Yep. Got an HD radio.

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

AmpedNow

Yep. Got an HD radio.

Post by AmpedNow »

I got it at Circuit City in S. Charleston on Friday. Got the JVC KD HDR30. I was looking for a new radio anyway, and it was reasonably priced with free installation. So I bit...

Anyway, here's some pics...

V-100 sounded clean. The audio blended almost perfect. I just wish I didn't have to suffer through Delilah...

:mrgreen:

KAZ didn't sound quite as good. The analog audio was louder than the HD, so it noticeably dropped when the HD kicked in. The highs sounded weird, too.

Public radio. Sounded about as clean as you could get.

The Wolf sounded good. The audio synced really well.

Plus, some other non-HD stations...

Got Summersville loud and clear.

Even got the Beckley "big mountain" signals clear.

The verdict

radio: Even if this unit didn't have HD capabilities, it is still a solid unit. FM selectivity is outstanding, and AM is not bad either. It sounds better and louder than my old Sony. And all the stations sound cleaner on this unit. Sirius sounds better through the AUX IN, but not as clean as HD.

As for AM-HD, I've gotten one HD pilot blink from KMOX, and one lock from WPHT in Philly. It locked for about two minutes before it faded out. So far, that's all.

HD: The sound is great, but honestly, there's not enough stations in WV using it to make it worthwhile. And nobody has an HD-2 that I could find. If I didn't travel to larger markets where I can take advantage of HD, I would consider the few extra dollars for HD capabilities a total waste of money.

V-100 gets my vote for best sounding HD, overall.

One suggestion I have concerns the unexciting tagging. Instead of simply "WVAF-FM", for example, why not have "V-100 HD" instead. It would look more exciting. In fact, everyone drop the -FM all together, and use HD instead.

I really like the HD concept, but it's still a long way to go before mass market.

Anyhow, glad to now be one of the 25 people in the entire state with an HD radio...

8)
GlenBrannon1

Re: Yep. Got an HD radio.

Post by GlenBrannon1 »

I have a Pioneer with a DirectConnect HD add-on. I have been thinking of going with the JVC so I could do away with the add-on.

I have found the delays between HD and analog have mostly disappeared and are in sync. AM sounds 100% better with HD. On the FM side, I can hear the low and high ranges of music clearer on HD.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

GlenBrannon1 wrote:I have found the delays between HD and analog have mostly disappeared and are in sync.
That's a product of the radio station's engineering department. If a delay exists, it's because they choose not to delay the analog signal by 7 (or is it 9) seconds.
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

K-Rock wrote: I just wish I didn't have to suffer through Delilah...
I completely understand...

How is the distance range on the HD side? My experience so far has been with static radios... does it flip back and forth alot when you're on the move? And how far from the transmitter does the usable HD signal carry? Is there a noticeable difference from station to station?
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

Dave, the last time I came through the state, I caught WKWS HD in the parking lot of the Beckley McDonalds, and then lost it back on 77 (expected), then I picked it and V100 up near the gorge, and mixed it seemed to mix steadily until Summersville, where I lost both, and got back into Bubba the Love Sponge. This was with my JVC HD Addon to the stock Trailblazer head unit.

AM side kinda sucks...I thought I'd get WBT in HD up in Greensboro, but not so much.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Dave Harman wrote:
K-Rock wrote: I just wish I didn't have to suffer through Delilah...
I completely understand...

How is the distance range on the HD side? My experience so far has been with static radios... does it flip back and forth alot when you're on the move? And how far from the transmitter does the usable HD signal carry? Is there a noticeable difference from station to station?
It stays locked about all the time locally. There were a couple places in the strip mall parking lot where multipath knocked it out. I was moving down the interstate Friday night when that storm hit, and it stayed locked the entire time.

Beyond city grade is where the problems start. On my radio, the HD pilot will blink about 4 times before it locks normally. On the fringes, the pilot will just keep blinking, but won't lock. If the HD signal is lost for a period of time, the pilot shuts off and the unit reverts back to standard number display.

I can already see that these hills and mountains will further complicate HD transmissions. But that's already true of analog.

JD, does that radio come with its own antenna? or does it hook up to the vehicle's?