The Rugged Robot Built to Rescue Trapped Miners

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

The Rugged Robot Built to Rescue Trapped Miners

Post by Lester »

Driven by an Xbox 360 controller and strong enough to drag a trapped person to safety, the Gemini-Scout Mine Rescue Robot could soon go places that are too dangerous for human rescuers.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... ped-miners
CoolBreeze

Re: The Rugged Robot Built to Rescue Trapped Miners

Post by CoolBreeze »

"I know I've got a lot against me: I'm White, I'm Protestant, I'm hard working. Don't you have an Amendment to protect me"? Archie Bunker
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

At 2:35 that shit gets real!
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

I love the recovery tether attached to the robot each time they run it through that puddle of water. I used to have similar straps tied off to my Jeep before I drove it through a mud hole so I could get tugged from the drink when I got stuck and none of us had wet shoes.

:roll:

Personally, this is a great device, but how far will that wireless radio signal go underground to remotely control the vehicle??? All the remote controlled equipment currently used in the mines now operate via tether or at very close range to the radio box. In many of the rescue situations, the miners are may be several miles from the portal.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.