Your Music, Your Q104 - Huntington

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Your Music, Your Q104 - Huntington

Post by Lester »

Arp2 wrote:With one breath, the board's founder (is that the right term?)
That would be Jeff Miller.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Arp2 wrote: Portsmouth is:
--
The home of scads of public row-housing.

A Wal-Mart sitting on top of what should be a SuperFund site and former steel mill.

A downtown that got crucified by the closing of the Grant Bridge for five years because the loons in the ODOT NEVER BUILT A BRIDGE ACROSS THE OHIO RIVER BEFORE!!

The home of a 10%+ unemployment rate and a median income $30,000-less than the Ohio average and crime 3 to 4 times the national average.

If Shawnee State and SOMC went elsewhere, the town would blow-away.

...but that's just what the Chamber of Commerce says in their brochure.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Lester wrote:
Arp2 wrote:With one breath, the board's founder (is that the right term?)
That would be Jeff Miller.
Oh....ooops.

Longtime board readers will, of course, know I was referring to Mike.....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Cameron wrote: The home of scads of public row-housing.

The home of a 10%+ unemployment rate and a median income $30,000-less than the Ohio average and crime 3 to 4 times the national average.

...but that's just what the Chamber of Commerce says in their brochure.
Hey... don't be hatin' on Wheeling like that. :D
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Arp2 wrote:Longtime board readers will, of course, know I was referring to Mike.....
Actually... LONGTIME board readers would know it's Jeff. He passed it to Mike , who abandoned it when the Jedi Council forbid such interactions. :-D
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Lester wrote:
Arp2 wrote:Longtime board readers will, of course, know I was referring to Mike.....
Actually... LONGTIME board readers would know it's Jeff. He passed it to Mike , who abandoned it when the Jedi Council forbid such interactions. :-D
:D

Yes, but my comments about a guy wanting a Hot/Modern AC in Huntington and then admitting potential listeners had generally moved away were about Mike....forget about the "founder" reference..... :)

The Interpreter

Post by The Interpreter »

Pardon me for noticing, but your comments are foundering...
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Arp2 wrote:
However Braden's really havent done much with this 100,000 blow-torch 104.1. The station overall has very bismal ratings,...

I'm guessing you mean "abysmal."
I am a complete dumbass. I was reading "bismal" as "bye small". Now, I get it.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

kentuckymedia wrote:I have been pouring over radio jingles for my own station...
KYM, I've never worked as a programmer - background's in jocking and production, then news - but starting way back in junior high school I'd sit down and lay out my own remarkably brilliant programming ideas for stations and groups. Still do it once in a while. It's fun.

It's also fun to continue to learn from the successful programmers on this board, and I respect them enough to not try to pass off my half-assed untested personal theories as serious suggestions for real world implementation.

In this context and while first reading your Your Music post, my gut reaction to the quote above was, "Yeah, and what station is that?" But I kept it to myself until I just read Arp's lathroscopic evisceration. So tell us about your station.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Don't stain anything while you're "pouring" over jingles. If you intend to "pore" over some jingles you might have better luck.
Just wanted to save Arp the trouble.
God, I hope I spelled "pore" right.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

The Interpreter wrote:Pardon me for noticing, but your comments are foundering...
:D

...well, as long as they're not "floundering." :x

Bob Campbell wrote:Don't stain anything while you're "pouring" over jingles. If you intend to "pore" over some jingles you might have better luck.
Just wanted to save Arp the trouble.
God, I hope I spelled "pore" right.
You did. :D

"Pore" ("poring," as used) has a problem in this context, though.

"Pore" really has the visual component to it...not just connotative, it's actually denotative. It really is a "you're putting stuff into your brain and working it through via looking at it intently and intensely" thing.

That's awful hard to do with jingles. Sure, the demos come with covers, printed brochures, and/or website pages, and I suppose you could stare at the promotional materials for a long time; but, you know, you really should go ahead and listen to at least a few of 'em before deciding....

Dr. Whiplash wrote:...background's in jocking and production, then news - but starting way back in junior high school I'd sit down and lay out my own remarkably brilliant programming ideas for stations and groups. Still do it once in a while. It's fun.
I did that, too, having had my thoughts and pursuits started by a guy whose name most here would almost certainly recognize.

I don't do it much anymore, though...just seems a bit too painful. And I certainly try to avoid doing it in public, especially when talking about a particular station. Now that there are comparatively few places to practice our craft and earn a living doing it, just discussing such ideas increases the level of paranoia, at best. At worst, you're really messin' with people and their careers, lives, families, kids.....I just ain't gon' be doin' it, myself. There's (now more than ever) a big difference between saying, "I think this market could use a ______," and, "I'm recommending WXXX's potential new owner blow it up and blow out all its people."

