55 am and the local paper doesn't come out till around 2pm, so we know who croaked before anyone else does.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

YO Gen,

My teeth are pure and white....and I can calculate the area of an irregular shape.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Bob Campbell wrote:....and I can calculate the area of an irregular shape.
Still???

I did well, too, but I've not only forgotten it, I've forgotten what it was for.

Makes me embarassed....makes me want to get textbooks back out.....

Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Also for the record...

If I have been a positive influence for anyone I'm very happy about that. Most people will tell you I'm either a bad influence or I'm no influence at all. I think it's flipping the bird and the motherfucking foul language I use that get the most focus.

Death to Analmal!
Lee

Post by Lee »

You've influenced me in the sense that you know nothing about good football teams.

:D
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Like Ohio State? Something happened to them recently. I can't seem to remember exactly... it was in the last game they played... Oh yeah! They lost.

I realize your next move is to make fun of Marshall. That's fine. It's going to be another tough year for them. My love for The Herd has nothing to do with wins and losses. It's not something a frontrunner can understand.

If you want to discuss professional football it doesn't look too good for Tampa either. They've still won one more Super Bowls than your Shitshitnati Bengals wil ever win.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Jay Nunley wrote:Blah blah blah Ohio State lost blah blah blah blah Marshall blah blah blah Bengals will never win a Super Bowl blah blah blah
It has nothing to do with being a frontrunner...it has everything to do with being a FAN. OSU is ranked #10 in the Coaches Poll...WVU #5. Dude if I was a frontrunner I'd be a Colts fan or something...

Once the Suckaneers start losing like they did back in the day, you'll jump on the Cardinals bandwagon and start saying, "They'll win a Super Bowl before the Bengals!"

But yeah, Marshall playing The U first game....not looking too good.