Chas Numbers

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Chas Numbers

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Since nobody posted 'em:

WQBE-FM-- 20.5 // 20.2 // 18.1
WVAF-FM-- 11.3 // 11.7 // 11.1
WVSR-FM-- 6.7 // 5.0 // 9.1
WKWS-FM-- 7.1 // 10.3 // 7.7
WCHS-AM-- 5.3 // 9.2 // 6.4
WKLC-FM-- 5.3 // 6.7 // 6.4
WKAZ-FM-- 3.2 // 1.8 // 5.7
WRVZ-FM-- 6.7 // 4.6 // 4.4
WZJO-FM-- 3.5 // 2.5 // 4.4
WMXE-FM-- 4.2 // 2.5 // 3.4
WKAZ-AM-- 1.1 // 1.1 // 2.0
WVTS-AM-- 2.8 // 2.5 // 1.3
WEMM-FM-- 1.1 // 1.8 // 1.0

There's some life in 102 after all.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Nice to see KAZ return from the dead ...

:wink:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

So... Did Animal and Shockley's firing have anything to do with their substantial book improvement? Gentlemen, you are getting too good. It is time to go.

Are they going to bring back the redneck crew to do mornings?

What in sam hell is going on over at Bristol? They have their untouchable. Then they have WVSR and WZJO which improved. Dramatically. WZJO will never see another book like that. Bristol will see to it.
:x

There's WEMM. I see it now. They must have relocated to Charleston! :lol:
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Did WCAW ever officially change their call letters to WKAZ-AM or are they just referring to themselves as that?
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
S T E V E A N I M A L

Post by S T E V E A N I M A L »

Well,

Does anyone have a breakdown of the numbers on WZJO? I'd like to see what 6-10a did and my VT'd 3-7p.

May be now I'll get my going away party that never materialized! :D
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Calm down Steven, you know you'll never top your glory days overnight at 102. Or was it weekends? Or did you just drop in occasionally?
S T E V E A N I M A L

Post by S T E V E A N I M A L »

Robert, nothing warmed my heart back in those days, like the re-labeling of carts and the smell of windex... ahhh!!! Remember my 6 hour segue with no talking? Nothing like the weather bed rolling without all that annoying chatter about temperature and crap!!
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Is there really any point to keeping MIX around any longer?

I still wonder how FM hot talk or smooth jazz would do in C-town...
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

K-Rock wrote:I still wonder how FM hot talk or smooth jazz would do in C-town...
I listen to smooth jazz 105.9 WJZW-FM whenever I am in the Washington DC area visiting relatives. Got that programmed into one of the presets. That would be nice to listen to down here.

What is funny is that WSWW (sportstalk) is still listed on the Music Of Your Life website (Frank, Dean, Sammy, Ella, Tony, etc.) even though they haven't carried it for about two years. I can listen to it on the web but not in the car, unless I am passing through Clarksburg on I-79.
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

K-Rock wrote:Is there really any point to keeping MIX around any longer?
Yes... ME!
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

There are plenty of markets where having a 3.4 would put you near the top.

And isn't this an A? An old-fashioned, 3000-watts-at-300-feet A in a market full of mountains?
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
ashton

Post by ashton »

Congrats to Electric's staff for the jump. Keep it up.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

K-Rock wrote:Is there really any point to keeping MIX around any longer?
Yes. You guys always forget 12+ persons doesn't tell the whole tale when it comes to ratings.
I still wonder how FM hot talk or smooth jazz would do in C-town...
Both would fail miserably. There are only twelve people in the whole state who like smooth jazz (as opposed to real jazz) and all the talk shows that can grab ratings and aren't too controversial and edgy to work are already on in the market.
There are plenty of markets where having a 3.4 would put you near the top.

And isn't this an A? An old-fashioned, 3000-watts-at-300-feet A in a market full of mountains?
Yes.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Perhaps I should clarify my question... It didn't come across like I intended.

It wasn't a slam on MIX or anyone who works there... I never really listened to the station. It just looks like V-100 is completely running away with the AC market share. But then again, I know that 12+ numbers are worthless, as key demo numbers are what sells. I was just trying to get the conversation rolling about what other possible formats would do good that's not currently in the market.

Another format that came to mind after my first post was contemporary Christian music. Straight music with no preaching or anything, and billed as family friendly might do well.

I also know that hot talk and SJ are long shots, as the market isn't really big enough to support the more narrowly targeted formats. Although talk and SJ do target very affluent people with lots of money.

