'Cousin Brucie' Re-Signs With Sirius

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Sep 26, 9:53 PM (ET)
By STEPHEN BERNARD

NEW YORK (AP) - Sirius Satellite Radio said Wednesday it re-signed legendary classic rock DJ Bruce Morrow, known on-air as "Cousin Brucie," to an exclusive multiyear deal. The move came as something of a surprise, given wide speculation that Morrow would return to his traditional radio roots in New York once his contract with Sirius expired.

The loquacious Morrow, who calls himself Cousin Brucie and regularly refers to his listeners as "cousins," will continue hosting two shows playing music from the 1950s and 1960s for Sirius, "Cousin Brucie's Saturday Night Party" and "Rockin' with the Cuz."

Full story at Iwon/AP News.
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... rius_.html
Radio Dial: Brucie sez 'CBS-FM isn't Sirius about the oldies

By DAVID HINCKLEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 4:00 AM

Cousin Bruce Morrow says he talked with the reborn WCBS-FM (101.1) about going back there before he decided to sign a new multiyear contract to remain on Sirius Satellite Radio.

WCBS-FM wasn't planning to play enough '50s and '60s music, Morrow said yesterday.

"I'm very concerned that radio isn't doing enough to keep this early music alive," he said. "There are so many people in their 40s, 50s and 60s who still love it, and I don't think they should be written off."

Morrow blasted the station in 2005 for switching its long-running "oldies" format to "Jack," although now he says that even the 2005 'CBS-FM version of "oldies" had eliminated too much of the early music.

"That was a mistake," he says, "and they're making the same mistake now."

Morrow added that "they have every right to program what they want - and I have nothing against '80s music. But there's a real need for earlier music, too."

Sirius, he said, recognizes that.

"When I first talked to people here, like [CEO] Mel [Karmazin], they gave me a commitment and they've kept it. In almost two and a half years here, I've never felt like I had more freedom on the radio."

If Sirius is allowed to merge with its rival XM, a decision that is expected by the end of the year, Morrow and a Sirius spokesman both said '50s and '60s music will continue - though there has been some concern among fans that where the two services obviously have their own '50s and '60s channels now, the merged entity would eventually only keep one of each.

In any case, Morrow will keep doing shows Wednesday and Saturday nights, plus special events.