Verizon Wireless

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

AmpedNow

Verizon Wireless

Post by AmpedNow »

It's been over a year now since they made the official announcement that they were taking over WV Wireless. The dismantling of WVW began almost immediately afterwards.

But now, it's as though both companies have completely disappeared. Internet searches turn up nothing. No news concerning VZW has been made since then. No new store announcements, either, except for Pullman Square.

The new network has not been turned on yet, either.

Just wondering if anyone has any info on when they're coming... It's kinda strange that they have completely dropped out of sight since then. I would've expected an ad campaign by now.

My contract is up for renewal soon, and I'd like to try out the new network before I recommit again.

Compare this to how long it took AT&T to take over Cellular One...
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

Something odd is going on there, simply because coming up back in December to hang with Charleston people, my Verizon company phone would not recieve calls, but would dial them and accept text messages. It never did that before. Support said that there was an unknown network issue in that market and I'd just have to ride it out.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

VZW built several towers in Hunt/Ash. in a rush that just vacuumed cash beginning in December 2006. The most recent tower was completed about 4 months ago above Veteran's Memorial Park. They've been "testing" for quite some time.
I believe they want to "light-up" with a network and services that will blow the other providers off the map but have the capacity and coverage not to over tax the system. I hope, for their sake, they get established before some of the WI-Max services hit the area.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

I have Verizon Wireless for my cell phone, and I love it. I have a LG VX8300 phone, and the reception is outstanding almost everywhere.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Ace Purple wrote:I have Verizon Wireless for my cell phone, and I love it. I have a LG VX8300 phone, and the reception is outstanding almost everywhere.
Throughout C/H and Southern WV, Verizon uses US Cellular to provide 1X "extended network" coverage. I can attest that they have good coverage overall.

My only guess would be that they are bringing the works with them when the network comes on. They are working to bring EVDO to practically everywhere, and I believe that the data network is a separate network all together from the voice network.

I remember that they said that all of the WV Wireless employees would be retained during the transition. But if that's the case, what are they doing now? It's not like there's any stores or anything...

:lol:
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

K-Rock wrote: I remember that they said that all of the WV Wireless employees would be retained during the transition. But if that's the case, what are they doing now? It's not like there's any stores or anything...

:lol:
WV Wireless has a huge storefront on the corner of 3rd avenue and 9th street (Pullman Square) in Huntington. Before the grand opening, the "Coming Soon" sign said, "Verizon". The sinage is now WV Wireless.

I know that the Tri-State part of the VZW buildout has burned through a couple of project managers and tons of cash.

VZW spent tens-of-thousands studing the viability of one of our towers to house their system. They abandoned that study when a nearby WV Wireless tower became available. Given how that part of the project was handled, I wouldn't be suprised if the WVW tower project is scrapped and they start the process all over again. They spent so much time and money testing a 500 foot "hole" in their current coverage on I-64.

...eh...but it was a free structural on the "big boy".
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

For what it's worth I was told by a VZW Ohio exec 18 months ago that they were building SE from Columbus into the Ohio River communities. They are now in Jackson and Athens, establishing tower sites in Gallipolis-Point Pleasant-Pomeroy. No word yet when they might reach Parkersburg-Marietta.

The exec said they build to kick ass upon arrival and, from what I've heard, they are.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Cameron wrote:WV Wireless has a huge storefront on the corner of 3rd avenue and 9th street (Pullman Square) in Huntington. Before the grand opening, the "Coming Soon" sign said, "Verizon". The sinage is now WV Wireless.
Interesting. WVW is noticeably absent from the rest of the state.
I know that the Tri-State part of the VZW buildout has burned through a couple of project managers and tons of cash.
This is probably what is holding up the rest of the state as well... Is it possible that the rest of the network is already built, and they're just trying to resolve the Tri-state issue? Or is this holding up the entire project?

But man... Almost 18 months into this already and not a peep from Verizon.

They better be hurrying because AT&T didn't take no time getting their network turned on over Cellular One. Their 3G network is due in WV by the second half of 2009.

8)
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

From http://www.wvgazette.com

Cellular telephone towers could be sprouting up again across Kanawha County as Verizon Wireless tries to expand its service here, city and county officials say.

The Charleston Board of Zoning Appeals will consider requests this morning to build two cell towers - one near Patrick Plaza, the other up South Park Road. A hearing for a third tower on Woodstock Place off Corridor G has been postponed until March 13 at the company's request.

Meanwhile, the Kanawha County Planning Commission approved five cell towers for Verizon Wireless earlier this month and will consider requests for three more in March. And the South Charleston City Council agreed to lease space in Little Creek Park last week for a Verizon Wireless tower.

John Luoni, an engineer in the county planning office, said he has been working with Verizon Wireless officials in recent weeks. "I think they are trying to get into the market here. You have Sprint, Alltel, but I don't think they had a presence."

The county planning commission has jurisdiction over cell tower locations in unincorporated areas of the county, Luoni said. In areas like Charleston, Verizon Wireless must deal with city officials.

