Attention PDs and MDs..

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

genlock

Post by genlock »

A 10 hour rotation won't play the same song at the same hour for quite a number of days. Perhaps a 9 hour and 23 minute rotation would be better as the same song won't be played at the same minute ofr a long long time.
What do you think, Jay?
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Well, if it's any consolation, I've thought the same thing about classic rock.

However, I'm still focused on the new stuff. I get burned pretty fast on anything pre-1996 or so. Not that I don't like the classics, but they just don't excite me like hearing a hot new record.

I guess that's why I like alternative and CHR, because they're current-focused, with the classics thrown in for flavor. Not the other way around.

I listen to music like a CHR is programmed. I have this whole rotation thing going on in my head. Needless to say, managing my Zune has been a chore.

:lol:
genlock

Post by genlock »

Well, I am probably the more typical subject for a study as I don't listen to radio at all. I am one of the listeners that got burned out on all of it.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Jay Nunley wrote:We'll completely ignore listeners when they tell us repeatedly and constantly they want the same old farts day in and day out...
You can't talk about Neil Young like that!

WNCX Cleveland used to play deeper cuts. God I loved that - Cleveland's REAL real rock station - but their ratings dropped so they tightened their playlist and moved up. Fucking listeners.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I would obviously fail as a radio programmer. Especially if I had to program rock. The line of what constitutes rock has blured these days to include everything from the Beatles (who suck) to Britney Spears (who sucks in a slightly different manner). Still, here is my great wisdom put forth to help Jay program his rock station. :lol:
Jay Nunley wrote:So, let me see if I have this straight.

#2. I should stop playing Nickelback's "Rockstar" because you don't like it. My target audience's desires should have no impact on what I play or do not play.
Yes.

You have been lied to by your target audience. No one likes that damn song.
Jay Nunley wrote:#3. There is some magic cut off number for songs. Even if a song retains immense popularity over 20, 30, or 40 years I should stop playing after a specific number of plays. Please inform me of the specific numbers of plays.
First, There is a magic cut off number for songs. However, this varies from artist to artist, song to song, and genre to genre. For Rock Star, it was 1. The song should have never made it to air because it is that bad.

Second, no song retains immense popularity over 20, 30, or 40 years. It may remain popular with a very finite population---think Christians and their lousy hymns they have been singing for 2,008 years. However, for the most part, once a song reaches 20 or 25 years of age, pull it and never play it again. Your audience will thank you for it and your numbers will increase (on the margin).
Jay Nunley wrote:#4 I may not have to drop immensely popular songs, but only play them a certain number of times per year. What is that number per year ...
Nope. Just pull it. No one will even notice because they will be tuning in regularly to hear newer music that they can relate to instead of You Shook Me All Night Long for the 10,000th time.

:wink:
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I must admit, most ETR stations pull classics from a list of songs I've been tired of for 15+ years.

Just sayin'.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Gee, and I thought Rock Star was funny as hell. Sorry, I like it.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Bob Campbell wrote:Gee, and I thought Rock Star was funny as hell. Sorry, I like it.
No. You are lying to yourself to protect Jay and all the other PDs and MDs who refuse to let this one go. I understand. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Now, put down the New Kids On the Block CD and get back to work. :wink: :lol:
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Kitesgot wrote:there's a certain arrogance that comes with the reply.
Sorry about that. Coming off as arrogant was never my intention.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

i dunno, seems like ALL the local rock stations have been restarting the same playlist at a different hour daily to make it look like they're tryin to mix it uup anymore, but seem like every time i throw on anything related to rock i'm almost hearing the same songs in teh same order as i heard the day before at a different time.... my mp3 players been gettin a workout in the car last few weeks because of it...
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Do you really think the purveyors of classic rock/etr/whatever never ask themselves when a song, artist, or entire genre will burn out, become a dinosaur, or just die already? Do you really think they are not asking these very same musical questions you're asking?

They are asking these questions constantly. Asking those questions and seeking the answers is their primary function.

Believe me, I understand how you feel about it. Do you think I ever want to hear "Panama," "Sweet Emotion," or "Bad To The Bone" ever again for the rest of my life? I will continue to play them two or three times a week no matter how I feel. I will play them until their popularity goes away. I don't care if it is another thirty years. Of course, if I stop getting paid to get people to listen to the station and start getting paid to produce a musically diverse playlist I will stop playing them immediately.

I can give you an anecdote that I probably shouldn't.

We do specialty weekends where listeners get to choose their own ten song playlist. We give them the option to choose any ten songs from the entire library. Then we play nothing but these ten song playlists all weekend.

We had to build in a mechanism for them to choose five "alternate" songs because 89% of the lists had AC/DC's "Back In Black" selected. I shit you not. 89%! We would have play it every fifty minutes.

Oh, let me spare you the effort...
We would have play it every fifty minutes.

Isn't that what you're doing already? HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Well played, Mr. Nunley... well played.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Bob Campbell wrote: Now, put down the New Kids On the Block CD and get back to work. :wink: :lol:
pull out your jean jackets with all the picture buttons on it.... they're reuniting for a 20th anniversary thingywhuptadoodle...

oh, don't even play like you didn't have one of those teehee

(razor blades available at the front desk)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Welcome back, Zak. Wherethehell have you been?
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

Please, no one play 'Year of the Cat'. I'm still burned out on it from the 70's.

I'm serious....
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

(HUGE SIGH-ing sound)

I KNOW!

IT CONTINUES TO WORK!

I'm just trying to figure out if there is a "joe-schmo-listener" cut-off like there is for us.

I know "Back in Black" hasn't reached it yet---nor has "Panama" and I'm also very aware Nunley that you're burnt as well.

I'M JUST ASKING IF THERE IS A CUT-OFF FOR THE FORMAT AS IT CURRENTLY EXISTS!!!!!!!!

When is "Run like hell" by Floyd no longer cool? EVER?
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Kitesgot wrote:
I'M JUST ASKING IF THERE IS A CUT-OFF FOR THE FORMAT AS IT CURRENTLY EXISTS!!!!!!!!

When is "Run like hell" by Floyd no longer cool? EVER?
Probably not.

Everything that is supposed to kill it never does. Ipods and home video games are introducing yet another generation to classic rock standards.
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

Here's another point to add to this discussion. Go to any local bar (a bar the demo hangs out in, not a club or college bar) and listen to the classic rock being played on the jukebox. It's the SAME stuff we are playing on classic rock radio. These beople are PAYING a buck for Back in Black and Sweet Emotion, that's how often they need to hear it. My girlfriend and I make note of it every time we go out for a beer. Sure the occasional guy throws in "Fat Man in the Bathtub" by Little Feat, but everyone in the bar stops singing along, and the bartender reaches for the remote to turn it down so people can chat during this unfamiliar oddity. That's a cool fuckin' song, but NOBODY cares.

It's hard to believe that people on a radio message board have such a hard time with this. Nobody in the business likes this shit, we're creative people by nature, but this is the way it is.

To the folks who are ready for something different in CR, how about posting a sample hour, and we'll discuss the pros and cons of said hour. It might be fun.

Rock On
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

HERE is an example:

A few years back, there was a very, very, popular format that can no longer be found anywhere.

60's Oldies. Nobody tries that any longer. Of course the format's listeners are, or have been dying off for quite a while now.

For as long as 70's Classic Rock has been around, does that happen with it as well, and we'll no longer hear the 'classic' cuts?

OR------

Do they remain popular to new, younger listeners because of their constant airplay and never go away?
Boss 97

don't forget the new WKQV 105.5

Post by Boss 97 »

Kitesgot said
I listened to KLC in 1982 religiously and most of the songs 20 years later were still in regular rotation. (that's not to say Nunley was doing it) THEN-----WFBY came on and I thought I was back in 1982 listening to WKLC again.........then go to Pittsburgh, flip on WDVE-----and I thought it was KLC in 1982 again!------It's like that everywhere.
Apparently you have not heard the new WKQV 105.5 FM
covering all of central WV! "105-KQV has a 4,000 song rotation!
Yes, the really big songs that define Classic Rock are played
more often, but there is a big in-between variety of songs to keep
our listeners coming back for more. At least that's what former
WKLC and WFBY listeners tell us.