Hit the road, Jack

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

OH... 8O

mahbad :wink:
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

That was what I feared the answer would be.

They're playing Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin in nursing homes.

Guns N Roses and Soundgarden are classic rock.

I only think about sex every four minutes instead of every three.

I dislike most young people.

I think teenage sex wager and nerd vs. jock movies suck.

What am I? Old now? How the hell did that happen?
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Jay Nunley wrote:That was what I feared the answer would be.

They're playing Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin in nursing homes.

Guns N Roses and Soundgarden are classic rock.

I only think about sex every four minutes instead of every three.

I dislike most young people.

I think teenage sex wager and nerd vs. jock movies suck.

What am I? Old now? How the hell did that happen?
it's the "magic thong" you've got strapped to your melon. that shit'll do it to you every time!
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

You are only as old as you feel and (as I'm feeling myself now) I feel pretty young.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Yeah, but "magic thongs" aren't really magic. That's just Saint Panties Day mythology that dates back to the Celts. It has something to do with the equinox and some vague belief that a "magic thong" signals virility or some shit like that.

These days it's just another marketing ploy by evil coporations to get us to buy magic thongs and other Saint Panties items. It's all about commerce. The holiday just doesn't mean much anymore. People have forgotten the true meaning. Liberals have declared war on Saint Panties Day. Kids can't even perform The Dance of The Magic Thong at school anymore. Of course, they don't have problem with muslim kids doing the Repression and Regression Celebration on Saint Burqa Day.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Nunley,Think of it as your taste "evolving" as you gain more "life experience".

But yeah, you're old. Remember when you were just an overnight fill in and I told you you sucked?

Crap, that makes me "real old".

But the Oldies format, where it is surviving and thriving ( like here, sorry Lester), is moving into the early 80's, away from the 50's and early 60's.

We use Tom Kent at night and he's played stuff like Tears for Fears. He's doing an 80's type Top 40 night show a lot like I did in Detroit and Boston.
I think he sounds quite good.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

..and if its any consolation to you Jay...you suck just as much now as you did when you were young. BTW since Bill France is off having a baby today, Jay, I will be hosting the famed 'VOW Classic Lunch Cafe.

Hairnets, anyone?
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Bob Campbell wrote: Remember when you were just an overnight fill in and I told you you sucked?
That hasn't changed much. I still suck.

Yes, I remember. I had just gotten booted off nights at WRVC (now WDGG) because I sucked. Your kind words did wonders for my self esteem and confidence.

That wasn't sarcasm. Proving you (and a number of other people) wrong became a great motivator. Bill Shahan and Burke Allen were encouraging and supportive. I was lucky. I had both kinds of teachers at the same time. Usually you only get one or the other at most gigs.

I never did prove any of you wrong, but I did learn two of my top ten radio lessons in the months I worked at WVSR.

I shouldn't work gay formats.

Grow a thick skin.

That was the last time I worked a gay format. That was 1989 or 1990. You were like around 50 then, so that makes you what? 90? 100?
lastone

Post by lastone »

Daveinthemorning wrote:
Bill France is off having a baby today
I dunnno....there's just something about Bill France popin' out a kid that's just funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Jay Nunley wrote:I shouldn't work gay formats.
And that is a valuable lesson to learn. Never...ever work a gay format.

Unless you're in San Fran.
Not that theres anything wrong with a gay format.
I'm just sayin'
CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

Bob Campbell wrote:Actually, music libraries are tested at focus groups. Geez, I hope that's what we paid for.
But most of what Arp says rings true. And the upper 50's guy is way out of the demo. Like I said earlier, they're probably trying for a demo about 5-8 years younger than the previous incarnation of Oldies. That means no 50's and some 80's. But Blue Oyster Cult seems way hard for the format.
That's too bad..... I'm 56.

I remember hearing "Jailhouse Rock" and "Rock around the clock" when they were new.

Lesley Gore, Roy Orbison and the Motown sound.

The Beatles, Rolling Stones and the British Invasion (at Rock Lake Pool no less)

Disco and Heavy Metal Hair Bands

I completely drew the line at Rap... as most of it is not music..period.