But before Z-Rock, many thought that alternative was a long shot, too. Now look at them...

As for Z-Rock, even though I love alternative, I am honestly surprised that the station has lasted this long. I've almost never heard any commercials any time I've tuned in... How are they paying the bills? Is the format still a hard sell locally?

Jay, I do tune in to Rock 105 pretty frequently as well, but I honestly don't stay tuned in for extended periods of time because I'm really burned out on most of the older, pre-1980 staple tunes. But overall, I do notice a huge improvement since you took over. The "Everything that rocks" moniker is awesome.

Nothing else really surprises me, ratings-wise... KAZ had nowhere to go but up.

I'm done.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

I'll be the first to admit I dont totally understand this market but I saw alot of potential when zrock first switched to the alternative... then roughly as memory serves around 8 months later came all the emo music.... :cry: :lol:
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

i haven't been able to listen to either rock 105 or z rock, but it wounds as though the "fringes" are covered. who's offering the straight ahead in your face, rebellious rock n roll that made the format flourish every time it's had it's hay-day since the 50's? 50's elvis, 60's beatles, 70's arena rock, 80's hair n metal, 90's grunge...

i may need to string some chicken wire between me and the board for what's to follow but here goes anyway.

80's hair and metal are the "new" classic rock. zep, floyd, segar, the who, skynyrd, steve miller, et al are for the most part classic hits now. "some" of the 80's mtv stuff: idol, dire straits, loverboy, some van halen/hagar (sorry mike wherever you are) are old pop now...

i've been saying this for a couple years now, rock needs it's faces and attitudes to flourish, we're getting those back slowly. i went and saw linkin park the other night (borrowing from jay) FUCKIN A!!! rock has a chance to come back around this decade too, but like previous decades it needs to be embraced by radio to do it.

i will say this emo crap is not it, my chemical romance was one of the openers for LP the other night, i was really diggin their show til the lead singer went into a dialogue before the 3rd to last song. and i quote: "i've sucked more dick than any of you BOYS out there, where are my BOYS at, stand up BOYS, take your shirts off BOYS, throw them up here"

pole smokers (lemme just say there's plenty wrong with that) don't make rebellious rockers (that appeal to men anyway, BOYS maybe) f'n girl pant wearin' twinks

[/semi-rant] sorry
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
soccerguy

Post by soccerguy »

Well....if someone gave me a station to program, I would own Charleston. I'd just play local....oh crap!

Sorry...this thread has already been done! By bad!
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

If smoking poles is good enough for David Lee Roth, it ought to be good enough for you Tyler.
I always thought Z-rock was there as a loss leader for QBE just to make sure 105 didn't get up to the 9 or so share level where it should be. Not sure they care if there are any spots on it or not. It would be interesting if they went Active and brought in a morning show younger than 60.
Is Mix still Jack or are they back to HOT AC?

I think it's only eleven jazz fans in WV Nunley. The other one moved to Charlotte.
bkradio

Post by bkradio »

Bob, MIX never was a true Jack station nor was it even close to an alternative AC when I put that format on. But when I was in town last week it appears to have way to much AC product on it and has lost its focus.

And Bob, you are right about Z-Rocks purpose. KLC is what it is and needs MIX to perform well to do its job. Jay has done a great job with KLC but without a facelift and marketing dollars, it will just linger like it has. Maybe an occasional spike and an Arbitron Oops! Like last Spring 06.
It's sad really. The guys at KLC live and breath the format and sometimes get a little to close to the music but they do a great job but they just lack the support. Yes they have a new GM onboard again..maybe he can make things happen!
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

As for Z-Rock, even though I love alternative, I am honestly surprised that the station has lasted this long. I've almost never heard any commercials any time I've tuned in... How are they paying the bills? Is the format still a hard sell locally?
Z Rock has no commercials because they WON'T sell it. The few sales slugs that tried to sell it had no problem. They sell it in Bristol/Johnson City, and there's another alternative to compete with in that market. The bills in Charleston are paid by QBE and VSR.
80's hair and metal are the "new" classic rock. zep, floyd, segar, the who, skynyrd, steve miller, et al are for the most part classic hits now.
Damn right Zak.
And Bob, you are right about Z-Rocks purpose.
Not even close. No one at BBC was ever concerned about WKLC getting huge numbers. WKLC is a great station, but not enough of a threat to call for defensive programming tactics from the company as a whole. When Z Rock launched, KLC wasn't exactly the best sounding rock station in the world anyway. Now Jay is running the show, and BBC may have some competition, at least I hope so.