Public File, make sure you have it right!

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

fmksey

Public File, make sure you have it right!

Post by fmksey »

The Commission is serious about how we all service our Public Files. We just got a $4000 forefeiture
per station (AM FM combo) for not having Issues Programming logs in the file. We had them but in a computer elsewhere in the station - but no hard copy iin the PF. Don't blow off that FCC check list.
Make sure you have the latest PUBLIC AND BROADCASTING in the PF. And everyone pay more attention to EAS -- in our case a printer messed up. Learn from us -- that surprise visit from an FCC agent can be a ballbuster.

Mark
Big Media

Re: Public File, make sure you have it right!

Post by Big Media »

Indeed. The public file is the single biggest "gotcha" the FCC has in its pocket. They will go over it with a fine-tooth comb. EAS is another one. Anytime you have an equipment failure, you damn-well better note it and provide any supporting material. If you fail to receive your tests from your sources, you better damn-well have it documented where you contacted the failed source (in writing) requesting the time of the test, etc. In other words... CYA.

I highly recommend hiring an outside consultant who specializes in doing public file audits. Peter B Fulton, Inc. would be a good choice. He is out of Ft Lauderdale, FL, and is the best in the business, IMO. He'll check everything including your public file, EAS and transmitter logs, license postings, etc. right down to your fire extinguishers and first aid kits. :)
fmksey

Re: Public File, make sure you have it right!

Post by fmksey »

I just finished a mock insection thru the (TAB) Texas Association of Broadcasters. I don't know if you do this in WV, but in TX - the TAB gives stations a certificate that you hang right next to your license(s) and the Commision can't mess with you for 3 years (check list stuff.) At $350 per station - best $700 I've spent in years. After pulling it all together, the only thing I missed was NRSC measurements. In my case the guy is only $290 - so hell, I told him just do it every year- don't need to talk to anyone, just do it. The guy who did the mock inspection said lots of stations forget about NRSC. And the most wacho thing was tower stuff - nothing wrong here - just the way the FAA/FCC communicate with each other - my engineer spent close to 10 hours figuring out why the FAA/FCC data didn't match

Mark