Big Media

Post by Big Media »

These type of threads seem to be most productive. I always learn something new. Still, a good idea is just that. An idea.

A clue, on the other hand, is a bit harder to come by (so I've learned). :lol:
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Arp2 wrote:Minneapolis/St Paul is:
-- the home of literally millions of people
-- the home of a number of Fortune 500 World Headquarters (3M, Best Buy, and General Mills, off the top of my head)
-- the home of a virtually perfect balance of white-collar, blue-collar, and service jobs (but the white-collar lean makes it very recession-resistant)
-- the home of so many colleges and universities that you'd probably have to take off your shoes and drop your pants to count 'em
-- the home of much academic, scientific, and medical research
-- a multi-state regional hub of medicine
-- a multi-state regional and international hub of transportation (passenger air, freight air, rail, trucking, highway, river....you name it)
-- a multi-state regional hub of retail (including the top-tier, luxury retailers)
-- a multi-state regional hub of finance, banking, and insurance
-- a multi-state regional hub of entertainment, recreation, and tourism
-- a multi-state regional hub of the arts
-- a multi-state regional hub of media and publishing
-- the home of a number of the finest analysts and money managers
-- the home of teams representing every professional sport
-- the home of an almost racially-homogenous population that has a pretty good amount of money

Minneapolis would be a place I would love to live, if only it wasn't so darn cold six months out of the year...

I always chuckle at "Vertical Horizon"....it's rare such a supposedly representative artist is pretty much a one-hit wonder.
Assuming you're talking about "Everything You Want" (great song, btw), "You're a God" was a decent hit, but not nearly as big... "We Are" was a minor hit on alternative radio.

"Best I've Ever Had" was pretty big, too.

Just thought I would once again take advantage of a meandering thread...

:lol:
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

And on "Hit Me One More Time", Glass Tiger sang "Everything You Want" better than VerHo does.
kentuckymedia

Post by kentuckymedia »

To everyone who thinks im smoking cigars out my ass...

IT WAS JUST AN IDEA!

Fact : WPAY is a serious mess. The stations ratings are terrible, and yes..even in Scioto County. The station is #5 in its own county! On a 100,000 watt stick to mind you.

Fact: WKKJ beats the radio station in Pike County

Fact: WTCR and WDGG beat the radio station in both Lewis and Greenup counties

Fact: The damn thing is 100,000 watts. It doesnt matter where the damn translator is, it covers 100% of the entire metro crystal clear!

Fact: The station is billing crap. Last fiscal report shows the station made only 1% of the entire markets revenue. Yikes! If a station isnt in the 3-10% range, its a disaster.

Fact: A research study completed by Coleman in 2005 shows the need for 4 formats in the market (Adult Contemporary, Classic Rock, Hot Adult Contemporary, Adult Hits)

Im just saying here... So please to those who discredit my information and think I am just blowing smoke out my ass, look at the facts!

Oh, and sitting back and analyzing a station to find ways to make it better is something I do for a living. Its my job...Im a radio research director!
genlock

Post by genlock »

No need for country in Portsmouth market?
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

kentuckymedia wrote:Fact: A research study completed by Coleman in 2005 shows the need for 4 formats in the market (Adult Contemporary, Classic Rock, Hot Adult Contemporary, Adult Hits)
The Portsmouth market?

107.5 WZZZ is Classic Rock
99.3 WNXT-FM covers AC-Hot AC-Adult Hits

Both stations project city grade signals into downtown Portsmouth and all over Scioto County.
Both stations have Portsmouth as their city of license.

I enjoy your musings, but I'm just sayin' ...

:?
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
kentuckymedia

Post by kentuckymedia »

WOW!

A) Portsmouth is NOT a market

B) WTCR and WDGG beat WPAY in Scioto County

C) Coleman is way to expensive for Hometown to bring in and play radio research for Portsmouth

D) The money isnt in Portsmouth, its in the Huntington Market (Ashland, Huntington, Ironton)

I could go on and on. I was refering to the HUNTINGTON market!
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

kentuckymedia wrote:WOW!

A) Portsmouth is NOT a market
I'm just asking. Your original post doesn't make it clear.

Huntington needs a Classic Rocker?

Uh ... <cough> ... 101.5 The River

An AC station?

Uh ... <cough> ... 97.9

Did this research company actually survey Huntington WEST VIRGINIA?

:? :roll: :lol:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

kentuckymedia wrote: Oh, and sitting back and analyzing a station to find ways to make it better is something I do for a living. Its my job...Im a radio research director!

------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear