Antibiotics and my idiot sister

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

CoolBreeze

Antibiotics and my idiot sister

Post by CoolBreeze »

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - West Virginia had more antibiotic drug prescriptions than people, in 2007 according to a new report by the Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics and Policy.

There were 1,222 antibiotic prescriptions per 1,000 people in the state that year, according to researchers at the Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit.

That's the highest per-capita antibiotic prescription rate in the nation.

Alaska ranked lowest in antibiotic prescriptions, with 550 dispensed per 1,000 people.

West Virginia's antibiotic rates also have increased in the last decade. In 1999, there were 1,191 antibiotic prescriptions per 1,000 people.

National antibiotic use decreased by about 12 percent from 1999 to 2007, going from 0.96 to 0.86 prescriptions per person.

Assuming West Virginians don't actually get more bacterial infections than other Americans, researchers speculate the high antibiotic prescription rate comes from doctors treating viral infections like bacterial ones.

"Patients may also be demanding antibiotics for viral infections, for which doctors prescribe to rapidly appease them rather than taking the time to educate the patient," Dr. Daniel Saman wrote on the center's website.

More... http://www.dailymail.com/News/statenews ... uild=cache

My idiot sister has been getting a penicillin shot every year like clockwork for the last 20 years. She claims that it "does wonders for her" in preventing colds etc. I tell my idiot sister every year that colds are viruses and penicillin wont help. Unfortunately, she's a typical WV hillbilly that wont listen to reason, and will die some day from all the antibiotics she takes.
"I know I've got a lot against me: I'm White, I'm Protestant, I'm hard working. Don't you have an Amendment to protect me"? Archie Bunker