It was unclear Wednesday how many towers the company is planning across Kanawha County, or beyond. A lawyer for Cellco Partnership, d.b.a. Verizon Wireless, declined comment on the company's plans, and the Gazette was unable to reach anyone with the company late Wednesday.

In Charleston, planning director Dan Vriendt said he plans to recommend approval of the South Park Road tower, which is in a rural area near the city line. But he opposes the second tower, to be built behind Charleston Cut Flowers on Iowa Street. The 185-foot tower would be built beside Kanawha Two Mile.

The city's zoning code encourages companies like Verizon Wireless to co-locate - that is, share space on an existing communications tower or other structure, Vriendt said. If companies want to build a new tower, they have to get a special permit through the zoning board.

Cellular telephone towers could be sprouting up again across Kanawha County as Verizon Wireless tries to expand its service here, city and county officials say.

The Charleston Board of Zoning Appeals will consider requests this morning to build two cell towers - one near Patrick Plaza, the other up South Park Road. A hearing for a third tower on Woodstock Place off Corridor G has been postponed until March 13 at the company's request.

Meanwhile, the Kanawha County Planning Commission approved five cell towers for Verizon Wireless earlier this month and will consider requests for three more in March. And the South Charleston City Council agreed to lease space in Little Creek Park last week for a Verizon Wireless tower.

John Luoni, an engineer in the county planning office, said he has been working with Verizon Wireless officials in recent weeks. "I think they are trying to get into the market here. You have Sprint, Alltel, but I don't think they had a presence."

The county planning commission has jurisdiction over cell tower locations in unincorporated areas of the county, Luoni said. In areas like Charleston, Verizon Wireless must deal with city officials.

It was unclear Wednesday how many towers the company is planning across Kanawha County, or beyond. A lawyer for Cellco Partnership, d.b.a. Verizon Wireless, declined comment on the company's plans, and the Gazette was unable to reach anyone with the company late Wednesday.

In Charleston, planning director Dan Vriendt said he plans to recommend approval of the South Park Road tower, which is in a rural area near the city line. But he opposes the second tower, to be built behind Charleston Cut Flowers on Iowa Street. The 185-foot tower would be built beside Kanawha Two Mile.

The city's zoning code encourages companies like Verizon Wireless to co-locate - that is, share space on an existing communications tower or other structure, Vriendt said. If companies want to build a new tower, they have to get a special permit through the zoning board.

"That's what these two cases are. Patrick Street is a gateway. This is going to be very visible," he said. "We're not convinced they've exhausted their co-location options."

Company officials said they couldn't find any cell towers nearby, he said. "We'd like them to look at other structures they could co-locate."

One area fairly close is a West Side hilltop antenna farm on Garfield Street. "It would seem to be in the line of sight," Vriendt said. "We'd like to know why that's not an option."

Kanawha County adopted a cell tower ordinance in January 2001, County Commission President Kent Carper said, after an earlier rush to build cell towers.

"We tried to stop it as best we could." But the ordinance has little power, he said. "We do not have zoning. We don't have that luxury.

"Once we got this renewed interest from Verizon, I directed our staff to go back to planning to see if would could tighten up our ordinance. Verizon is clearly making an investment, which is good, but not to have a cell tower every five feet.

"It's like these windmills. It's a blight, but people want service," he said. "Cell tower proliferation was a problem, and it looks like it's returned."
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

it was unclear Wednesday how many towers the company is planning across Kanawha County, or beyond. A lawyer for Cellco Partnership, d.b.a. Verizon Wireless, declined comment on the company's plans, and the Gazette was unable to reach anyone with the company late Wednesday.
Exactly. They've been very tight-lipped about everything.

However, we do know their end game... We just don't have a timeline.

Remember this story...
Verizon Wireless will begin today to serve the acquired West Virginia Wireless customers, using the existing West Virginia Wireless brand name. Over the next 15 months, Verizon Wireless will convert the existing GSM network in phases to a new CDMA network which will have high-speed broadband capability.
May 14 will be the 15-month mark.

Wonder if they will make it...
goradiomic

Post by goradiomic »

May 14 will be the 15-month mark.

Wonder if they will make it...
Not gonna happen. The last time I talked with anyone from Verizon was back in August or September, and they were still saying a year from then. Since nothing ever happens on time, I'll be surprised if anyone gets Verizon for Christmas this year.

But what do I know?
Last edited by goradiomic on Sat May 10, 2008 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmpedNow

Re: Verizon Wireless

Post by AmpedNow »

I was in Charleston a couple weeks ago, and set my phone to "home only". It picked up the Verizon Wireless network for a couple of seconds before I was booted back to extended network. It did this several times.

My guess is the network is on, but they're doing some closed field testing. Otherwise, why would I be booted?
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

http://news.vzw.com/news/2008/04/pr2008-04-01k.html
Verizon Wireless Rolls Out Evolutionary Store Design

Enhanced Hands-On Experience for Customers Available in More Than 280 Stores by the End of the Year

04/02/2008

LAS VEGAS, NV, and BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Verizon Wireless is breaking new ground in the U.S. wireless retail experience with the introduction of its evolutionary store design in more than 280 company-owned and -operated Communications Stores nationwide.