Needless to say, am more selective about any new music. But I still listen every single day. I'm a lot less selective than say.... the 13 to 30 crowd, because if you play most anything from 1956 forward, I'll probably like it. A "little" from the 50s. A lot from the 60s-70s, and quite a bit from the 80s-90s. After that it gets a little fuzzy and crappy for my age group. I listen to a LOT of radio and I spend a LOT of money. In a state that has one of the oldest demos in the nation... you'd think somebody would notice.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Unfortunately, as far as the agencies go, you died the day you hit 55.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

daveinthemorning wrote:BTW since Bill France is off having a baby today, Jay, I will be hosting the famed 'VOW Classic Lunch Cafe.

Hairnets, anyone?

france is still on the air down there???!!!???? He was hired for a wedding I attended a few months back.... I figured i'd enjoy his "shows" more as i aged... I was wrong... hehe but he's as much of an icon down there as lub and abner are.. ;)
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Icon? Uh, OK. He has been on the air since around '85 or so. He was in high school when he started here. He does well with his DJ service. In fact he is one of the best I've seen. His DJ service is a totally seperate company for 'VOW. At 39 he is about to become a daddy for the first time. I theory is he is having a kid so he won't have to pay for another employee for his company.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

hahahahah, the icon thing was pure sarcasm.. he does a good job of keepin a crowd goin' at parties though.
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
lastone

Post by lastone »

Bob Campbell wrote:
Unfortunately, as far as the agencies go, you died the day you hit 55.
Actually, you are legally DEAD at age 50, for if you are injured your compensation award is considered nill.....your future life has no value. Or so sayeth my lawyers after a failed quadruple bypass in 03"!

CoolBreeze wrote:
That's too bad..... I'm 56.

I remember hearing "Jailhouse Rock" and "Rock around the clock" when they were new.

Lesley Gore, Roy Orbison and the Motown sound.

The Beatles, Rolling Stones and the British Invasion (at Rock Lake Pool no less)

Disco and Heavy Metal Hair Bands

I completely drew the line at Rap... as most of it is not music..period.

Needless to say, am more selective about any new music. But I still listen every single day. I'm a lot less selective than say.... the 13 to 30 crowd, because if you play most anything from 1956 forward, I'll probably like it. A "little" from the 50s. A lot from the 60s-70s, and quite a bit from the 80s-90s. After that it gets a little fuzzy and crappy for my age group. I listen to a LOT of radio and I spend a LOT of money. In a state that has one of the oldest demos in the nation... you'd think somebody would notice
You sound very much like myself. (I'm 57)

MOR ( Middle Of the Road for you youngins') would be a format choice for me. However MOR was replaced by the industry as it squeezed out every possible "nitch" format it could think of. You can't mix light rock, light country, easy listening and standards, according to the "powers that be", but is exactly what we listen to at home and "flip the dial for "on the radio. Face it. The first 60 years of radio was MONO MOR and it worked. Although AC comes close, there are too many versions of that even. The quest for a large and LOYAL audience has been replaced with a "quickie format field" that if the numbers don't pop in six months is replaced with another. Junk radio. Back to basics guys. Back to basics.

I have noticed our local "oldies" station promoted itself as "personality radio" when the only "personality" they have is the morning man Mark, who does great but can''t carry the whole day! Perhaps after CC it will get better.
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Oh yeah ...Nunley....you ever consider that it's not the format that's gay?
Maybe you could be playing all metal and still be...well, light in the loafers?
NAAAAAAA>>>>>>>That would mean people like David Lee Roth, Judas Priest and others were gay...what!....AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

You don't get it.

David Lee Roth, Rob Halford, an etc. are homosexuals.

CHR, AC, and etc. are gay.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

David Lee Roth is a rock-n-roll GOD...not gay at all, just because he wears spandex and....uh...well...not that there's......

Never mind.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

True story: I'm doing mornings at WONE in AKron, we're doing the show from Vegas at the studios in the Stratosphere Tower. The engineer there used to do sound for rock tours, specifically, the DLR tour in the late 80's. Opening act was either Saigon Kick or Hanoi Rocks, can't remember which.
The engineer ( Monitor Bob was his nickname) says David lee was bangin the drummer for the openining act, that's why they're on the tour.
The board op back in Akron is a MAJOR VH/DLR fan. He hears us talking off air about this. Through the talkback he delivers one of the funniest things I've ever heard. In a heartbroken tone, he goes,

"That's rough shit about Roth".

Much pissing of the pants back in the Vegas studio.