What's going on with the Bray stations???

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Clay JD Walker

What's going on with the Bray stations???

Post by Clay JD Walker »

I hate to be this way, but watch these videos, and you tell me...did they hire Halburn or what??

http://www.modavox.com/boombox/PlayerSe ... 52855_wtrf

http://www.modavox.com/boombox/PlayerSe ... 52975_wboy

This is sad...
Arp2

Re: What's going on with the Bray stations???

Post by Arp2 »

Clay JD Walker wrote:I hate to be this way, but watch these videos, and you tell me...did they hire Halburn or what??

Was it the length? The sucking-up? The overuse of glowing, emotional adjectives in what is supposed to be a news report? The failure to pass the "Yeah...So?" test when it was done?
What an unbelievable mess!

Was the talent pretty much saying he doesn't want to do this crap anymore?!? Was 4:30 long enough, or could it have used even more time?? Is Kroger a sponsor or something? Won't that kill anyone at-risk within 45 minutes of eating it?? Good Lord!!
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Arp2 wrote:

Good Lord!!
Ditto that. I am a pretty big guy but there's no way I would eat that mess. It looked nasty.

Then again, some of that stuff Paula Dean whips up doesn't look too appetizing either.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Arp2 wrote:
Clay JD Walker wrote:I hate to be this way, but watch these videos, and you tell me...did they hire Halburn or what??

Was it the length? The sucking-up? The overuse of glowing, emotional adjectives in what is supposed to be a news report? The failure to pass the "Yeah...So?" test when it was done?
After watching the camera being held still while that police cruiser accelerated and then shifted into second, no wonder my friends are impressed with my GranMa with 100K on the clock and civilian gears plus crappy torque converter. :twisted: Of course, I ran the piss out of 9 Panthers before I picked the car that performed the best of all that I drove.

Back to the story at hand, I think the station did a good job of covering a typical night as a police officer. Yea, over use of glowing adjectives and cream puff journalism, but what do you expect from a story like that. Cops! Even they have to run with police officers for 2 weeks to get an hours worth of produced footage. Unless it is Philly which they said they will never come back to film.
Arp2 wrote:

Was the talent pretty much saying he doesn't want to do this crap anymore?!? Was 4:30 long enough, or could it have used even more time?? Is Kroger a sponsor or something? Won't that kill anyone at-risk within 45 minutes of eating it?? Good Lord!!
You really should have seen the NBC 10! show on WCAU NBC 10 in Philly prior to the refit it received last summer. The cooking seqments were that piss poor even with lauded Philadelphia chefs who own 5 star and Zagat rated restaurants in town made similar messes on the show. It took a great deal of work, but the show looks much more like Live with Regis & Kelly once a new studio was added to the WCAU facility on City Ave.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Big Media

Post by Big Media »

The People's DJ wrote: *Throws the WTF Flag*
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My night is now complete. LMAO!
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

I have seen everything.

Scotty, Beam me up!

:P
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
genlock

Post by genlock »

How much money could Bray save/make by consolidating everything in Charleston and keeping only a minimum news and sales staff at the outlying stations?
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

genlock wrote:How much money could Bray save/make by consolidating everything in Charleston and keeping only a minimum news and sales staff at the outlying stations?
I have made my money for the last 7 years consolidating operations and reducing headcount at outlying locations. With the combination of the proper automation system, Bray could put on news cast at 6 for several markets all from one location for much less money. how much less versus the amount of capital investment in equipment would be the key as to whether it would be worth the money saved.
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

"Tracy was not able to join us because she is getting triple by-pass surgery."
Mr. Tom Jones

Post by Mr. Tom Jones »

cgarison wrote:With the combination of the proper automation system, Bray could put on news cast at 6 for several markets all from one location for much less money.
Chairman Bray could do that indeed.

However, he would not have many viewers watching his stations afterward. WVMH's weekend news experiments proved it.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Well, what they are doing now is not working.
Blow it up and consolidate everything.
Radio Land

Post by Radio Land »

News dept. spending is only the beginning.

Bray should stop buying programming they cannot afford.

In order to lure Dr. Phil away from WSAZ....he agreed
to pay $25,000 or $17,000 more per week than
WSAZ paid...and now he is trying to buy Wheel/Jeopardy
and Oprah in the Beckley market to air on the satellite station WVNS.