Interesting piece of history... (to me)

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting piece of history... (to me)

Post by Lester »

I knew my step-grandfather's affiliation with WPDX, but I did not know (or had forgotten) he got his start at WMMN.
Robert D. Hough

ELKINS -- Robert D. Hough, 89, of 26 Bridgewater Drive, Elkins, died Tuesday, April 18, 2000, at his home. His death was unexpected.

He was born April 30, 1910, at Fairmont, a son of the late Charles D. and Minnie B. Conklin Hough.

He was twice married. His first wife, the former Katherine Herrington, whom he married Aug. 20, 1931, at Oakland, Md., preceded him in death on June 20, 1981. His second wife, Ruth Lester, whom he married in November 1981, preceded him in death in April 1998.

Surviving are one son, Charles D. Hough and his wife, Phoebe, Dearborn, Mich.; two stepsons, Dr. Stephen Lester and Dr. William Lester; one grandson, Charles D. Hough Jr., and one granddaughter, Sarah Hough Daniels, both of Golden Valley, Minn.; three stepgrandsons, William Christopher, William Ira and Alex Lester; four stepgranddaughters, Anne Lester, Stephanie Chandler, Elisha Lester and Melissa Lester; one great-great-grandson, William Hough; two great-great-granddaughters, Kristen and Maren Daniels, and two stepgreat-great-grandsons, Bryan and Jason Lester.

Mr. Hough was a graduate of Fairmont West High School, Class of 1928. He was employed in various jobs until 1939, when he joined the engineering staff of radio station WMMN in Fairmont as a transmitter and control room engineer.

He was chief engineer of that station from 1942 until 1947, when he constructed a new radio station in Clarksburg. He was co-founder, chief engineer, vice president and part owner of radio station WPDX until its sale in 1963. He was a licensed radio amateur, having secured his license W8ESQ in 1931.

He belonged to the American Radio League, the Quarter Century Wireless Association, the Old Old Timers Club and the Antique Wireless Association.

He was a charter member of the Mountaineer Amateur Association in Fairmont and a life member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers.

In 1972, Mr. Hough became a licensed land surveyor in West Virginia and was a charter member of the West Virginia Association of Land Surveyors.

He was a former member of the Elkins Lions Club, having served for 35 years.

In 1956, upon the death of his brother, Mr. Hough became one of the trustees of the C.E. Hough Estate with properties in Randolph and Barbour counties. In 1963, he moved to Elkins to actively engage in the daily operation of the trust.

He was also a director and secretary of the Roaring Creek Coal Mining Corporation until its sale in 1976.

He was a member of the First United Methodist Church at Elkins.
http://www.cpubco.com/cgi-bin/LiveIQue. ... gFrontPage
JKF18

Re: Interesting piece of history... (to me)

Post by JKF18 »

I wonder why WVRC left the FM translator on 95.5 for WPDX to expire? Seems to me they could have done something with 750/95.5.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Wait a minute..."Lester" is your LAST name?!?

All this time..... :lol:
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I'm that man with three first names. Take your pick. :lol: