A question for all you sportscasters...

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Lee

A question for all you sportscasters...

Post by Lee »

Do you guys really talk to the athletes and coaches off mic?

Now, before you say, "Lee, that's a really retarded question! Of course we do! We're upstanding in our field and we're the best in what we do, how dare you question us!" Here me out:

It may be different for TV, but as an example, while watching a football game I alway hear something to the effect of, "I talked to Brett Favre earlier today, and HE TOLD ME that the KEY to winning this game is to THROW MORE TOUCHDOWNS!!!!"

Or I might here, "Al, I talked to Tom Brady this week in practice, and HE TOLD ME that sometimes he hands off, sometimes he passes, other times he huddles up his players, and he added he'd do anything TO WIN THIS GAME!!!"

Is it all just BS or random filler?

ATTENTION: THIS WAS LAST EDITED AT 1:15 P. M. ON DECEMBER 6, IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD, 2007. AWARD WINNING AUTHOR, POET, SCREENWRITER, AND DOUCHEBAG ARP HAS CRITIQUED A MISTAKE I MADE. I AM UTTERLY HUMILIATED BY THIS EXPERIENCE AND WILL RECEIVE 20 LASHES FROM THE SUDAN GOVERNMENT THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS. I APOLOGIZE TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN TRAUMATIZED BY THIS ERROR AND I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A HAPPY KWANZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NOW RETURN YOU TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD...
Last edited by Lee on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

"hear"

Sheesh....

I believe homonyms are covered in grades two and three....... :(
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love this board.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

The big network guys usually do have meetings with the coaches, players, etc. the day before the game, though I imagine some of the stories are embellished from time to time.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Twizard

Post by Twizard »

Yes, I personally talk to the coaches. Some of that players and even have soundbites too!
Harry Doyle: One hit. That's all we got, one Goddamn hit?!
Monte: You can't say "Goddamn" on the air.
Harry Doyle: Don't worry. Nobody's listening anyway.
Arp2

Re: A question for all you sportscasters...

Post by Arp2 »

Lee wrote:AWARD WINNING AUTHOR, POET, SCREENWRITER, AND DOUCHEBAG ARP HAS CRITIQUED A MISTAKE I MADE. I AM UTTERLY HUMILIATED BY THIS EXPERIENCE AND WILL RECEIVE 20 LASHES FROM THE SUDAN GOVERNMENT THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS. I APOLOGIZE TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN TRAUMATIZED BY THIS ERROR AND I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A HAPPY KWANZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NOW RETURN YOU TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD...
:lol:

Um,......

.....given that you've already edited it three times, it really does pain me to say this, but.....

It's still there. Well, one of them, at least.

And, uh, "award-winning" and "regularly-scheduled" need to be hyphenated. ("All-Christmas" needs to be hyphenated, too.....you know, keeping some radio in here.) And "Kwanza" is the biggest bunch o' made-up crap ever foisted on America....bunch o' holiday-wrapped Marxist propaganda aimed at a vulnerable people, it is...... :evil:

:lol:
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

Here's what I know...when ESPN does a game their broadcast crew meets with specific team members (i.e. Bernard Morris, Cody Slate) and coaches(Mark Snyder, Steve Dunlap) the night before the game. I remember when we were at Va Tech and the guys were so excited to meet with Erin Andrews.
Now for me....I talk with the guys throughout the week and all the time. But when I use quotes from them like, "earlier this week Coach talked about EJ Wynn and how the sophmore has progressed" and pull a quote from one of coach's teleconferences or something that one of the players has said in an interview with the beat writers.
I'm there on interview day and could do the same thing that the ESPN folks do but thats Monday and games are Saturday so I just pull quotes from the papers.
But I when I do that I never say..."I talked with so & so and he told me.." I say, "So & So said earlier this week".
"The whole thing was just a nightmare," Rodriguez said.

LOL!!
SPIKE NESMITH!

Re: A question for all you sportscasters...

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Arp2 wrote:"Kwanza"
"Kwanzaa"
:wink:
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

:)

I just copied it straight from the earlier....

....but I've never been any good at knowing fictional names....

:twisted:
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Arp and I disagree on a lot, but when it comes to grammar, I worship him like a god.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Bob Campbell wrote:Arp and I disagree on a lot, but when it comes to grammar, I worship him like a god.
Ditto. If the logistics could ever be worked out, we should really consider building a website called arp.com. You could submit your manuscript, have it proofread and graded, and maybe (with the Premium membership package) receive a list of "how to" tips for the next time.

:wink:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

Ace Purple wrote:...embellished...
Like Clyde Ankle did on "High School Oo-Oo"...
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Bob Campbell wrote:Arp and I disagree on a lot, but when it comes to grammar, I worship him like a god.
"Arp and I disagree on a lot, but, when it comes to grammar, I worship him like a god."

:lol: :wink:
Hoosier Daddy wrote:Ditto. If the logistics could ever be worked out, we should really consider building a website called arp.com. You could submit your manuscript, have it proofread and graded,....
What does proofreading pay? Would I have to learn all those marks, or could I just fix things?

If "supply and demand" is at work in the field, I could live and work at the beach and become independently wealthy in no time, at all......

(I think that last comma belonged there.....)

By the way, on the topic, from what I've seen, "outsiders" join and are among the press at the regular times when coaches and players are made available, but the local press friends don't get stopped or thrown out or anything when they just drop in on and hang out at practices through the week....

...well, unless those folks are (or the team, itself, is) being punished or something....
Brian G.

Post by Brian G. »

I haved talked to coaches and players at or after practice in an informal setting and never record anything. If during the game something happens that makes me remember a comment, I'll bring it up. When a recorder is around, they won't always tell you what they really think. Of course, I don't talk about everything I hear!
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

I think the second comma may be questionable. Strictly speaking, it may be correct, but, when attempting to write in a manner resembling actual speech, it may be deemed superflous, except in the case of a run on sentence, if said sentence should run on to an extreme length, or simply refuse to end until beaten into submission.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Bob Campbell wrote:I think the second comma may be questionable. Strictly speaking, it may be correct, but, when attempting to write in a manner resembling actual speech, it may be deemed superflous, except in the case of a run on sentence, if said sentence should run on to an extreme length, or simply refuse to end until beaten into submission.
I know it was just a joke, but that sentence was correct right up until the comma after "speech;" all the commas that follow should not be there. :)
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Someone get me a freaking pencil so I can jam it into my eye. :x
AARON SCOTT

Post by AARON SCOTT »

This is great!!! :lol:
kriss kross will make ya jump, jump