The stores offer consumers a high-tech and hands-on experience with wireless voice, data, music, and video services. The store design features a bright new design and integrates a number of innovative systems and operational enhancements designed to streamline the sales process and enhance the customer experience.

“With these stores, Verizon Wireless takes the next step in wireless retailing. We are committed to providing customers with a unique and engaging shopping environment as well as easy access to support services,” said Jack Plating, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Verizon Wireless. “Our new stores feature an evolutionary approach. The sales and customer service areas are designed to engage shoppers and deliver a great experience for new customers as well as current customers.”

Verizon Wireless has already rolled out the design in more than 100 locations nationwide (for a complete list, see below) and plans to introduce the new design in more than 180 additional locations – either new or existing – by the end of the year.

Among the features in many of the new stores* are:

* A dedicated demo zone where customers can explore, experiment and learn using interactive touch-screens or be guided by product-savvy sales staff.
* More than 55 working models of handsets, PC cards and other devices for customers to try.
* A greeter kiosk that allows customers to check in once they enter the store and list their wireless needs, so representatives can quickly assist them.
* A bill payment kiosk that allows customers to make account payments quickly and easily using checks, cash or credit/debit cards.
* Customer service and technical support departments, making it easy for customers to get account information, access customer service and address technical issues from trained in-store staff.
Pic

Coming to Huntington and Triadelphia.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Sprint EVDO is up-and-running in Huntington/Ashland.

Ntelos is re-selling Sprint EVDO in Huntington/Ashland and have been since the beginning of April.

Alltel Huntington/Ashland seems to be posting faster than 1X-speeds, also. Alltel has reciprical agreements with other providers, so they my be hopping-on Sprint as well.

Charleston may be a matter of weeks to a couple of months at the latest.

Verizon WV - too little too late?

Sprint is offering a $99.00 "all-you-can-eat" phone, data, TV, ect.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Cameron wrote:Sprint is offering a $99.00 "all-you-can-eat" phone, data, TV, ect.
Damn. That may be worth considering.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Testing...testing...

Towards the West, Sprint's EVDO RevA is looking good through Ashland, Arn-tun, and all the way to West Portsmouth

Alltel is getting 1x speeds (144kbps max - very bursty) just West of Huntington. Alltel speeds are spotty in Ashland and Arn-tun.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Any of you guys using these data services for remotes via Tieline or Comrex equipment?
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

County offers to share radio tower with Verizon

1250 a month seems a little high for tower rent, doesn't it?

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200804170683
Last month, Verizon withdrew a request before the Kanawha County Planning Commission to build a cell phone tower off of Fletcher Road near Alum Creek. Neighbors didn't want the massive tower near their homes.

Kanawha County Commission President Kent Carper has been fighting the proliferation of cell towers in the county. The county's cell tower ordinance asks phone companies to put up a new tower only if they can't share a tower with other phone companies.

Withdrawing the Alum Creek cell tower request left Verizon officials still needing a cell tower in the Alum Creek area. So they asked Carper if he could think of any place to put a tower that didn't infringe on local property owners.

"It occurred to me that I knew someone who had a tower," Carper said.

Carper said there was a perfectly useful radio tower on land the county already owned at the county Metro 911 Center off of Corridor G. He told officials for Verizon about the tower and asked if it would serve their needs.

"We're exactly where they need to be, and we have a tower," Carper said.

Almost immediately, Verizon officials asked if they could put a cellular transmitter on the tower. Carper said the transmitter won't interfere with the 911 system, because the county's emergency radios work in a different frequency range.

Verizon officials have signed a contract to use the Metro 911 tower. Members of the Metro 911 governing board must still approve the deal, but Carper believes there will be no objections.

Verizon will pay the county $1,250 a month to use the tower, Carper said.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Dave Harman wrote:1250 a month seems a little high for tower rent, doesn't it?
Depends on where it is, and what other options are available in the same area. Historically, having an "anti-tower" zoning policy (or the politically active, NIMBY, 'don't disturb the asthetics of my view' crowd) in a certain area drives up the rental prices for those with approved towers. Me thinks sharing of towers, antennas, feed lines, and microwave backhaul should have occured a long time ago. Customers, cell companies, and the Zoning Police would have all benefitted from this arrangement.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Kanawha County Commission President Kent Carper has been fighting the proliferation of cell towers in the county....Verizon officials still (needed) a cell tower in the Alum Creek area...."It occurred to me that I knew someone who had a tower," Carper said.

Carper said there was a perfectly useful radio tower on land the county already owned at the county Metro 911 Center off of Corridor G. He told officials for Verizon about the tower and asked if it would serve their needs.

"We're exactly where they need to be, and we have a tower," Carper said.
Huh....imagine that. :roll:

Well, if that's not a word-for-word example of the extortion and corruption that is socialism, then I don't know what is.

Or a word-for-word example of how the mob works. After all, they're usually one and the same, and it's always hard to tell the difference by the language used, alone.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"