FCC wants DTV volunteers

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Force Commander

FCC wants DTV volunteers

Post by Force Commander »

I was cracking up over this one.
For the past several weeks, FCC Chairman Kevin Martin has been trying to find a market or two where all the TV stations would volunteer to act as DTV guinea pigs and make the switch to digital late this summer or early fall—months ahead of the mandatory Feb. 17, 2009, deadline.

So far, he hasn’t had much luck.

Broadcasters across the nation have been begging off, telling the chairman that they would rather not—or simply cannot—cut off their analog service any sooner than they absolutely have to.

Working mostly through state broadcaster associations, the FCC has approached stations in at least 10 markets: Youngstown and Columbus, Ohio; Gainesville and Fort Myers, Fla.; Madison Wis.; Yakima, Wash.; Lexington, Ky.; Santa Barbara, Calif.; Wilmington, N.C., and Shreveport, La.

Of those, only stations in three markets—Santa Barbara, Wilmington and Shreveport—are still considering the matter.

The rest have said no thanks to the proposed experiment.
http://www.tvnewsday.com/articles/2008/04/30/daily.8/

You must sign up in order to read this. It's free to join.
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
AmpedNow

Re: FCC wants DTV volunteers

Post by AmpedNow »

You know, I don't feel sorry for them, because they've only had 12 freaking years to get everyone ready to convert to digital...

8)
genlock

Post by genlock »

What is the point of the program?
Does the FCC need the old analog frequencies for Homeland security or something?
It is not that far off to just wait.
I do think that the FCC has accepted applications for years for stations to become digital only.
They have even accepted and granted construction permits on a digital only basis.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

They're wanting early adopters to drive the loyal fan base to Best Buy before ALL the signals go kaput.

I got money that says a LOT of people are going to be left without a signal on Feb 17, just because no one made them move sooner.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Lester wrote:I got money that says a LOT of people are going to be left without a signal on Feb 17, just because no one made them move sooner.
Yep. The television industry, as a whole, is working feverishly to get each cable system operator on the phone to see if they are ready for this. Most are not. In fact, some MSOs in WV are either for sale or are planning to cease operations because there is not enough cash to make the upgrades.

All the while, the NAB is telling everyone that if they have cable or satellite, they needn't worry about DTV. :roll:
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

And the winner is... Wilmington, NC!

TV Week:
FCC Sets Wilmington, N.C., as Digital-Switch Test Market, Sources Say

By Michele Greppi and Ira Teinowitz

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin is set to announce Thursday that it will run a test of the switch to digital broadcasting signals in Wilmington, N.C., the smallest TV market in the Tarheel state, sources said.

The congressionally mandated national switch to digital takes place Feb. 19. The FCC didn't return multiple calls seeking comment.

The test in North Carolina, Mr. Martin's home state, is likely to take place before the November sweeps ratings period. If things do not go smoothly during the trial run, it could affect stations’ revenues during one of the months used to set advertising rates for the next fiscal quarter.

The Wilmington market, served by affiliates of all the major networks, is the 135th largest measured by Nielsen Media Research, which says 179,760 of the 182,500 homes in the area have televisions.

WWAY-TV, owned by Morris Multimedia, is the ABC affiliate in the area. NBC-affiliated WECT-TV and Fox-affiliated WSFX-TV are owned by Raycom Media. WILM-TV is the CBS affiliate owned by Capitol Broadcasting Co. WMYW-LP is the MyNetworkTV affiliate, and The CW has a cable-only affiliate. The market gets its public broadcast signal from WUNJ-TV.

Local broadcasters did not return calls seeking comment.

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps has been pushing for a test in a small market that met certain criteria, including that all broadcast stations’ digital signals already are on the air on the same channels where they will be found when the official digital switch takes place.

The idea is to learn, among other things, how many TV homes may be unprepared for the transition, which will require viewers to have digital sets, boxes that can convert digital broadcast signals to analog on older sets, or delivery of programs by cable or satellite services.

The sources who confirmed the announcement of the test weren't able to say when it may begin. However, the trial run will be preceded by a big education campaign by local stations about converter boxes and the availability of coupons worth $40 toward the purchase of the converters through local retailers.

Throughout the country, some 1 million coupons have been used as part of the National Telecommunications & Information Administration’s converter box coupon program, according to recent information.

(Editors: Jensen, Baumann. Updated at 8:55 a.m. to add local affiliates.)
http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/05/sour ... ton_nc.php
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Throughout the country, some 1 million coupons have been used as part of the National Telecommunications & Information Administration’s converter box coupon program, according to recent information.
Only one million? There's about 99 million left to go...

:lol:

There will be mass confusion, since most people don't pay any attention. But it's past time to make the full conversion to digital.
lastone

Post by lastone »

That number is wrong too. Most everyone (including myself) asked for two cupons, and got them. Now all I need is an antenna instead of "ears" !
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I got my two coupons but I haven't spent them yet. I still like the Zenith DT900 but I am waiting to see if another contender emerges.

By the way, my Wineguard amplified omni directional is working well to pull in everything except PBS. I am convinced the tuner has something against PBS or something. :P