WSAZ Tornado Warning

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Arp2

WSAZ Tornado Warning

Post by Arp2 »

It's forever been said here that WSAZ is nothing but quality and totally deserves its dominant ratings, but I have to note that the youngster doing weather this afternoon just used a just-issued tornado warning as a tease rather than immediately relaying it. Seriously. He gave no details of where, what, why, or what to do....he just teased it and used it as an opportunity to play with the AR toy. And. honest to goodness, literally using double finger pistols!

What....da.....Battlestar Gallactica "frack".....has happened to our industry????

Unless it's just a "modern" tornado warning where "hypothetical" counts, there could be people about to die, and the kid is just bouncing along "Ive graduated college and am on TV! Yay, me! Insta another selfie! Double finger pistols!" and playing with his graphics toys.

Oh, wait....the adult has arrived, thank goodness. Resides nearby?!?

Well done, Tony....I hope you gave the kid one of those "teaching moment" smacks upside the back of his head. Do you think he even noticed you had taken the drastic step of reprimanding him live on-air? Somebody needs to haul him into an intimidating office and give him a lengthy lecture about the importance of weather to the health (survival?) of the local TV news business ON TOP OF THE VALUE OF PROPERTY AND, OF COURSE, THE INFINITE VALUE OF HUMAN LIFE!

Good grief....the kid just indicated it's better that one group of people flood and/or get destroyed than another group he's closer to. Shortly after, he said they'd stop talking about the dangerous weather "so you can get back to commercials." Geez...sheesh!

In the good ol' days, the kid would be off the air for a LONG period of time until he could demonstrate he truly understood the value of weather, property, and life and can handle adult decisions and emergency situations.

Most of us here have probably been fired for less than this. I'm not saying he should be, but what's it going to take for our industry and the people in it to take some things more seriously and get the bar back up where it used to and needs to be? But, on the other hand, at least this isn't a Tegna, so there might be hope......
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Re: WSAZ Tornado Warning

Post by Jay Nunley »

Generally, I am not on board for the majority of criticism and disdain heaped on Millennials and Gen Z. However, seated in the overblown and ridiculous are legit concerns and complaints about them. We could have a long and frustrating debate/internet argument about this, but I am not going to start it. I am just going to add thoughts about this one industry specific type of incident.

We have no "farm" system anymore and these two generations do not have the reverence, respect, relationship, and regard for our industry that dinosaurs do (or once did).

Consolidation and automation means there are almost no overnight, weekend, or other entry gigs in broadcasting. There is no place for anyone new to learn how to be on the air or get the requisite experience. Also, because the "teachers" are now attempting to run clusters of outlets, there is no one instilling or installing even the basic tenets of being a broadcaster.

Also, because veteran talent costs more these kids are put in positions they have no business being in, yet.

One other thing, this is for Milennials and Gen Z, actually showing up to work on time, every day, would go a long way toward ending a lot of the ridiculous criticism.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

Jay Nunley wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:32 pm We have no "farm" system anymore and these two generations do not have the reverence, respect, relationship, and regard for our industry that dinosaurs do (or once did).
I heard a very wise man recently say regarding this: "With the advent of social media, the only mentors these kids have is themselves"...
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

For quite a few years Tim Sharp was at Ohio U in Athens teaching and I believe running the J school. Many of his graduates went through our market and I believe WSAZ hired a few. They appeared to me to be well trained and experienced on air, at least what the University station could/would supply. Now I'm not saying every person Tim taught came out a diamond in the rough, some just won't polish. I'm just saying we're losing these old experienced salts as they retire and I believe I notice it throughout the business.
I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. Thomas Jefferson, January 30, 1787.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Arp2 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:46 pm the youngster doing weather this afternoon
Yeah, that guy annoys me. I have stopped watching WSAZ news entirely in favor of WOWK.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

GREAT POINTS, Jay! A note I learned secondhand on my way out of WRSG...the new radio team will issue certificates with a CTE (Computer and Technical Education) focus, allegedly allowing them to vault over local stations and clusters and go right to the big boys. We shall see. I think the thousands of people on the beach may have their own opinions.
Jay Nunley wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:32 pm Generally, I am not on board for the majority of criticism and disdain heaped on Millennials and Gen Z. However, seated in the overblown and ridiculous are legit concerns and complaints about them. We could have a long and frustrating debate/internet argument about this, but I am not going to start it. I am just going to add thoughts about this one industry specific type of incident.

We have no "farm" system anymore and these two generations do not have the reverence, respect, relationship, and regard for our industry that dinosaurs do (or once did).

Consolidation and automation means there are almost no overnight, weekend, or other entry gigs in broadcasting. There is no place for anyone new to learn how to be on the air or get the requisite experience. Also, because the "teachers" are now attempting to run clusters of outlets, there is no one instilling or installing even the basic tenets of being a broadcaster.

Also, because veteran talent costs more these kids are put in positions they have no business being in, yet.

One other thing, this is for Milennials and Gen Z, actually showing up to work on time, every day, would go a long way toward ending a lot of the ridiculous criticism.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen